Valve releases hardware specs for Steam Machine prototype

It's about serving gamers who want the convenience of consoles without the limitations (poor graphics, lack of upgradability, overpriced games, protracted lifecycles, lack of backwards compatibility, etc). Microsoft and Sony don't offer products for those willing to pay more, which is something Valve is hoping to capitalise on with Steam Machines. It's not about hating consoles but about catering to those who want a better product and are willing to pay for it.

Apparantly it's a heinous crime against humanity if your new product doesn't solve world suffering and begin an eternity of utopia these days.

• Like 1

All your points have been refuted by me and others in this thread, so unless you have a new argument, I'm done with your repetition.

If that's what you think sure, you've just repeated the same thing ad-nauseum without actually saying anything, and ignoring most of what I counter with, cherry-picking when it suits you, but sure, whatever helps you sleep at night. But since we know you're here just to spew your crap and argue (as mentioned by others) and not actually listen to anyone but yourself, I know you're not done. So feel free, enlighten me with more.

No, you're just incredibly stubborn and resistant to any form of change or experimentation. If it was down to you we'd all be using 8-bit monochrome terminals.

Lol don't even pretend to know me just to "prove" your insipid point. I have plenty of systems here that aren't running Windows, shockingly none of them are 8 bit or monochrome.. and we'll just ignore the fact that terminals were primarily the thing of Unix systems, not Windows, but hey, it sounded good so why not right? Have been using *Nix based systems long before Linux was even around, thanks, I know full well what it can and can't do. I'm all for change... when it's warranted, needed... or even when it's actually a change at all. Which this is not, at all, it's just a vehicle for Valve to sell more games.. do you think they really care (aside from Gabe's "crusade" against Windows) which platform a person has when they buy a game? When it's some company just throwing their hat into the ring and zealots push it as some miraculous "new" thing, not so much. So if you want to play the "derp Windows" card and resort to petty childish insults, knock yourself out.

Good for you, but not everyone is as stubborn or short-sighted as you are.

So.. you're pushing the option that's unoriginal, expensive, doesn't really bring anything new to the table and doesn't do everything that people will want it to do, and even lacks all of the titles supported by the other operating system as the superior option? And I'm the short sighted one? Lol sorry man, but your argument is just a joke now and you having to use "insults" to quantify your reasoning pretty much proves it. This argument was done time and time again.. Windows is going to be the death of gaming, Linux is going to be the savior of gaming, Steam coming to Linux is the new age of gaming, blah blah... and yet reality says otherwise. Hey if it happens, sure, I'll set one of my BSD or Linux boxes up for it... but until there's real proof of it beyond the usual forum tripe... I'll pass.

Apparantly it's a heinous crime against humanity if your new product doesn't solve world suffering and begin an eternity of utopia these days.

Indeed. Wanting a better product apparently means you hate anything inferior.  :rolleyes:

Indeed. Wanting a better product apparently means you hate anything inferior.  :rolleyes:

The concept of experimentation eludes some too, apparantly we should all just sit around and accept the status quo and not question it.

I can admit I was one of the people that said the original iPhone wouldn't take off and would be a failure, - look what happened with that. Sadly most people don't see potential until it's spoonfed to them.

According to the logic of some people here all companies in the world should not waste time challenging Microsoft and everyone shold fully embrace windows, windows RT, windows phone, the windows store, the xbox and xbox live and even give all their money to microsoft while we are at it. Talk about being short sighted.

Google should not have bothered with Android i mean Windows Mobile was there. Apple should not have bothered with Mac OS or iOS either. Sony and Nintendo should even quit the console market too why not.

There's a reason linux gaming is nonexistent. Nobody ever actually did invest in it and took the time to promote and support it. This is what Valve plans to do.

Now i'm not saying Valve will succeed. I'm not even saying it's a good idea. But Valve has all the reasons to be afraid of the windows store and the way Microsoft lock their products more and more. It looks like Microsoft is trying hard to be the next Apple these days.

Windows gaming is strong because it is the de facto standard not because MS invested a lot in it lately. In fact Microsoft has neglected PC gaming in favor of the xbox for a long time now. Had Microsoft ported XBox Live to PC from the get go with a proper client Steam would probably not even exist. Steam is there mainly because Microsoft said **** *** to PC gamers 10 years ago.

I can admit I was one of the people that said the original iPhone wouldn't take off and would be a failure, - look what happened with that. Sadly most people don't see potential until it's spoonfed to them.

Yes, but there's a big difference. The iPhone was something new. New device, new OS, new ecosystem. This is not. It's got nothing to do with any sort of perceived "status quo". It's a PC with Linux and Steam. Still a PC, nothing new. Runs Linux, nothing new. Still has the exact same ecosystem, nothing new. I have zero love for Apple, but at least I can plainly see the difference between a company that's actually innovating something new versus a company that's just taking existing items and repackaging it. At the end of the day you're still trying to put a pre-built PC on a pedestal. Hell even pre-built Linux systems aren't new, it's been done before. Or, let's put it into perspective. Take Linux off and bundle it with Windows instead, and try to call it "revolutionary." Absurd, right? Trying to compare it to an iPhone is a poor analogy at best.

What is somewhat innovative is that controller of theirs, I'll give credit where it's due. Dual sticks have been around for a long time and as someone who prefers a mouse, I wouldn't mind seeing something better if it gives me the same level of precision. I'm curious about it, will reserve judgement until actually trying one in person, but if it's as good as they're boasting I'll probably buy a couple if they're sold separately.

excuse me? you had BETTER watch the youtube video of linus torvalds FU Nvidia. better quit while you're behind. AMD has been VERY generous with Linux and drivers

Plus alot of people say they (Nvidia) have broken drivers for windows and linux

Yeah, you're a bit behind the times because he slagged both ATI and nvidia off because they only release binary blubs, not the source code. And let me refer you to nvidia's vast compatibility matrix supporting old and new cards on recent Xorg versions, not something with ATI is known for or co-operates on! Out of the big 3, intel probably have the best stance on GPU drivers because they're open sourced.

Never ever had problems with nvidia graphics on windows nor linux.

Yeah, you're a bit behind the times because he slagged both ATI and nvidia off because they only release binary blubs, not the source code. And let me refer you to nvidia's vast compatibility matrix supporting old and new cards on recent Xorg versions, not something with ATI is known for or co-operates on! Out of the big 3, intel probably have the best stance on GPU drivers because they're open sourced.

Never ever had problems with nvidia graphics on windows nor linux.

Behold Nvidia's great support of Linux.

Max Norris, on 05 Oct 2013 - 16:28, said:

Yes, but there's a big difference. The iPhone was something new. New device, new OS, new ecosystem. This is not. It's got nothing to do with any sort of perceived "status quo". It's a PC with Linux and Steam. Still a PC, nothing new. Runs Linux, nothing new. Still has the exact same ecosystem, nothing new. I have zero love for Apple, but at least I can plainly see the difference between a company that's actually innovating something new versus a company that's just taking existing items and repackaging it. At the end of the day you're still trying to put a pre-built PC on a pedestal. Hell even pre-built Linux systems aren't new, it's been done before. Or, let's put it into perspective. Take Linux off and bundle it with Windows instead, and try to call it "revolutionary." Absurd, right? Trying to compare it to an iPhone is a poor analogy at best.

What is somewhat innovative is that controller of theirs, I'll give credit where it's due. Dual sticks have been around for a long time and as someone who prefers a mouse, I wouldn't mind seeing something better if it gives me the same level of precision. I'm curious about it, will reserve judgement until actually trying one in person, but if it's as good as they're boasting I'll probably buy a couple if they're sold separately.

It will be perceived as something new. Look at Android. Consumers in general know little to nothing about Linux and SteamOS will not say Linux to them, it will just say gaming operating system more or less.

Regardless, gaming does need to diverge into other platforms than Windows. Guys like me have been stuck on Windows for years only because of games really. Not that it matters to me now though as I'm tired of the whole scene but consumers will see SteamOS and Steamboxes as something new. Whether it sells or not is anyone's guess.

• Like 2

ive very interested in this, but im not going to spend lots of money with this. I think ill stick with the PS4 for now.

It really depends on what publishers Valve can get onboard. The fact that Steam Machines is being widely promoted is certainly going to help. Publishers need to see a benefit to supporting it and that might be a bit difficult at first. I mean, just look at the software titles available on Steam - the catalogue isn't very diverse and it's mostly small companies.

So you consider, 2K, Activision, Atari, Bethesda, Boemia, Capcom, Codemasters, Epic, EA, Interplay, Lucasarts, Novalogic, Paradox, Popcap, Rockstar, Sega, Sony, Square Enix/Edios, THQ, Ubisoft, Valve and WB games as small companies?

Almost EVERY popular game is on Steam... Are you sure you actually have used Steam?

So you consider, 2K, Activision, Atari, Bethesda, Boemia, Capcom, Codemasters, Epic, EA, Interplay, Lucasarts, Novalogic, Paradox, Popcap, Rockstar, Sega, Sony, Square Enix/Edios, THQ, Ubisoft, Valve and WB games as small companies?

Almost EVERY popular game is on Steam... Are you sure you actually have used Steam?

That comment was in reference to software titles, not games.

Your list is a little dated there. EA no longer publish on Steam, Popcap is EA, and Lucasarts/THQ no longer exist. I think Atari bit the bullet too.

Well to be fair, Games are software, so it wasn't really that clear, but my mistake for the misunderstanding.

Yeah, apologies for any confusion.

The addition of software titles was Valve's last great initiative and has been very poorly supported. Titles like Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite are missing, while the selection of free software is really weak. You'd expect developers to be jumping at the opportunity to expand their user base.

Your list is a little dated there. EA no longer publish on Steam, Popcap is EA, and Lucasarts/THQ no longer exist. I think Atari bit the bullet too.

Well there are 53 EA Games on Steam, Popcap has 37, Lucasarts is still alive and kicking see - http://www.lucasarts.com/ and this story from just 7 hours ago - http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/disney-lucasarts-to-launch-star-wars-tiny-death-star-with-tiny-tower-creator-nimblebit-1200694453/

Atari I think is now WB Games in some aspect.. but the point is the games are still part of the Steam catalog.

Well the XB1 is supposed to be able to stay on for 10 years straight and the PS4 is supposed to have a decent lifespan (maybe ~7 years, probably not 10 years continuously on).

I wonder what the expected life of one of these Steam Machines is... Small box, hot components, underpowered PSU...

Well there are 53 EA Games on Steam, Popcap has 37, Lucasarts is still alive and kicking see - http://www.lucasarts.com/ and this story from just 7 hours ago - http://variety.com/2013/digital/news/disney-lucasarts-to-launch-star-wars-tiny-death-star-with-tiny-tower-creator-nimblebit-1200694453/

Atari I think is now WB Games in some aspect.. but the point is the games are still part of the Steam catalog.

Yeah there are games there, just that the respective entities no longer publish titles on Steam for whatever reason. I have a small number of old EA published titles on Steam myself.

As far as Lucasarts is concerned they're just an IP/licensing house at this point. I don't think we'll be seeing anything new from them in the future. :(

I wonder what the expected life of one of these Steam Machines is... Small box, hot components, underpowered PSU...

As I understand it, most parts are just going to be over the counter parts. If that is the case, they should be easily upgradeable. Just like a PC. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 500 watt PSU works fine with my i5 2500k @ 4Ghz and a GTX 770!

Your system is under powered. The minimum requirement for your GPU is 600 watt. That is because the GTX 770 uses approximently 390 watts under load. Your CPU uses about 164 watts. That is 554 watts. 54 watts more than your PSU can put out, and that is not including your moatherboard, RAM, HDD's and soundcard.

You're straining your PSU and that is not good. You're severly shortning it's life span. PSU's are most efficianct between 50% to 60% load. You should invest in a new power supply.

Your system is under powered. The minimum requirement for your GPU is 600 watt. That is because the GTX 770 uses approximently 390 watts under load. Your CPU uses about 164 watts. That is 554 watts. 54 watts more than your PSU can put out, and that is not including your moatherboard, RAM, HDD's and soundcard.

You're straining your PSU and that is not good. You're severly shortning it's life span. PSU's are most efficianct between 50% to 60% load. You should invest in a new power supply.

*80% AFAIK most efficient.