texas decency respect for others trend stop saggers

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,705 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 23:30

"No shoes, no shirt, no service" is a common rule posted outside many restaurants, but now you can add saggy pants to the list of forbidden attire.

At least two Houston-area McDonald's have banned low-slung, baggy trousers. "The signs say, 'Pull your pants up or don't come in. Try to have some decency and respect for others. No one wants to see your underwear,'" the manager of one of the restaurants told Yahoo Shine (he preferred not to use his name). He added that the rule doesn't apply to young children.

A spokesperson for McDonald's said that she had heard of the ban and that individual franchises are free to impose their own dress-code policies. "It's our understanding [that the restaurants] chose to do so of their own accord and to reflect what they feel is appropriate for their community business," she explained via an email to Yahoo Shine. "We continually strive to maintain a positive restaurant environment in which everyone feels valued and accepted."

While the trend might just be starting in Houston, Dallas City Council member Dwaine Caraway, who once served as mayor of the city, has made it his personal mission to "stop saggers" since he first ran for office in 2007. He said that in Dallas, the number of businesses, including at least 25 McDonald's, that have followed his lead "are too many to count, but not enough." Caraway has been speaking out against men wearing pants that expose their underwear and hopes to spark a national movement. "They show a tremendous disrespect for society, themselves, and especially women."

more

#2 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,990 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 04 October 2013 - 23:47

Good. I don't mind when your T-shirt is big enough to cover what's exposed. But when I can see your underpants and the top of your crack them it should be classed as indecent exposure.

#3 arachnoid

arachnoid

Copyright Withheld

• 3,528 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 23:51

Now if only Walmart would follow suit

#4 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,262 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 04 October 2013 - 23:54

Bout damn time, all places need to ban that retarded look, you only look like a moron with your pants falling off your ugly ass

#5 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,809 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 23:57

Now if only Walmart would follow suit

But then they'd have no customers!

#6 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,349 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 05 October 2013 - 00:06

We're talking about two stores out of over 34,000 - it hardly warrants reporting. McDonald's is a franchise meaning that franchise owners and managers have some discretion over the policies of their stores. Most stores won't take any action unless there are substantial numbers of complaints or concerns about indecency. Stores located next to beaches and in hotter locations will have much more skin showing than saggy pants and it wouldn't be in their best interests to ban such customers.

PS - It really doesn't surprise me that the stores in question are located in Texas, as the customer base is a lot more conservative than average.

#7 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,262 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 00:14

We're talking about two stores out of over 34,000 - it hardly warrants reporting. McDonald's is a franchise meaning that franchise owners and managers have some discretion over the policies of their stores. Most stores won't take any action unless there are substantial numbers of complaints or concerns about indecency. Stores located next to beaches and in hotter locations will have much more skin showing than saggy pants and it wouldn't be in their best interests to ban such customers.

PS - It really doesn't surprise me that the stores in question are located in Texas, as the customer base is a lot more conservative than average.

This is not a "conservative" or "liberal" thing, jeep your misguided politics out of it, it's about looking like a moron in public and people getting tired of it

#8 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,990 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 05 October 2013 - 00:24

I see lots of Americans online try and inject politics into everything, please don't start doing the same.

#9 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,349 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 05 October 2013 - 00:32

I see lots of Americans online try and inject politics into everything, please don't start doing the same.

My point was referring to social values rather than political ideology and it was an observation rather than a judgement.

#10 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,262 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:42

My point was referring to social values rather than political ideology and it was an observation rather than a judgement.

don't lie, you go out of your way to criticize and complain about EVERYTHING American, just admit your hate and move on, you'll look better in the long run

#11 x-scratch

x-scratch

whaaaaaaaat

• 2,805 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:55

good now they need to do this in other cities

#12 Tha Bloo Monkee

Tha Bloo Monkee

Da Ba Dee Da Ba Die

• 4,141 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:09

While not defending the look, there is somewhat of a double-standard to this:

Caraway has been speaking out against men wearing pants that expose their underwear and hopes to spark a national movement.

Men expose their underwear = ban.

Women exposing their underwear/thong/whatever = perfectly fine.

... at least 25 McDonald's, that have followed his lead "are too many to count, but not enough."

Over 25 is "too many to count"?  :laugh:

#13 +zhiVago

zhiVago

World Citizen

• 9,318 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:20

don't lie, you go out of your way to criticize and complain about EVERYTHING American, just admit your hate and move on, you'll look better in the long run

This is the second time I've seen theyarecomingforyou being accused of hating America. I honestly don't know where anyone could get such notions from. He doesn't hate America. If he did, he'd post messages of hate as opposed to the objective and constructive criticism his posts are known for.

To me, it seems that he worries about the future because he isn't indifferent to the state of affairs there, and, in its turn, because he may actually love the country.

#14 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,809 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:39

This is the second time I've seen theyarecomingforyou being accused of hating America. I honestly don't know where anyone could get such notions from. He doesn't hate America. If he did, he'd post messages of hate as opposed to the objective and constructive criticism his posts are known for.

To me, it seems that he worries about the future because he isn't indifferent to the state of affairs there, and, in its turn, because he may actually love the country.

Some people are just unable to view criticism as anything other than hate.  Such people are the true haters.

#15 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 20,983 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 (very cheap second hand)

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:52

Some people are just unable to view criticism as anything other than hate.  Such people are the true haters.

In this I agree with you.

Criticism is either objective/constructive, so it cant be hate. If it's destructive then it should be easily discarded.