Posted 07 October 2013 - 17:11

The more you read of the lavabit story the more sickening it becomes:

http://www.theverge....erican-software

#2 2xSilverKnight

2xSilverKnight

Neowinian Master

• 2,097 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 18:04

I would strip the salary of all those ######ers. And put the whole government on minimum wage.

#3 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 18:04

"Verbally, FBI agents actually told me they were going to collect content and passwords," Levison says. "And I had a big problem with that."

So do I. That is wrong, morally if not legally. The American government is going way overboard with all of this. 

Now that the court records have been unsealed, Levison is finally able to explain why the service had to be shut down. Having unfettered access to Lavabit’s SSL certificate was just too much. "They're kidnapping your reputation and using it for their own purposes," Levison says. As long as the service was still active, those keys would allow the FBI to scan everyone's email for keywords or use the certificates for Flame-style malware delivery. 

Just wow. This is evil.

#4 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,617 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 18:07

Wow. I had no idea they were in all of this. I used them way way back when I had a @nerdshack.com address.

#5 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,085 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:14

Wow. I had no idea they were in all of this. I used them way way back when I had a @nerdshack.com address.

You clearly haven't been reading the various articles about this. Lavabit were NOT in all this. They tried to fight it, and when threatened with jail time, THEN gave up the keys and shut down the service.

#6 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,617 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 13:47

You clearly haven't been reading the various articles about this. Lavabit were NOT in all this. They tried to fight it, and when threatened with jail time, THEN gave up the keys and shut down the service.

Well I read this article and found all that out... What I said was very vague. "All of this" simply meaning they are in a mess.

#7 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,925 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 08 October 2013 - 13:54

This is so ######ed up.. We have NO freedom anymore. 

#8 Kreuger

Kreuger

Neowin's Local Grouch

• 5,875 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 14:00

This is just insane. All for the benefit of national security? Reminds me of Hot Fuzz. "The greater good."

#9 ramesees

ramesees

Neowinian Senior

• 2,567 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 14:02

This is so ****ed up.. We have NO freedom anymore. 

Not to be facetious but we've not had "freedom" for a very long time.

#10 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,925 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 08 October 2013 - 14:05

You're right. We haven't.. It is ######ing sad. 

#11 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,224 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 14:13

we haven't had freedom, since... well... never, there is always someone trying to control everyone else

#12 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,227 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 08 October 2013 - 14:13

its stuff like this that makes me upset to live in the USA where the Government just bullies people until they give in. I am sure the USA is not the only country that does this but its just horrible. too bad we just dont use quantum cryptography yet. 

#13 ramesees

ramesees

Neowinian Senior

• 2,567 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 14:19

we haven't had freedom, since... well... never, there is always someone trying to control everyone else

Whilst this was true, there was the possibility in the past (and still today in a more limited capacity) to disappear off the grid never to be bothered by those who sought to control you. Today we have cameras everywhere, the recording of everything we do from driving, buying fuel / groceries, our banking transactions, and the information gleaned is shared with lightning speed.

#14 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• 17,224 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 14:20

its stuff like this that makes me upset to live in the USA where the Government just bullies people until they give in. I am sure the USA is not the only country that does this but its just horrible. too bad we just dont use quantum cryptography yet. 

I'm sure all the large power countries (USA, UK, Russia, Spain, France, Germany, etc) are doing similar things

#15 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 16,085 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 14:21

too bad we just dont use quantum cryptography yet. 

Sticking "Quantum" in front of something doesn't automatically make it super special magic, y'know. :p

Also, it wouldn't make any difference HOW good the encryption is if organisations like the NSA can just demand the decryption keys and get them.  You might as well just not bother to encrypt at all, then.