microsoft security antivirus mse

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 DarkNet

DarkNet

Neowinian

• 929 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:33

Microsoft has admitted Windows users should install antivirus above and beyond its own Security Essentials, describing its protection as merely a "baseline" that will "always be on the bottom" of antivirus software rankings.

Microsoft launched Security Essentials in 2009, raising complaints from antivirus rivals that such software shouldn't be bundled with Windows for competition reasons.

However, the most frequent complaint about Security Essentials is that it's not good enough: it flunked a pair of tests earlier this year - including one from Dennis Technology Labs, a testing firm affiliated with PC Pro's publisher.

Now, Microsoft has said it sees Security Essentials as merely the first layer of protection, advising customers to use additional, third-party antivirus - although the company stressed that wasn't because the product wasn't good enough to stand on its own.

Read more at source: http://www.pcpro.co....ivirus-rankings

#2 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 10,722 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:41

Well, paid av suites usually update their definitions and such more often so I'm not surprised, some even have excellent firewalls

But I am glad MSE is available as it's still better than nothing

#3 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,542 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:49

Microsoft advising customers to use additional, third-party antivirus ..

wait, didn't most PC-security gurus usually said that you should NOT use anti-virus on top of another?

#4 John.D

John.D

Neowinian

• 637 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:51

Too bad most of the 3rd party AV programs crash, (ie:ZA, Avast,Bitdefender, Kaspersky, AVG). You only have to search on sites like the MS Answers site

#5 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 10,722 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:08

Too bad most of the 3rd party AV programs crash, (ie:ZA, Avast,Bitdefender, Kaspersky, AVG). You only have to search on sites like the MS Answers site

Sorry, but no they don't, mine has never crashed, neither has anyone else I know physically, and I'm less likely to believe online stats due to bias one way or the other, As it just happens my uncle works for Symantec UK and I've read a few of the satisfaction reports stating which product was serving which user better etc... and 3 of the products in your list are listed as among the better and more reliable products

edit.

Sorry about my choice of words if you found it offensive, it was not my intention.

#6 incendy

incendy

Neowinian

• 368 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:13

I guess I am just lucky, but I have never ever had a virus. How the heck do the users at my work get them on a daily basis :D

#7 John.D

John.D

Neowinian

• 637 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:29

Just because it MAYbe better, it doesnt mean it WONT crash. And just because it doesnt crash on your system, it doesnt mean it wont crash on other systems.

IMO most of these 3rd party AV programs are hype. And all these companies are after, is money. It really depends WHAT you do online, WHAT you get/download and WHAT you install.

If you install anything (and you've got no idea what it is, and /or what it does), then you'll need something. Or don't put it on the internet

#8 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

• 1,381 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:40

Pardon my ignorance but if this was a flat out admission, wouldn't it be across most tech sites by now? I'm also not familiar with the source but I'm not from the UK.

#9 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,519 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:42

wait, didn't most PC-security gurus usually said that you should NOT use anti-virus on top of another?

its like trying to wear 2 rubbers on top of each other. the friction will cause a break,then you will get infected with something pretty nasty.

#10 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 10,722 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:44

Pardon my ignorance but if this was a flat out admission, wouldn't it be across most tech sites by now? I'm also not familiar with the source but I'm not from the UK.

a very closely related story to this was posted here on this site back in January I think along with cnet and a few other sites, front page, but the page became an all out flame war I can't seem to find it, I must have deleted the favourite.

#11 Mazhar

Mazhar

Neowinian Senior

• 5,271 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:47

Using MSE from day 1 since it has been released in my office PC, home PC, and Laptop and never had any issue with it, it has never crashed, nor I had any single virus on the PCs. I may agree that it is the basic security suite but it is way more better than third party suites available today.

#12 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

• 10,722 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:52

I guess I am just lucky, but I have never ever had a virus. How the heck do the users at my work get them on a daily basis :D

NSFW  links? :shifty:

#13 +kpo6969

kpo6969

Neowinian

• 446 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:04

http://news.softpedi...ct-386213.shtml

http://www.pcworld.c...ndled-tool.html

#14 +Yorak

Yorak

Insubordinate

• 3,391 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:05

Using MSE from day 1 since it has been released in my office PC, home PC, and Laptop and never had any issue with it, it has never crashed, nor I had any single virus on the PCs. I may agree that it is the basic security suite but it is way more better than third party suites available today.

The only thing that Microsoft Security Essentials has going for it is having little to no false positives. Look at any professional AV testing company results. MSE has much lower detection rates. Almost embarrassing low. How is it "way more better than third party suites available today"? There are only a handful of programs that are worse, and they are from companies I have never even heard of.

Furthermore, I have done my own AV testing once a year for the past few years. MSE has continued to give poor results. Of course you may say that if you know what you are doing, you will not get infected. I have not been legitimately infected once in my adult life. However, I like knowing that the software I have is going to do the job correctly. Currently, I use avast! because after testing, it had one of the best detection rates and it is also free (I have no need for the options in the professional version). Previous to this I was subscribed to ESET NOD32 for about three years and Avira Premium Antivirus for one. So in the end, I do not mind having a dozen false-positives since it is coupled with a detection rate higher than 98%.

#15 ozgeek

ozgeek

Neowinian Senior

• 7,936 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:36

For the average joe, MSE is all you need. I have MSE on all my systems and never had any issues. Infact I do my banking on my main system with MSE installed and I download trainers for games onto it.  Done this for years.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!