Valve releases hardware specs for Steam Machine prototype
Here's the list of hardware specifications for the prototype:
- GPU: some units with Nvidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760 and some GTX660
- CPU: some boxes with Intel i7-4770, some i5-4570 and some i3
- RAM: 16 GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3 GB DDR5 (GPU)
- Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
- Power supply: Internal 450 W 80 Plus Gold
- Dimensions: approx. 12 inches x 12.4 inches x 2.9 inches high
"We wanted to accomplish some specific design goals that in the past others weren't yet tackling. One of them was to combine high-end power with a living-room-friendly form factor. Another was to help us test living-room scenarios on a box that's as open as possible," said Valve's Greg Cooomer in a post on the Steam forums.
Coomer also pointed out that the various Steam Machines that third-party manufacturers will release in 2014 may differ, "in many cases substantially," from the components and form factor of the prototype.
"To be clear, this design is not meant to serve the needs of all of the tens of millions of Steam users," Coomer continued. "It may, however, be the kind of machine that a significant percentage of Steam users would actually want to purchase — those who want plenty of performance in a high-end living room package."
Valve isn't ready to share images of the prototype's case, since the design hasn't been completed yet. But according to Coomer, the company will soon provide some "closer looks" at the Steam Controller.