McDonald's locales institute dress code

"No shoes, no shirt, no service" is a common rule posted outside many restaurants, but now you can add saggy pants to the list of forbidden attire.

At least two Houston-area McDonald's have banned low-slung, baggy trousers. "The signs say, 'Pull your pants up or don't come in. Try to have some decency and respect for others. No one wants to see your underwear,'" the manager of one of the restaurants told Yahoo Shine (he preferred not to use his name). He added that the rule doesn't apply to young children.

A spokesperson for McDonald's said that she had heard of the ban and that individual franchises are free to impose their own dress-code policies. "It's our understanding [that the restaurants] chose to do so of their own accord and to reflect what they feel is appropriate for their community business," she explained via an email to Yahoo Shine. "We continually strive to maintain a positive restaurant environment in which everyone feels valued and accepted."

While the trend might just be starting in Houston, Dallas City Council member Dwaine Caraway, who once served as mayor of the city, has made it his personal mission to "stop saggers" since he first ran for office in 2007. He said that in Dallas, the number of businesses, including at least 25 McDonald's, that have followed his lead "are too many to count, but not enough." Caraway has been speaking out against men wearing pants that expose their underwear and hopes to spark a national movement. "They show a tremendous disrespect for society, themselves, and especially women."

more

• Like 3

Good. I don't mind when your T-shirt is big enough to cover what's exposed. But when I can see your underpants and the top of your crack them it should be classed as indecent exposure.

Bout damn time, all places need to ban that retarded look, you only look like a moron with your pants falling off your ugly ass

• Like 2

We're talking about two stores out of over 34,000 - it hardly warrants reporting. McDonald's is a franchise meaning that franchise owners and managers have some discretion over the policies of their stores. Most stores won't take any action unless there are substantial numbers of complaints or concerns about indecency. Stores located next to beaches and in hotter locations will have much more skin showing than saggy pants and it wouldn't be in their best interests to ban such customers.

PS - It really doesn't surprise me that the stores in question are located in Texas, as the customer base is a lot more conservative than average.

We're talking about two stores out of over 34,000 - it hardly warrants reporting. McDonald's is a franchise meaning that franchise owners and managers have some discretion over the policies of their stores. Most stores won't take any action unless there are substantial numbers of complaints or concerns about indecency. Stores located next to beaches and in hotter locations will have much more skin showing than saggy pants and it wouldn't be in their best interests to ban such customers.

PS - It really doesn't surprise me that the stores in question are located in Texas, as the customer base is a lot more conservative than average.

This is not a "conservative" or "liberal" thing, jeep your misguided politics out of it, it's about looking like a moron in public and people getting tired of it

I see lots of Americans online try and inject politics into everything, please don't start doing the same.

I see lots of Americans online try and inject politics into everything, please don't start doing the same.

My point was referring to social values rather than political ideology and it was an observation rather than a judgement.

My point was referring to social values rather than political ideology and it was an observation rather than a judgement.

don't lie, you go out of your way to criticize and complain about EVERYTHING American, just admit your hate and move on, you'll look better in the long run

While not defending the look, there is somewhat of a double-standard to this:

Caraway has been speaking out against men wearing pants that expose their underwear and hopes to spark a national movement.

Men expose their underwear = ban.

Women exposing their underwear/thong/whatever = perfectly fine.

... at least 25 McDonald's, that have followed his lead "are too many to count, but not enough."

Over 25 is "too many to count"?  :laugh:
  • Like 1

don't lie, you go out of your way to criticize and complain about EVERYTHING American, just admit your hate and move on, you'll look better in the long run

This is the second time I've seen theyarecomingforyou being accused of hating America. I honestly don't know where anyone could get such notions from. He doesn't hate America. If he did, he'd post messages of hate as opposed to the objective and constructive criticism his posts are known for.

To me, it seems that he worries about the future because he isn't indifferent to the state of affairs there, and, in its turn, because he may actually love the country.

• Like 1

This is the second time I've seen theyarecomingforyou being accused of hating America. I honestly don't know where anyone could get such notions from. He doesn't hate America. If he did, he'd post messages of hate as opposed to the objective and constructive criticism his posts are known for.

To me, it seems that he worries about the future because he isn't indifferent to the state of affairs there, and, in its turn, because he may actually love the country.

Some people are just unable to view criticism as anything other than hate.  Such people are the true haters.

• Like 1

Some people are just unable to view criticism as anything other than hate.  Such people are the true haters.

In this I agree with you.

Criticism is either objective/constructive, so it cant be hate. If it's destructive then it should be easily discarded.

• Like 1

Indecent exposure McKay? Really?? For sagging pants? Get over it. What is with society today that goes for the instant, over the top reaction and places things in the most serious category of behavior? It's stupid ###### like this which is why the government is shut down... instant outrage over something someone else doesn't like and as a result people try to have most serious consequences occur to make a point.

Yes... Sagging pants are annoying, and yes, an eye sore to me, but to class them with someone who's exposing their genitals for having the top of their crack (which would be perfectly acceptable with a chick wearing a midshirt or bikini) is just ridiculous.

Well the cities in Texas tend to be more liberal than the rest of Texas (as is true for virtually everywhere else in the world), so I wouldn't really place too much emphasis on "conservative vs. liberal". Also, this sort of thing I have seen where I live, and I'm in a fairly liberal place.

Next to the drive by they should have a low rider window for those who cant seem to get dressed properly in the morning and the comment about it being fine for women but not men to show skin may be a jovial response but there are people even men gasp! , whos moral standards do object to both types whilst they are eating.

If you read the 'more' you'll see that:

... including at least 25 McDonald's, that have followed his lead ...

And it is starting in other states as well.

A lot of shops in Liverpool and elsewhere in the UK have banned people from wearing hooded tops with the hood up in the shops. I can imagine that this follows a similar line of 'anti social behaviour.'

Obviously the hoods thing has the additional 'we can't see your face if you commit a crime' factor. But still, I think it's a good thing (Y)

I hate people who wear their clothes like that simply cause they look like a ######...but at the same time... everyone who is supporting this is rather foolish....its clothes? its underwear ? if you take offence to being able to see some boxers then you need a life...what is the difference to someone walking in with shorts on ? its a persons right to be able to wear what they want if anything at all....

I think this is just discrimination against those who dress like this ...taking on some kind of assumption about them

A lot of shops in Liverpool and elsewhere in the UK have banned people from wearing hooded tops with the hood up in the shops. I can imagine that this follows a similar line of 'anti social behaviour.'

Obviously the hoods thing has the additional 'we can't see your face if you commit a crime' factor. But still, I think it's a good thing (Y)

when they say no burkers (forgive the spelling) ...il support the no hoods...though I normally remove my hat or hood when walking into somewhere just out of Curtis habit, but if I dont remove it...I wont remove it if asked