Password Protect Windows XP Folders

Question

Whats the best freeware available to password protect Windows XP folders. I'm thinking there must be something on Sourceforge. What are your recommendations?

5 answers to this question

You don't "password-protect" folders.  You assign access rights to the folder to individual users and/or groups.  Look up Access Control Lists.

...and that's not XP-specific; this is a function of NTFS and it's worked this way for a long, long time now.

If you wanted to encrypt folders you would use EFS.. XP supported this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307877

What is the end goal here? If you looking to encrypt data via 3rd party solution I would look to truecrypt.

But without knowing details of what your wanting to accomplish its hard to say.. What I can tell you from experience is you let the user "encrypt" what will end up happening is they will lock themselves out of their own data and then blame IT to why they can not get access to their files.

efs can bet setup so their is always a recovery option that can be outside the users control.

Don't make users administrators of the computer and lock out the folders based on what user is logged in. That would be the cheapest. Next would be to encrypt folders or partitions.

But maybe if we knew a little more we could recommend something better.