• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,064 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:11

Windows 8 has been out for 2 years now? That's news to me.

They're probably including the Developer Preview in that figure.

And how is lowering the price of a windows licence to put them on a level playing field to Android, thereby providing a choice of OS to the consumer a bad thing?

It's not, directly. The issue is the way Microsoft has litigated to drive up the cost of Android, with it actually costing manufacturers more to ship with Android—a free operating system—than to pay the licence fee for Windows Phone. A lot of the time it relates to ridiculous patents that should never have been awarded but take years to challenge. It's hard for smaller companies to defend themselves against such litigation and they usually end up settling at an excessive rate. Microsoft then uses that position to try to pressure manufacturers into including Windows Phone. I just don't have any respect for such business practices.

#17 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• 4,756 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:32

They're probably including the Developer Preview in that figure.

It's not, directly. The issue is the way Microsoft has litigated to drive up the cost of Android, with it actually costing manufacturers more to ship with Android—a free operating system—than to pay the licence fee for Windows Phone. A lot of the time it relates to ridiculous patents that should never have been awarded but take years to challenge. It's hard for smaller companies to defend themselves against such litigation and they usually end up settling at an excessive rate. Microsoft then uses that position to try to pressure manufacturers into including Windows Phone. I just don't have any respect for such business practices.

Good ol' Motorola is manufacturing their phones in 'Murica because they are being patriotic. Oh no...wait,thats not actually why. These "ridiculous" patents were challenged in court,and Motorola got their butts handed to them,and now their phones are banned from importation in the U.S . 

#18 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,158 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:04

Good ol' Motorola is manufacturing their phones in 'Murica because they are being patriotic. Oh no...wait,thats not actually why. These "ridiculous" patents were challenged in court,and Motorola got their butts handed to them,and now their phones are banned from importation in the U.S . 

they're being assembled in the US because the economy is horrible here it's finally cheap enough to pay someone to assemble it here, the parts are still sourced from China and Taiwan as ususal

#19 Rock Smith

Rock Smith

Neowinian

• 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:07

Bailey Jay

Dude that was not what I was expecting. I am disappointed.

#20 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:25

I'm not dissing Chrome OS because I have a Samsung Chromebook and love it. But I'm not sure what Google is trying to accomplish here. If you run Chrome you basically run Chrome OS.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!