Sony's PS4 Team Makes Disabled Fan's Day

A gamer expressed happiness at Sony's support for the disabled playerbase in a posting on Facebook today. According to the gamer, who goes by RandomHypnotica on Reddit, the gamer and his or her three friends were in wheelchairs when they went to the EBGames Expo which took place over the weekend in Australia. 

Itching to test out the new hardware and get their hands on the new PlayStation 4, the gamers made their way over to the Sony booth, where they were then informed that due to an oversight on Sony's part, the PS4 units were all upstairs, without wheelchair access. 

To counter their dismay, the Sony representative said something along the lines of "We are extremely sorry, it should have never happened but because it is totally our fault, and we always support our disabled player base, we would like to offer something along with our sincerest apology" and handed all four gamers a voucher and a promise for free PlayStation 4 units on release day.

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/17876/article/sony-s-ps4-team-makes-disabled-fan-s-day/

Disabled gamers FB

Had an amazing day at the EBGames Expo yesterday and here's my little story and massive thanks to Sony and EBGames for hosting the event! (For the purpose of the story I will let you know I am in a wheelchair)

We were going around the Expo as you do, looking at all the different booths and games when we ended up at the Sony Australia section. Itching to test out the new next gen consoles we went inside and a worker there asked if we needed any help with anything, I answered "Yes, I'd like to know where to go to test the PlayStation 4" the worker replied "Oh there's an issue with that but please wait, I will get someone to explain to you and I think you'll be very pleased with our solution".

Wondering what was going on we waited, and after a few minutes along came a Representative of Sony Australia and explained "First of all, I'd like to say that Sony deeply apologises as we have made a massive oversight in regards to supporting our disabled player base and we have placed all the PlayStation 4's upstairs and with no way to get you up there. Again we are extremely sorry, it really should never have happened but because it is totally our fault and we always support our disabled player base, we would like to offer something in return along with our sincerest apology. Please could you leave you name and contact details with us and we will give you a PlayStation 4 on release day." I was shocked and said "The whole console, on release day and for free??!?!". He said "Yes, absolutely, it's the least we can do for what we have done here."

So for myself, and my 3 friends also in wheelchairs. We all are getting free PlayStation 4's!!

The XBox area had the exact same setup and all we were told is "Sorry, it's upstairs, you can't try it" and were sent off. Typical!

Thank you so much Sony! You are so amazing! And thank you EBGames for a great expo

Wow, almost brought a tear to my eye,

Faith in humanity and all that :)

And no, this is not a sarcastic post, I am being sincere

Oh you "sincere" dog you.... sure....  :D

• Like 1

Just out of interest, how did they get all the equipment upstairs without a lift? I mean, we're talking about large HDTVs, stands, fixtures, etc. That's not easy stuff to carry up stairs.

Hello,

Good job on Sony's part. The thing is Sony seems to have prepared to give away free PS4s at the event. Microsoft was not giving away free Xbox Ones so they didnt have the ability to give him this....

That being said, isnt this a potential lawsuit for Sony, Microsoft and/or whoever organized the expo? I though access for disabled people was mandatory....

I doubt that it is a PR stunt because there is always a huge risk of massive negative press that they didn't cater for the disabled even if they do give out a few free consoles.

Sounds like someone had a genuine "Oh Sh*t" moment when they realised what had happened. 

Glad to hear they got a free console, that's above and beyond.

Nice, good to see Sony had obviously detected their mistake at a point it was far too late to fix but came up with a plan to make up for it. Quite a big gesture as well, I mean I would have probably been happy with a pair of sony headphones etc, something a lot smaller than that.

The XBox area had the exact same setup and all we were told is "Sorry, it's upstairs, you can't try it" and were sent off. Typical!

All sounded good until that line. :/ That guy comes off as a fanboy.

Sounds like he was just quoting what happened...

Typical? How does he know it is typical of Microsoft/Xbox to react like that? It is more likely he just encountered some security folks on the Xbox side.