Question

Posted

Never heard of this brand, but it is 73% off. New, retail.  ZyXEL NSA320

http://1sale.com/electronics/other/nsa320/

14 hours left, so should I, or not? If this brand is crap, I'd rather get a Synology, or HP ProLiant.

20 answers to this question

Posted

ZyXEL are well-known in networking, but I've never used or read about their NAS devices. However, that's standard retail price, and not a sale price.

Posted

Like Jub Fequois said, that's standard retail price. ZyXEL is quite good imho, you can't go wrong with that NAS for that money.

Posted

Hello,

ZyXEL are well-known in networking, but I've never used or read about their NAS devices. However, that's standard retail price, and not a sale price.

Newegg has it at $120

We have a ZyXEL router which is very "deep" to configure. I mean that you gotta look thru options and screen to actually get it to do what you want. Once its done, it is a breeze but first time around it was something else....

That was a router; I have no idea about their NAS.

Posted

Newegg has it at $120

Ah, sorry. Might be regional differences then. In the UK it's the same price as the price listed on that website.

Posted

Wow..that is cheap, they are a known brand, just a cheap known brand, so this will not be the quality of something like a Synology and probably missing a lot of the functionality, but if you just want to store and serve files I doubt you could go wrong...If I didn't already have my HP microserver I'd probably be getting one.

Posted

ZyXel is great at networking stuff... TOP stuff. Never heard of this NAS though but that's freaking cheap no matter how you slice it. I'd get one if I didn't already buy a HP Proliant N40L just 2 days ago (for much more I might add!)

Posted

Huh, never heard of them...

Yeah, just for storage. I have 2 x 320GB HDDs sitting around, might as well put them to use. Have them in my case atm, but can't connect them, as my 6 x SATA ports are full.

I already have a D-Link DS-320, 2 x 620GB HDDs in RAID1. But its only a 2-bay, nothing I can really add to it.

Another backup source. :)

Posted

Oh, I bought this a few hours ago. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. Busy busy. ;)

Posted

Hmmm. after reading reviews for this on Amazon, seem a lot of the arrive DOA.

http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-NSA320-Network-Attached-Storage/product-reviews/B004UBU3SY/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Seemed like a good deal but I don't want to pay for return shipping for an item that's known to be DOA.

Posted

I had NSA 310, it was OK.

Posted

Hmmm. after reading reviews for this on Amazon, seem a lot of the arrive DOA.

http://www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-NSA320-Network-Attached-Storage/product-reviews/B004UBU3SY/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

Seemed like a good deal but I don't want to pay for return shipping for an item that's known to be DOA.

75% the people that review on Amazon are idiots.

Posted

Hello,

Ah, sorry. Might be regional differences then. In the UK it's the same price as the price listed on that website.

No worries :) I stated the Newegg price but I found it here for 85

Posted

Thats pretty harsh and mean.

Newegg's reviews arent all that great either: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822336015

I'm not trying to be mean, but it is the reality. That is why I tell everyone, to check professionally made reviews. Away from these sites, where people make stupid reviews. I've even seen reviews that are not for that product...

Posted

Synology gets lots of love in the NAS world

1 person likes this

Posted

Yeah, I know that, kitty. But there's rarely any good deals on Synology devices but a few dollars here and there.

Posted

Yeah, I know that, kitty. But there's rarely any good deals on Synology devices but a few dollars here and there.

$199 for a 213j Synology, just spend the money and stop dealing with crappy products.

Posted

N40L just 2 days ago (for much more I might add!)

Your N40L is much more than just a simple nas -- look at the feature set of that, without even taking into account the ability to run whatever OS you want on your N40L, but it native to the hardware or running a hypervisor on it, etc.

1 person likes this

Posted

$199 for a 213j Synology, just spend the money and stop dealing with crappy products.

According to Newegg, that model is selling it for $299. And if you want me to buy that, give me the money difference, and I might consider it.

Crappy products? Whoa, you must hate them, against what everyone here is saying. Or don't know anything about them and Synology raises supreme.

Posted

I think he meant a 212J - $189. Synology products are excellent. I love my Synology DS213. I definitely see a 4 bay Synology NAS in my future