Photo

Microsoft shows off more of Xbox SmartGlass for Xbox One games

just dance 2014 project spark dead rising 3 gaming xbox smartglass xbox one microsoft

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

Posted 06 October 2013 - 20:36

Microsoft shows off more of Xbox SmartGlass for Xbox One games
by John Callaham

Microsoft has already announced it plans to release a new Xbox SmartGlass app for people who get the upcoming Xbox One console. This week, Microsoft revealed some more information on how specific games will be able to access the app to add more features to their titles.

In a post on the Xbox Wire blog, Microsoft showed how Capcom's open world zombie action game Dead Rising 3 will use the Xbox SmartGlass app to act as a smartphone in the game itself. The player will receive calls and text messages from characters in the game that will take them on special missions that will be exclusive to SmartGlass users. It also offers a mission tracker, a news ticker, a real time map, and ways for the device to call in drone gun support or even air strikes against the zombie horde.

Microsoft's own game creation tool Project Spark will use Xbox SmartGlass as a direct mirror to the Xbox One version. The blog states:

It delivers the full power and visual fidelity of Xbox One with the additional benefit of the Windows 8 touch interface and a virtual keyboard on the device connected via SmartGlass. This means that you can play, create, and share on SmartGlass devices.

The Xbox One version of Ubisoft's dancing game Just Dance 2014 will use the Xbox SmartGlass app to set up playlists for the game, along with the new PartyMaster mode. This will give one player a way to choose the next dance move in the game or even to switch the songs that are being played.

Source: Microsoft | Image via Capcom

#2 +TCLN Ryster

TCLN Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

Posted 06 October 2013 - 21:21

That's pretty cool... DR3 is one of the games I'll be getting at launch... having my phone act as a phone in the game is actually quite exciting, I'm looking forward to it :)

#3 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:59

I can't wait for developers to use smartglass more and more, with the extra abilities of the XB1 compared to the 360 I see lots of possibilities for it's future use.

#4 FriendlyBully

FriendlyBully

Neowinian

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:49

Oh god, is that a mission timer on the screen? I guess a lot of survivors are going to die.

#5 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:32

There's a lot of cool things that can be done with smartglass. using your cell phone as an in game cell phone... not one of them. Same problem as using the gamepad as the motion tracker in colonial marines on the Wii. breaks you out of the screen. and while you'd think using your phone as a phone, would add immersion, it only breaks immersion by taking you out of the game. Maybe if the game used your screen as a monitor in a game but that would be a completely different type of game. 

#6 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:36

Oh god, is that a mission timer on the screen? I guess a lot of survivors are going to die.

DR always operated on a timer. that is the whole game had a max time before you had to evacuate. 

#7 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 09 October 2013 - 06:47

Very nice, would of like something like this for GTAV, say something like having the MAP showing on my iPad and my current location! 

#8 FriendlyBully

FriendlyBully

Neowinian

Posted 09 October 2013 - 15:26

DR always operated on a timer. that is the whole game had a max time before you had to evacuate. 

If you still want it, you need to choose "nightmare" mode...

http://www.escapistm...ainst-The-Clock

#9 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 February 2014 - 22:45

Don't be a smart glass :D