Ebay Sales Tax in CT?

I just bought something from EBay that's in California and I am in CT, and I was charged a sales tax of $3.00. Does anyone know about this sales tax law for CT? I searched and couldn't find anything. I additionally called eBay and they didn't give me a clear answer. I have read that a sales tax law was passed in CT apparently, but I am very confused. I have also sold several things on Ebay, I hope I don't get in trouble for not collecting sales tax.

This article mentions Amazon but not eBay.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57567580-93/amazon-to-begin-collecting-sales-tax-in-connecticut-this-year/

Here's the law itself

http://www.ilsr.org/rule/internet-sales-tax-fairness/3133-2/

Shouldn't be the case but I think CA started collecting "internet sales" tax so people in CA have to charge tax for all their sales.

I just bought something from eBay too and no sales tax for me in CT. My item was shipped from AZ however so maybe that's why.

• 1 month later...

Most likely the seller is ripping you off, this is very common in Canada on ebay where sellers charge Federal Sales Tax (GST) and Provincial taxes when they don't even have a Federal or Provincial tax number or if they do it's either a bogus number or from another dealer.

Granted there are legitimate sellers who are required to charge sales taxes.

But i've run into a lot where these are just personal sellers and they charge sales tax on top of the price.

I will not purchase any item on ebay from any seller that charges sales tax.

Here in the Nutmeg state, only companies with physical locations need to charge tax.

Amazon just started charging on the 1st because they are going to build a warehouse here and wanted tax breaks. You should not be getting charged by ebay, but keep in mind you are actually doing business with a private seller and if they state tax in their auction, they can charge it.