Photo

Nuclear fusion milestone passed at US lab

nuclear fusion us lab milestone passed sustainable energy radiation self-sustaining

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• 5,452 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 00:38

Nuclear fusion milestone passed at US lab

_70337756_70337750.jpg

The achievement is the first of its kind anywhere in the world

Researchers at a US lab have passed a crucial milestone on the way to their ultimate goal of achieving self-sustaining nuclear fusion.

Harnessing fusion - the process that powers the Sun - could provide an unlimited and cheap source of energy.

But to be viable, fusion power plants would have to produce more energy than they consume, which has proven elusive.

Now, a breakthrough by scientists at the National Ignition Facility (NIF) could boost hopes of scaling up fusion.

NIF, based at Livermore in California, uses 192 beams from the world's most powerful laser to heat and compress a small pellet of hydrogen fuel to the point where nuclear fusion reactions take place.

The BBC understands that during an experiment in late September, the amount of energy released through the fusion reaction exceeded the amount of energy being absorbed by the fuel - the first time this had been achieved at any fusion facility in the world.

This is a step short of the lab's stated goal of "ignition", where nuclear fusion generates as much energy as the lasers supply. This is because known "inefficiencies" in different parts of the system mean not all the energy supplied through the laser is delivered to the fuel.

But the latest achievement has been described as the single most meaningful step for fusion in recent years, and demonstrates NIF is well on its way towards the coveted target of ignition and self-sustaining fusion.

Source and more

#2 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:09

The BBC understands that during an experiment in late September, the amount of energy released through the fusion reaction exceeded the amount of energy being absorbed by the fuel - the first time this had been achieved at any fusion facility in the world.

A baby step but a step forward none the less.

#3 wrack

wrack

Wireless Robotic Android Calibrated for Killing

• 2,572 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:33

Only if we were to redirect the lot of money we spend of space travel and exploration towards the Fusion R&D, we could have been much closer.

On the other hand space travel and exploration does bring a whole lot of invention forward too. Catch 22.

#4 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• 12,673 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:54

Excellent news, keep it up! (Y)

#5 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,351 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:09

Only if we were to redirect the lot of money we spend of space travel and exploration towards the Fusion R&D, we could have been much closer.

That wouldn't make any sense. A better approach would be to reduce military spending.

#6 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,462 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:13

That wouldn't make any sense. A better approach would be to reduce military spending.

Once we have nuclear fusion, the military will get to increase spending on nuclear fusion weapons!

#7 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,264 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:14

Won't get too far once the usual anti nuke idiots get involved 

#8 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• 4,264 posts
  • Phone: Android

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:17

Said like a typical misinformed Leftist, you have NO CLUE how much money both the British and American Defense industries have funneled towards what have become great advances in technology for the masses, including feeding and employing more civilians in useful jobs than any other government organization

#9 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,719 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:39

Said like a typical misinformed Leftist, you have NO CLUE how much money both the British and American Defense industries have funneled towards what have become great advances in technology for the masses, including feeding and employing more civilians in useful jobs than any other government organization

Studies show that the causation of technological advancement correlate directly (or indirectly) with war (or at least, for those whom win said wars). Like it or not, we owe pretty much all the nice gadgets we have to either preparing for or participating in wars (big and small).

Edit: To clarify, I'm defending your position, in case that was unambiguous.

#10 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 9,462 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:42

Studies show that the causation of technological advancement correlate directly (or indirectly) with war (or at least, for those whom win said wars). Like it or not, we owe pretty much all the nice gadgets we have to either preparing for or participating in wars (big and small).

Well on Civilization 5, I know that I need to research Nuclear Fusion to build Giant Death Robot, so you are probably right.

#11 +Xinok

Xinok

Resident Reresident

• 3,495 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S3 (Wicked)

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:45

The Nokia Lumia 1020 is a smartphone with a 41MP camera. Somehow, I doubt that war was the driving force for this technological advancement. Instead, how I see it, demand drives technological advancement and war creates demand... lots of demand...

#12 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,719 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:48

The Nokia Lumia 1020 is a smartphone with a 41MP camera. Somehow, I doubt that war was the driving force for this technological advancement. Instead, how I see it, demand drives technological advancement and war creates demand... lots of demand...

Thus the word, 'indirectly'.

Addition: Although in the case of image and mobile communication technologies I could argue that 'directly' still is the appropriate term.

#13 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,134 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:48

On the other hand space travel and exploration does bring a whole lot of invention forward too. Catch 22.

The money we spend on NASA and other related areas are pennies to what we spend on many many other things. Throwing money at something doesn't automatically make it easier to obtain. 

#14 mudslag

mudslag

I live in your head

• 8,134 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 02:50

Or not, again throwing money at this problem doesn't automatically make it that much easier to solve. 

#15 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,383 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:15

Once we have nuclear fusion, the military will get to increase spending on nuclear fusion weapons!

The US has had fusion weapons for decades, they're pretty different to this kind of fusion though.