Do you think I can get $600-$650 for my launch edition PS4?

I'm amazed by all the people criticising the OP for wanting to resell a console.  At the end of the day its capitalism and there's no difference between the OP and any other retailer who buys goods from a wholesaler and sells them on at an inflated price.  If someone's willing to pay the price the OP charges (or place the highest bid on ebay) then I fail to see any problem.

If you don't need the money, and don't really want a PS4 at launch, why don't you cancel your order so somebody who genuinely wants one will get one on launch day?

I'd rather keep the pre-order before canceling a pre-order.  I honestly feel that the PS4 will be in very very HIGH DEMAND for a long time.  If I can't sell it, I would rather keep it than to let it go.  I would definitely put it to use (there are just on games in the first 90days or so in the PS4's launch that I am going nuts to play at this moment).  If remote play w/Vita works as advertised, Sony would actually end up getting more money out of me as I would go buy a Vita and live in all Geek'dom

What makes the day ones different Anything ?

Only thing I can think of is supply.  I just believe in my gut that the PS4's demand will be high.

It's morally ****ty but are you going to care about what people think about you, or make some money out of those silly/impatient enough to part with their money?

I wouldn't do it, but then I'm not you and I also want a PS4 to play :p Like everyone else I always want to make as much money as I can out of anything I sell, but launch scalping does have a darker intention behind it versus simply selling something I don't want any more.

I'm amazed by all the people criticising the OP for wanting to resell a console.  At the end of the day its capitalism and there's no difference between the OP and any other retailer who buys goods from a wholesaler and sells them on at an inflated price.  If someone's willing to pay the price the OP charges (or place the highest bid on ebay) then I fail to see any problem.

Because he is taking the over inflated retailer price and inflating it more? If you see no issues with it then, why would it be a problem for any one retailer to take the same view point and decide to increase their prices?

I think I and a lot of others have said it - its a split opinion and neither one is correct really. Call it political correctness or whatever but I just personally feel that pre-ordering something, so you can sell it on to someone for a profit is a bit slimy. You are taking away an opportunity from someone who won't pay more for an ebay console, potentially causing warranty issues if that product is faulty for your own "selfish" reasons.

I'd also like to highlight I'm not calling anyone including the OP who does see this as OK as selfish but I can't think of a better word to use as it is completely self motivated for your own gain.

I'm sorry if this has already been answered, but I don't really understand why you would pre-order something, want to sell it, with the knowledge that in 6 months time you are going to want to buy it again? It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

That much for a new console? And people are willing to buy it at 200% more? wtf i'm i missing here?

Not sure.. Can still pre-order at every major Australian chain. I plan on just walking in and picking up mine off the floor. Any Americans want me to send some back?  :laugh:

What anyone thinks of me for doing this, doesn't really matter or have an effect on my life.

I refuse to just 'cancel' my pre-order for my PS4.  If I manage to sell it, well good... If I don't manage to sell it, well that's cool too.

Selling or keeping the PS4 doesn't make or break me.  No matter if I have the money to buy something, if someone else will be willing to basically pay for 1/2 of a shiny new console for me why not take that opportunity.

If, I don't manage to get a dime for it, I will put it to use.  Even if that means downloading Knack or War Frame (not must have's but I'll play them), I'm good with it.

I equate my decision like this.  I basically stood in line for 5months waiting for my console.  I'm not simply going to step out of the line and say here you can take my spot for nothing.  I either keep my spot in line and keep the product, or someone else is going to pay for my spot in line.  

You know what's worse than scalpers?... People that enable them. Stop buying heavily marked up, day one re-sales because you don't have the patience (or the rationale) to wait. It doesn't help you, and it sends the wrong message to practically everyone that matters.

I've said this before but I'll reiterate; purchasing a new Console on day one is a terrible idea.. It's literally the most useless it will ever be whilst being the most expensive it will ever be.... at the exact same time! I cannot for the life of me understand this mentality. And then you get this crap.....

As far as I'm concerned if Showan is doing the wrong (well, slightly immoral) thing, but if someone actually buys it, they're far worse in my eyes.

Edit (addition): Also, I'm not even sure the OP realises that in the long term he'll likely lose money by doing it this way. If you can wait to buy it, buy it later when the PS4 (and more importantly it's games) are cheaper. I bet you the cost of savings you'll get is of a higher value than the return you expect on reselling this pre-order. This wouldn't matter if you really wanted a PS4, but you seem quite apathetic to the whole thing.

Food for thought.

You know what's worse than scalpers?... People that enable them. Stop buying heavily marked up, day one re-sales because you don't have the patience (or the rationale) to wait. It doesn't help you, and it sends the wrong message to practically everyone that matters.

I've said this before but I'll reiterate; purchasing a new Console on day one is a terrible idea.. It's literally the most useless it will ever be whilst being the most expensive it will ever be.... at the exact same time! I cannot for the life of me understand this mentality. And then you get this crap.....

As far as I'm concerned if Showan is doing the wrong (well, slightly immoral) thing, but if someone actually buys it, they're far worse in my eyes.

Edit (addition): Also, I'm not even sure the OP realises that in the long term he'll likely lose money by doing it this way. If you can wait to buy it, buy it later when the PS4 (and more importantly it's games) are cheaper. I bet you the cost of savings you'll get is of a higher value than the return you expect on reselling this pre-order. This wouldn't matter if you really wanted a PS4, but you seem quite apathetic to the whole thing.

Food for thought.

Once again.. It's a video game console... Not a cure for AIDS (in which I would just give away).  I was iffy on the PS4... Then I saw infamous 2nd Son... Then I see that infamous 2nd son isn't coming on release day.  But like I said, I waited 5months like the next person.  And people have the same access that I have (at least those at launch territories) to get a PS4.  I would rather keep the PS4 than to say "here you can have my place in line" 

If anyone truly wanted a PS4, they would have been trying to save and save since February 2013.  Once Sony did their reveal special people should have been on the move then.  I just happened to save for next gen over the span of a few years.  I didn't realize NOW GEN would last this long. 

I'm not doing this to make a quick buck.  I'm doing it because it's the smart thing to do.  I'm going to have a PS4 (and yes I've always been a early adopter) and 2nd Son will be a must have for me.

Me just giving up my spot in line for nothing... is not happening...

Once again.. It's a video game console... Not a cure for AIDS (in which I would just give away).  I was iffy on the PS4... Then I saw infamous 2nd Son... Then I see that infamous 2nd son isn't coming on release day.  But like I said, I waited 5months like the next person.  And people have the same access that I have (at least those at launch territories) to get a PS4.  I would rather keep the PS4 than to say "here you can have my place in line" 

If anyone truly wanted a PS4, they would have been trying to save and save since February 2013.  Once Sony did their reveal special people should have been on the move then.  I just happened to save for next gen over the span of a few years.  I didn't realize NOW GEN would last this long. 

I'm not doing this to make a quick buck.  I'm doing it because it's the smart thing to do.  I'm going to have a PS4 (and yes I've always been a early adopter) and 2nd Son will be a must have for me.

Me just giving up my spot in line for nothing... is not happening...

Did you even understand what I said?

Food for thought.

If he can sell it for twice it's current cost, i.e. makign money(which he will anyway) how on earth do you calculate that he's "losing" money ....

If he can sell it for twice it's current cost, i.e. makign money(which he will anyway) how on earth do you calculate that he's "losing" money ....

Buy it for 400 sell it for 600 make 200 + no PS4 (or one later)

or wait a while....

Buy it for 300 instead of 400 save 100 + PS4 (but not earlier) + cheaper (and more) games.

Since he's going on the risk someone will buy it, he may have to keep it at the 400 price and that will cost more than if he waited. Simple risk assessment I suppose and it's based on the motives of OP. Personally, I don't see enough gains to justify the initial investment.

Also, selling things is annoying and time consuming, let's not forget that. Ghosts bids to keep your PS4 off the market so they can sell theirs and yadda yadda. Depending on how you go about doing this... big headache's may be in the future.

Buy it for 400 sell it for 600 make 200 + no PS4 (or one later)

or wait a while....

Buy it for 300 instead of 400 save 100 + PS4 (but not earlier) + cheaper (and more) games.

Since he's going on the risk someone will buy it, he may have to keep it at the 400 price and that will cost more than if he waited. Simple risk assessment I suppose and it's based on the motives of OP. Personally, I don't see enough gains to justify the initial investment.

Also, selling things is annoying and time consuming, let's not forget that. Ghosts bids to keep your PS4 off the market so they can sell theirs and yadda yadda. Depending on how you go about doing this... big headache's may be in the future.

Your math still don't make sense. 

buy it later for 300 he's out 300.

buy it now for 400, sell for 600, he now has 600(200 more than he had). buy it later for 300. and he's got 300 extra for games.

How does he lose money buy buying now and selling, you're NOT making sense. and he could probably sell it for 800. leaving him with even more money(probably even more)

Your math still don't make sense. 

buy it later for 300 he's out 300.

buy it now for 400, sell for 600, he now has 600(200 more than he had). buy it later for 300. and he's got 300 extra for games.

How does he lose money buy buying now and selling, you're NOT making sense. and he could probably sell it for 800. leaving him with even more money(probably even more)

It made sense in my head, now I'm doubting myself. Ignore my edit for now until I remember what I was on about.

Don't give the OP a hard time because you think he owes it to anyone not to buy a PS4 so some other "true" gamer can get one. He isn't hoarding cancer drugs or diabetes medication and then selling it at an exorbitant price. A game console is a luxury, not a ######in' necessity.

If you can sell it for a profit, I say good luck to you.

Don't give the OP a hard time because you think he owes it to anyone not to buy a PS4 so some other "true" gamer can get one. He isn't hoarding cancer drugs or diabetes medication and then selling it at an exorbitant price. A game console is a luxury, not a ****in' necessity.

If you can sell it for a profit, I say good luck to you.

I agree, mostly.

Because he is taking the over inflated retailer price and inflating it more? If you see no issues with it then, why would it be a problem for any one retailer to take the same view point and decide to increase their prices?

Most products will be bought and sold multiple times before they reach the customer though so I fail to see how Showan adding one more transaction to the mix makes any difference.  He's not forcing anyone to buy his console just offering it for sale to the highest bidder and taking advantage of a short term increase in demand.  Retailers do routinely increase their prices and often for more important things than games consoles. 

I get where you're coming from but unless you're going to ban the free market there's not really any point complaining about the situation.

Most products will be bought and sold multiple times before they reach the customer though so I fail to see how Showan adding one more transaction to the mix makes any difference.  He's not forcing anyone to buy his console just offering it for sale to the highest bidder and taking advantage of a short term increase in demand.  Retailers do routinely increase their prices and often for more important things than games consoles. 

I get where you're coming from but unless you're going to ban the free market there's not really any point complaining about the situation.

I think what you are talking about is slightly different though, buying a product, using it and selling it on Craig's List or Ebay etc is completely different to buying an item with the sole purpose to make money. It's a little like ticket touting imo which is viewed as very very bad and in some scenario's I believe can be illegal. I believe at least in the UK there are people looking into how they can try and protect consumers from these sorts of dodgy deals and write laws around ticket touting - I don't see this as being all that different.

I think it's a little unfair to say if they are willing to pay then its not the sellers problem, if your car needed a service or a part - and all the local garages decided to "fix prices" and charge an extra 50% on that job does that make it ok? you need the job doing so you are willing to pay it, that doesn't make the price hike OK. I know this is really not comparable but I'm struggling to think of a scenario that is really alike. If you ask me, saying its their fault if they choose to pay is just offloading the blame because that's the easiest way to do it. YOU choose to take advantage of someones desires for your own gain, you can't abstain yourself from that.