Trouble updating XP

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 21

Posted 04 October 2013 - 23:12

I am not sure if it's been mentioned before in this thread. I think that maybe you should download wsus offline. It might work but I am not sure being that it wasn't mentioned at all. Maybe someone else might state wsus offline so that it could be mentioned in this thread. But if I were you I would go Google wsus offline and download it to see for yourself and then you can mention wsus offline in this thread so that the op can use it for his issue.

#17 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 04 October 2013 - 23:41

I am not sure if it's been mentioned before in this thread. I think that maybe you should download wsus offline. It might work but I am not sure being that it wasn't mentioned at all. Maybe someone else might state wsus offline so that it could be mentioned in this thread. But if I were you I would go Google wsus offline and download it to see for yourself and then you can mention wsus offline in this thread so that the op can use it for his issue.

Oh you...  :shifty:

#18 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 October 2013 - 00:14

I don't mean to be a jerk but sometimes you have to wonder do people read, if they do read do they look up what they don't know or do they expect a magic snake to jump out of the screen, bite them on the nose, and say hey this is what you were looking for and it has been all over this topic. It is like my son looking for his shoes everywhere in the house but in the middle of the floor out in plain site, nothing covering them, nothing blocking his view... All he would have to do is open his eyes and he would find them.

#19 PeRTeX

PeRTeX

Neowinian

Posted 05 October 2013 - 00:17

I'm not sure if this was a reply to me but I prefer downloading the ISOs offered from Microsoft Website because download speed using wsus offline is so slow with my connection.

#20 OP Dubstep Nixon

Dubstep Nixon

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 05 October 2013 - 00:24

I'm not sure if this was a reply to me but I prefer downloading the ISOs offered from Microsoft Website because download speed using wsus offline is so slow with my connection.

In the latest version of the WSUS offline tool I noticed it had an option to use Aria2 instead of wget. I didn't try it but it says it is faster.

Anyway the computer is all updated now. Once the automatic updater installed its first little batch of updates from the system tray I was able to use the normal Windows Update site without any more problems. Hopefully Microsoft will fix whatever is causing this issue but with XP support ending soon they probably won't.

#21 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 October 2013 - 00:28

Unfortunately wsus offline is slow, however it is something that needs to be done once a month after updates come out. You can let it run over night and unless you are on dial up, it should be done by the morning provided you have the previous months cache. It more has to do with the process of checking the files than the actual download. Even on a 100Mb/s line it still takes a few hours to complete because of this check process.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!