Google Hangouts update teased in leaked screenshots

Google Hangouts update teased in leaked screenshots, SMS integration incoming

googlehangouts31.jpg

Wondering what new features we'll see once Google official unveils the Nexus 5? Android Police has a hint: an overhauled, more comprehensive Hangouts app. A pair of leaked screenshots seem to deliver on a promise Google made back in May, and show evidence of an SMS integrated hangout app. An image of the app's conversation window shows that messages will be branded by their delivery method, including a "via SMS" tag next to the text's time stamp. It hints at a more unified communication platform for Android, but the settings page helpfully illustrates that using Hangouts for SMS is optional -- a check mark allows the feature to be cleanly disabled for those who prefer to keep their conversations segregated. Although these shots line up with previous rumors, Android Police can't say when the update might be available or if it will actually coincide with the release of KitKat or the Nexus 5. Either way, we're looking forward to finding out.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/08/google-hangouts-screens-sms/

Wonder if they plan to make Hangouts the default messaging app and eventually ditch the current (SMS) Messaging app? it would make sense since Apple did the same thing with iMessage. I mean right now it'll be like Facebook Messenger and have the option to be your SMS client as well, but eventually they'll make it mandatory and ditch the default app maybe in Android 5.0 or later. That is my guess so take with a grain of salt. 

Wonder if they plan to make Hangouts the default messaging app and eventually ditch the current (SMS) Messaging app?

And eventually also Google Voice, I'd guess.

Both of those are quite US centric though (Voice because of availability and SMS because of entrenchment thanks to carriers' flat SMS plans) so I'm far more interested in the also rumored video sharing.