Fox News debuts bizarre, giant tablets in its outrageous new newsroom

News Media is a joke, and here is another example. 

Whoever will be using this, I feel bad for their eyes. Soon half of them will be wearing same size as tablets subscription glasses.

What I don't get is the fact that by using these laughably larger screens, they are not getting any additional real estate because the UI is scaled up. I mean really what is the point of this, except for a quick way to get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

• Like 2

What I don't get is the fact that by using these laughably larger screens, they are not getting any additional real estate because the UI is scaled up. I mean really what is the point of this, except for a quick way to get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

Well we don't know the resolution of the monitors and what software they are using or have developed. Those two factors are the largest questions as to whether this is even efficient.

That does look very awkward to be productive on, but with the right software, it could be awesome. Probably little to no increase in productivity compared to just updating the software without using massive touch screens, but as others said, I suspect MS paid a decent chunk of change, or donated the systems or something similar for a little bit of air time right as 8.1 releases.

Well we don't know the resolution of the monitors and what software they are using or have developed. Those two factors are the largest questions as to whether this is even efficient.

Have you viewed the video? The UI is at a insane up-scaled resolution. I mean just look at the guy on the right:

original.gif

Almost feel bad for the people working on these, imagine how exhausted they will be after a full day of work on these.

Have you viewed the video? The UI is at a insane up-scaled resolution. I mean just look at the guy on the right:

original.gif

Hah, that is funny. He's got a tweet the size of his whole body. Yeah, I would find it hard to believe that they've done something amazing here. Its also hard for me to believe that they would go through all of this if it's really going to suck for those journalists as it seems to.

It took an entire range of motion to scroll down ONE TWEET. The more I look at it the more hilarious it gets.

• Like 2

original.gif

That's one of my bigger issues with Windows 8. Everything in the Modern UI is so large and wastes so much space. It doesn't have to depending on who writes the software, but the whole UI is just BIG. What's the point in these increasing resolution displays if we just scale up the amount of information that would have originally fit in 800x600. It feels too much like a 10 foot interface.

• Like 1

That's one of my bigger issues with Windows 8. Everything in the Modern UI is so large and wastes so much space. It doesn't have to depending on who writes the software, but the whole UI is just BIG. What's the point in these increasing resolution displays if we just scale up the amount of information that would have originally fit in 800x600. It feels too much like a 10 foot interface.

probably because the resolution of those screens is barely HD if at all.

Man, I didn't think this would be so hated, so quickly.

I mean this is a tech forum and even here there is not that much interest in stuff like this.  I think its a cool concept, even if the touchscreens don't look the best with those thick bezels. 

I hope it does well and leads to improvements down the road.  I'm sure they will be modifying and tweaking for quite some time since this is a real shift in usage model.

I agree it looks weird at first glance, but I also think its just plain neat.  The tech geek in me would love to be sitting there working on those screen completely with touch.

Have to agree there.

I laughed so hard when I saw this.... wait.... this isn't a joke?! It's serious? Really?

If your OS is made so that you need a 55 inch screen.... then it's made poorly.