21 posts in this topic

Posted

Meet Atlas, a humanoid cyborg capable of crossing rough terrain and maintaining its balance on one leg even when hit from the side.

And WildCat, the four-legged robot that can gallop untethered at up to 16mph (26km/h).

These are the latest creations of Boston Dynamics, a US robotics company part-funded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (Darpa).

The robots are part of Darpa's Maximum Mobility and Manipulation programme.

Darpa says such robots "hold great promise for amplifying human effectiveness in defence operations".

Referring to Atlas's ability to remain balanced despite being hit by a lateral weight, Noel Sharkey, professor of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics at the University of Sheffield, told the BBC: "This is an astonishing achievement... quite a remarkable feat."

This version of Atlas is one of seven humanoid robots Boston Dynamics is developing in response to the Darpa Robotics Challenge.

In December, competing robots will be set eight tasks to test their potential for use in emergency-response situations, including crossing uneven ground, using power tools and driving a rescue vehicle.

Darpa wants to improve the manoeuvrability and controllability of such robots while reducing manufacturing costs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkBnFPBV3f0

1 person likes this

Posted

is that powered by a flux capacitor? this things runs at 1.7 gigawatts?!!???

/s

Posted

boston dynamics, DARPA... may as well be massive dynamic and DHARMA...

4 people like this

Posted

Looks like an early prototype of a Terminator to me. :p

2 people like this

Posted

Reminds me of the robot from Saturn 3...

Saturn+3+1.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Bet I could knock it over.

Then it would hunt down my parents in the 1970s

4 people like this

Posted

Looks like an early prototype of a Terminator to me. :p

Swartzenegger will be proud.

Posted

Anyone else actually freaked out about that thing lol. It's... too lifelike... 

1 person likes this

Posted

Saw a vid of WildCat the other day and while a cool piece of tech, it'll turn real nasty the day it becomes sentient :p

Posted

Saw a vid of WildCat the other day and while a cool piece of tech, it'll turn real nasty the day it becomes sentient :p

See this one:

Posted

Its not a Cyborg as there are no organic parts to him.     O_O No guns! Thank god .... 

Posted

Its not a Cyborg as there are no organic parts to him.     O_O No guns! Thank god .... 

According to Terminator 2, Cybernetic Organism, living tissue over a Metal Endoskeleton, looks like phase one is complete, now where did I put the Red LED eyes and the 40 Watt Phase Plasma Rifle.....

Posted

According to Terminator 2, Cybernetic Organism, living tissue over a Metal Endoskeleton, looks like phase one is complete, now where did I put the Red LED eyes and the 40 Watt Phase Plasma Rifle.....

And the accent, and the nural net, and a battery that goes nuclear when damaged lol   A cyborg can be anything, as long as it ontains both machine and organic parts.

People's with Pacemakers are technically "Cyborgs".

1 person likes this

Posted

Actually a cyborg is defined by a person who relies upon inorganic technology to function.  As such, if someone wears glasses they are a cyborg.

Posted

I have focussing eye lens implants and a computer controlled prosthetic leg (even has a bluetooth remote), so ditto here.

Posted

Actually a cyborg is defined by a person who relies upon inorganic technology to function.  As such, if someone wears glasses they are a cyborg.

Usually the capability provided by the inorganic part must be enhanced to be considered a cyborg.

Posted

Usually the capability provided by the inorganic part must be enhanced to be considered a cyborg.

I have a metal bar holding my leg together and a plastic patella. Without those I wouldn't be able to walk, so I consider it enhancing! I'm a cyborg! Fear me! :p

Posted

anything the pentagon does is to weaponize it. You can bet your final dollar they will put weapons on these things.

Posted

This and whatever is the end result of the Cheetah/WildCat program, a high speed cross-country quadrapod.

Posted

And if this said robot refuses to be knocked over ....I ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE! :D I shall knock it over ...  

Posted

Just hand it the bill for its construction, it'll probably never get up after that!