Italian schoolboys taught not to kill women

Killer Casanovas. eh?

There are certainty a lot of claims in this thread with seemingly 0% evidence corroborating it.

Statistically, most rapes happen because of parties that involve a lot of booze, drugs, and sex. This is where they happen on college campuses and its also where they happen in the military. The military has a huge after-hours drinking culture, its called "work hard, play hard." They're trying to deal with this institutionally by monitoring parties and controlling drinking.

So the ideas that either most rapes are caused by a. mentally ill people who are serial rapists targeting women on the street, or b. people who are just regular, innocuous, unsuspecting men who women have no chance of avoiding, are both wrong.

Most rapes happen by men that get drunk and are looking for girls to dress skimpy and party and get drunk with them. These men are entirely avoidable.

And yet those same people are still solely responsible for their actions. Blaming someone for wearing something that someone else deems to "easy" is still nothing more then an excuse. 

Killer Casanovas. eh?

There are certainty a lot of claims in this thread with seemingly 0% evidence corroborating it.

Well, I'll certainly back up what I'm saying.

http://www.911rape.org/campus-rape/what-students-need-to-know/stranger-rape-vs-acquaintance-rape

Most college students who are sexually assaulted are victimized by someone they know. Although stranger rapes occur, acquaintance rape is by far the most prevalent form of sexual violence among college students.

In the "Rape in Amercia" study, 80% of the girls and women who were raped were assaulted by someone they knew.  Similarly, in a report in "Violence Against Women" published by the Department of Justice, 82% of the victims were raped by someone they knew (acquaintance/friend, intimate, relative).

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-204_162-599904.html

Binge drinking and rape seem to go hand-in-hand on U.S. college campuses.

A new study has found colleges and universities with higher rates of binge drinking also have more rapes. In addition, nearly three-quarters of rape victims reported being intoxicated at the time of the attack.

"Women need to be alerted to dangerous situations where there's a lot of drinking and men need to be alerted to the fact that having sexual relations with a woman who is intoxicated is rape," study co-author Henry Wechsler, director of College Alcohol Studies at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, told CBS Radio News.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/news/national-world/military-initiatives-aim-to-combat-rape/article_52566c9f-c814-59d3-a649-6459dc5a6d79.html

There was no mention of the military?s push to prevent sexual assaults in its ranks, but those in the hot tub at San Diego Naval Base said they knew that?s why Tate was there. Tate serves on one of the Navy?s new nightly patrol units charged with policing bases to control heavy drinking and reckless behavior.

The patrols are among a number of new initiatives the armed forces are implementing to try to stop sexual assaults by changing the military?s work-hard, play-hard culture. The effort follows a Pentagon report, released in May, that estimates as many as 26,000 service members may have been sexually assaulted last year.

So, yes its a party culture that leads to rapes.

And yet those same people are still solely responsible for their actions. Blaming someone for wearing something that someone else deems to "easy" is still nothing more then an excuse. 

Yes, they are responsible.

My point, though, is that even if we drilled in into every boy's head that they need to respect women, there will always be bad people. Lecturing guys won't amount to much if women don't start avoiding these bad people. We aren't going to reduce the number of rapes in this country by just lecturing men on not raping women. If we're really serious about reducing rape, it has to be a message to both men and women -- both equally.

Men have a choice: don't be a bad person. Choose to be responsible, stay away from the drinking culture and treat women with respect. Its they're fault if they don't make that choice, and their responsibility if they fail to do that. Women, on their part, also have a choice: stay away from the bad men -- men who only care about how they look and whether they'll get drunk with them.

I don't doubt alcohol  contributes to sexual assault in some cases. I was referring to saying that most are, or the claim of 60/40 domestic violence split someone made on the last page.

It  won't amount to much if women don't start avoiding men who are bad for them. 

How would women know which men are bad and which ones aren't? That information would only come after an assault and by that time it wouldn't be useless in preventing said assault.

Combating sexual assault and rape starts by exposing the problem, encouraging victims to come forward and press charges. Keeping it hidden no doubt encourages the behaviour. Making arguments about their clothes or how they are hanging around the wrong men reinforces the idea that they are responsible for the crime that has been committed against them.

It seems even female doctors are suffering as well.

• Like 2

I don't doubt alcohol  contributes to sexual assault in some cases. I was referring to saying that most are, or the claim of 60/40 domestic violence split someone made on the last page.

How would women know which men are bad and which ones aren't? That information would only come after an assault and by that time it wouldn't be useless in preventing said assault.

Combating sexual assault and rape starts by exposing the problem, encouraging victims to come forward and press charges. Keeping it hidden no doubt encourages the behaviour. Making arguments about their clothes or how they are hanging around the wrong men reinforces the idea that they are responsible for the crime that has been committed against them.

It seems even female doctors are suffering as well.

Alcohol not only contributes to sexual assault, its involved in the vast majority of sexual assault.

On that topic, not all guys are heavy drinkers. Certainly, if you're on college and if you go to a lot of parties with binge drinking and sex and drugs, you're going to run into them. If you go to the other extreme, and meet guys in the school library, you're less likely to run into them.

Plus, alcohol is also just one part of the party culture. Guys who go out to drink are also looking for certain kinds of girls to date. They want girls to look and dress a certain way, because, above all, they care about their bodies. Other guys don't care how girls look and are not primarily interested in their bodies. Choose who you want to try to attract.

And certainly, the men who rape need to be held accountable. But that's still after the fact.

it's rediculus because no one thinks rape is a good thing. even rapists after they get caught admit they are sick. Dressing a certain way is like having a giant window into your house where you display all your valuable good and leaving the door unlocked... and then being outraged that your house was broken into. You hold some culpability. Sure you should be able to do all those things like a woman SHOULD be able to dress how she wants and go out and get hammered with no one making sure she gets home alright... But we live in an imperfect world and this attitude will only put more women into danger.

What is ridiculous is spelling ridiculous "rediculus".

• Like 2

I don't want to go too far off-topic here... But you know what? Let's just chase this tangent for a second, because a lot of people have this perspective, and they're all ****ing wrong. Let's just say that a lady is feeling randy one night. Maybe she does want to go out and find a sex partner. Maybe she is dressing like she wants it, maybe she does want it. BUT... she also has the right to choose who she sleeps with. She's not putting it out there for any guy to just come along and take it, especially not by force, and especially not then blaming her for it. That's complete bull****.

If you're advertising something for sale, it doesn't mean you have to sell it to the first person who comes along. You have the choice, you can wait for someone to come along who has something to offer in return that you want, or you can change your mind and not sell to anyone at the end of the day. On the other hand, if you steal something, or rape someone, or hurt someone willingly, you're the one at fault. End of story.

Nicely put! This is the best way i have ever see this explained. I am not a victim-blamer but i do know "ANY" situation could have been avoided had different preventive actions were taken. Since in the end you can't control someone else's actions, and all you can really do is control your own, a person CAN limit and control what dangers/outcomes/cause-and-effect actions happen... NEVER is it the victims fault, but in most cases, people can easily prevent the stupidity of others by looking ahead. Should they have too? No. I know I look ahead. I am a passive guy (not only Canadian passive but PASSIVE for even a Canadian) and 2 times i have been the willing victim of domestic abuse from my ex wife and first live in girl friend. Looking back, IT WAS NOT MY FAULT but i let it happen and also know now that it could have all be prevented. I just chose NOT to prevent it. Again, I am not victim blaming, just saying sometimes a victim can easily change the outcome if one encounters the stupidity of others.

Nicely put! This is the best way i have ever see this explained. I am not a victim-blamer but i do know "ANY" situation could have been avoided had different preventive actions were taken. Since in the end you can't control someone else's actions, and all you can really do is control your own, a person CAN limit and control what dangers/outcomes/cause-and-effect actions happen... NEVER is it the victims fault, but in most cases, people can easily prevent the stupidity of others by looking ahead. Should they have too? No. I know I look ahead. I am a passive guy (not only Canadian passive but PASSIVE for even a Canadian) and 2 times i have been the willing victim of domestic abuse from my ex wife and first live in girl friend. Looking back, IT WAS NOT MY FAULT but i let it happen and also know now that it could have all be prevented. I just chose NOT to prevent it. Again, I am not victim blaming, just saying sometimes a victim can easily change the outcome if one encounters the stupidity of others.

That's what I'm saying, too, except this topic has come up a lot lately in the media and some people are blaming the high number of rapes on a "rape culture", and think the solution is to teach men not to rape. And that seems to be what this story is about.

Men are part of the solution, in my view. Its not just about respect though; men also need to learn virtues like self-control, and know that they can turn into monsters if they let themselves down the wrong path. But its a bigger cultural problem with how we treat sex, drinking, and drugs in general. People need to stop being afraid of sounding conservative about it, for fear of sounding prudish.

Women have to be part of the solution, too, in that regard.

It's true that happens, but it's relatively rare compared to the number of times a woman is raped or sexually assaulted and doesn't even report it, usually out of fear of the stigma of being a rape "victim".

This is why there are investigations by our (hopefully/typically) competent law enforcement community...

When I was in Highschool these unreported rapes usually went like this (I am NOT saying all women or even the majority are like this, but this was my experience). Girl Tells the whole school she was raped the next day or all of her friends by ex boyfriend/guy/etc. Girl does not go to police. Guy gets beat to hell/someone else calls the cops. Girl backs out of charge either when police confront her or during court OR once I saw a girl admit she was lying after the guy was sentenced. In all of these situations the damage was done and the male was known forever as a rapist (small town). That being said, I have seen the opposite happen too. I once picked up a girl near a gas station who started banging on our window saying help me. Took her to our house and provided her dry clothes and called her friends. Wouldn't tell us what was wrong but we found out quickly she had been raped that night and violently at that. So I support all efforts to stop rape including this move. However, I am concerned we are not doing enough to vindicate men falsely accused of this horrific crime and that we do not prosecute women proven to have falsified the charge properly.

When I was in Highschool these unreported rapes usually went like this (I am NOT saying all women or even the majority are like this, but this was my experience). Girl Tells the whole school she was raped the next day or all of her friends by ex boyfriend/guy/etc. Girl does not go to police. Guy gets beat to hell/someone else calls the cops. Girl backs out of charge either when police confront her or during court OR once I saw a girl admit she was lying after the guy was sentenced. In all of these situations the damage was done and the male was known forever as a rapist (small town). That being said, I have seen the opposite happen too. I once picked up a girl near a gas station who started banging on our window saying help me. Took her to our house and provided her dry clothes and called her friends. Wouldn't tell us what was wrong but we found out quickly she had been raped that night and violently at that. So I support all efforts to stop rape including this move. However, I am concerned we are not doing enough to vindicate men falsely accused of this horrific crime and that we do not prosecute women proven to have falsified the charge properly.

Look, I'm a guy in his mid thirties, single. It's literally one of the scariest scenarios I can imagine. You p**s a girl off, not in a sexually related way at all, or maybe she's even an ex and you're breaking up, and she cries rape. It's scary because all it takes is one unstable girl who's angry, and even if it's proven to be false the accusation still carries a huge stigma. It's also often a he said/she said scenario.

The truth is though, and this is born out in virtually every study ever done on rape, your first scenario is very rare, while your second scenario is very common.

Approximately 2.3 million people each year in the United States are raped and/or physically assaulted by a current or former spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend.

http://nnedv.org/downloads/Policy/VAWA2005FactSheet.pdf

Also, this ties in heavily with @seta-san's line of thought. To try and diminish the horrific magnitude of these acts against hundreds of millions of women around the world by saying, "Well hey, women do it too. Men have it bad off too. Why is everyone focusing on violence against women when violence and bad things happen to men also. Women just need to make sure they're never alone with a man other than their fathers and husbands, especially if they're showing their ankles". It's like what you'd hear in Pakistan or Afghanistan where they punish the woman for being raped and let the man go.

It's literally no different than blaming a murder victim for somehow enticing the serial killer or robber to kill them, leaving themselves vulnerable, or acting like an easy mark and expecting nothing to happen. It's also no different than excusing murderers by saying that they have probably had a hard life, and people kill in war and that's allowed, and there's lots of murder and violence on TV and movies and that's OK, and hey what if someone accuses me of murder when I'm innocent.

No, no, no, just no. Of course people should take reasonable precaution, but you're super wrong, and super victim-blaming.

I don't want to go too far off-topic here... But you know what? Let's just chase this tangent for a second, because a lot of people have this perspective, and they're all ****ing wrong. Let's just say that a lady is feeling randy one night. Maybe she does want to go out and find a sex partner. Maybe she is dressing like she wants it, maybe she does want it. BUT... she also has the right to choose who she sleeps with. She's not putting it out there for any guy to just come along and take it, especially not by force, and especially not then blaming her for it. That's complete bull****.

If you're advertising something for sale, it doesn't mean you have to sell it to the first person who comes along. You have the choice, you can wait for someone to come along who has something to offer in return that you want, or you can change your mind and not sell to anyone at the end of the day. On the other hand, if you steal something, or rape someone, or hurt someone willingly, you're the one at fault. End of story.

Beautifully put. Why is the above not common sense?

Personally, I couldn't imagine doing it with an unwilling, or unconscious, partner. Just thinking about it gives me a flopper.

Look, I'm a guy in his mid thirties, single. It's literally one of the scariest scenarios I can imagine. You p**s a girl off, not in a sexually related way at all, or maybe she's even an ex and you're breaking up, and she cries rape. It's scary because all it takes is one unstable girl who's angry, and even if it's proven to be false the accusation still carries a huge stigma. It's also often a he said/she said scenario.

The truth is though, and this is born out in virtually every study ever done on rape, your first scenario is very rare, while your second scenario is very common.

Also, this ties in heavily with @seta-san's line of thought. To try and diminish the horrific magnitude of these acts against hundreds of millions of women around the world by saying, "Well hey, women do it too. Men have it bad off too. Why is everyone focusing on violence against women when violence and bad things happen to men also. Women just need to make sure they're never alone with a man other than their fathers and husbands, especially if they're showing their ankles". It's like what you'd hear in Pakistan or Afghanistan where they punish the woman for being raped and let the man go.

It's literally no different than blaming a murder victim for somehow enticing the serial killer or robber to kill them, leaving themselves vulnerable, or acting like an easy mark and expecting nothing to happen. It's also no different than excusing murderers by saying that they have probably had a hard life, and people kill in war and that's allowed, and there's lots of murder and violence on TV and movies and that's OK, and hey what if someone accuses me of murder when I'm innocent.

except unlike the girls in Pakistan or Afghanistan I'm not insisting they walk around with in a tent. I'm saying to use goddamn common sense. if you're going to go out drinking bring a ######ing designated driver to make sure you get home safely and don't leave with someone. Don't go wandering around that bad neighborhood and don't send mixed signals. If you do these things and something happens to you don't get in front of the goddamn camera and blame me through this ###### made-up "rape culture". I'm surprised that many of you can't see how much of a religion feminism has become and being born male is the new "original sin".

There *is* a rape culture to some degree, though. I didn't think it was the case for a long time, but it's become more apparent to me as I look around. Why is it an insult to a man to be called a girly-man? Why do men deride each other, especially in a dominating way, by calling them a 'bi***', something they tend to use for women as well? Why are there so many violent terms for sex? Why are men encouraged to sleep around, but women are not, and are called dirty or less important if they do? Why do we lose respect for a female when she'd had a lot of sexual partners, but not a male? Why do you hear "well, she was asking for it" or "look what she was wearing" when a woman is assaulted, but not when a man is?

A real man, a true gentleman, uses his strength to protect women, not leverage their generally stronger physical stature to their selfish advantage. The problem, I think, is that women tend to be dehumanised. In many cases, a woman isn't looked at as a human with feelings and thoughts and dreams and complex social situations, a person who has responsibilities at their job and at home, who is sometimes good and sometimes bad, someone who feels insecure at times, who has amazing talents and things they struggle with, someone who is trying to get through life and learning along the way just like you are. No, she's just a pretty decoration, a walking fleshlight, something you can try to convince to let you put your d*** in. A NPC. You don't have to think about how the attack is going to affect her life, because as far as you're concerned she doesn't have one.

Not everyone is like this. But what I just described is spot on for some men, and its reinforced by films and video games and society in general, where women are scantily-clad accessories or a prize to be won, and the complex characters you feel for and identify with are largely male. Stop and think about it for a minute. I promise you can think of many examples of this, and relatively few that are the opposite.

Let me reiterate, I'm not some crazy feminist. I have met some absolutely amazing men, and some absolutely terrible women. Another product of our culture is that people think in the short-term, they demand satisfaction immediately with no thought of consequences, people are selfish and short-sighted and don't value loyalty and long-term investments. People are expendable, and everyone's guilty of this attitude to some degree. Both genders think this way, in every aspect of society, their sex lives included (again, I'm generalising, not speaking for everyone). I'm not even sexually promiscuous myself--my first partner was my husband of my youth, and have never been one for the 'dating scene'. But I read the stories like this, or any of the ones on this page, and it's just ridiculous. Every human should be free to exercise their basic rights without fear of being victimised for no reason beyond what they were born with between their legs.

tl,dr; we need to fix a lot of things in society, and the first step to dealing with a problem is to stop denying it exists. Closed-mindedness is a terrible hindrance to progress.

• Like 3

tl,dr; we need to fix a lot of things in society, and the first step to dealing with a problem is to stop denying it exists. Closed-mindedness is a terrible hindrance to progress.

I can well believe that. The first step in solving most problems is communicating. 

except unlike the girls in Pakistan or Afghanistan I'm not insisting they walk around with in a tent. I'm saying to use goddamn common sense. if you're going to go out drinking bring a ****ing designated driver to make sure you get home safely and don't leave with someone. Don't go wandering around that bad neighborhood and don't send mixed signals. If you do these things and something happens to you don't get in front of the goddamn camera and blame me through this bull**** made-up "rape culture". I'm surprised that many of you can't see how much of a religion feminism has become and being born male is the new "original sin".

The only difference between you and and what they say in Pakistan is that you wouldn't have women wear a tent, you'd let them wear a skirt. But, if they get raped because they showed leg and flirted with a guy, that's their fault as much as the man who raped them.

By the way, with your logic a lot of murder victims are just as responsible for their own deaths as their murderer. I mean, hey, you wanna jog around your neighborhood at 9:30 PM or you allow yourself to be alone with another person that you don't know very well and you're just asking to get murdered, right? Who can blame the murderer when you put yourself in that situation?

The only difference between you and and what they say in Pakistan is that you wouldn't have women wear a tent, you'd let them wear a skirt. But, if they get raped because they showed leg and flirted with a guy, that's their fault as much as the man who raped them.

By the way, with your logic a lot of murder victims are just as responsible for their own deaths as their murderer. I mean, hey, you wanna jog around your neighborhood at 9:30 PM or you allow yourself to be alone with another person that you don't know very well and you're just asking to get murdered, right? Who can blame the murderer when you put yourself in that situation?

you are taking what he is saying too extreme. Here is what I think he means. Right now, fly to New York and tonight, wear a shirt with bright bold writing that says "N***ers are trash" or "KKK is the right path", and walk though little Harlem at midnight slowly. After its over, we will debate if you could have prevented your own death.

you are taking what he is saying too extreme. Here is what I think he means. Right now, fly to New York and tonight, wear a shirt with bright bold writing that says "N***ers are trash", and walk though little Harlem at midnight slowly. After its over, we will debate if you could have prevented your own death.

So, what you're saying is that most rape victims go sit in front of a strip club with no panties on and a shirt that says "Rape Me".

I think you're taking it to the extreme. Go back and read what @seta-san's point is in this topic, and I think you'll see that I'm not mischaracterizing it at all.

So, what you're saying is that most rape victims go sit in front of a strip club with no panties on and a shirt that says "Rape Me".

I think you're taking it to the extreme. Go back and read what @seta-san's point is in this topic, and I think you'll see that I'm not mischaracterizing it at all.

all i see him saying is you have it in your power to lessen the chance of something negative happening.

There *is* a rape culture to some degree, though. I didn't think it was the case for a long time, but it's become more apparent to me as I look around. Why is it an insult to a man to be called a girly-man? Why do men deride each other, especially in a dominating way, by calling them a 'bi***', something they tend to use for women as well? Why are there so many violent terms for sex? Why are men encouraged to sleep around, but women are not, and are called dirty or less important if they do? Why do we lose respect for a female when she'd had a lot of sexual partners, but not a male? Why do you hear "well, she was asking for it" or "look what she was wearing" when a woman is assaulted, but not when a man is?.

Why is it an insult to a woman to be called mannish? Why do women care so much about not being tom-boys? Why are men who sleep with a lot of women they don't care about called players, and men who give unwanted attention to women called pervs? Why are women recently starting to call each other '######' and 'pricks', something that's used for men as well? Why do we say "its every mans fantasy" when a teenage boy has sex with his teacher, but its a scandal if a teenage girl has sex with her teacher? Why do people say its "impossible for a man to be raped"?

I'm sorry, Charisma, but I think the way you see our culture is really one-sided.

My scenario is rare ill admit, but as we can both agree it needs addressing just as much as as the issue of rape which is extremely large. That said, I also would say that since the women who are calling rape for revenge generally don't go to police (I am NOT comparing this to women who don't call out of shame I think their is an easy way to tell the different, generally they tell everyone but the cops that they where raped) that the statistic might be a little larger than the studies show but either way I agree with you it is smaller than the percentage of real rape. But it can ruin a mans life forever to be falsely accused.

ll i see him saying is you have it in your power to lessen the chance of something negative happening.

And for a very small handful of the rapes that occur each year, that's good advice. But, to suggest that this is good advice for the majority of rape victims, like if women were just more careful they wouldn't be getting raped, is shameful and ignorant. It's patent victim blame, which from his quotes, @seta-san is explicitly doing. 

60% of rapes happen where someone should feel safe. 40% of rapes happen in the victim's home. 20% of rapes happen a friend's, neighbor's, or relative's home. 75% of rapes are committed by someone the victim knows. More than a vast majority of rapes have nothing to do with the clothes the person was wearing, or whether or not the woman had put herself in a dangerous situation. 

Keep in mind, the subject of this article isn't specifically rape, but instead murder. And, @seta-san responded directly to women's murder in exactly the same way he has rape.

He's not talking about the few cases of rape and sexual assault where a girl has done the equivalent of your example (and those cases are very few, see end of post), but rape in general. And, not just rape in general, but this situation in Italy of the increasing violence against, and murder of, women by men.

This quote is referring to this article in general: Violence against women is on the rise, and women are being murdered by men in alarming numbers in Italy.

this is all stemming from the feminist "Don't rape" campaign. It's all about not blaming the victim... no matter how much danger she puts herself in.

Here is part of his response to @Charisma's suggestion that educating young men is not as ridiculous as telling women to be careful about what they wear, and that men are overwhelmingly the primary violent sexual aggressors.

Dressing a certain way is like having a giant window into your house where you display all your valuable good and leaving the door unlocked... and then being outraged that your house was broken into. You hold some culpability.

Here's another gem:

I'm not arguing that how you dress prevents rapes overall. I'm suggesting that you can change the target. Predators go after easy kills.. Not the hardest

@mudlsag had a great response to this...

If all women started wearing only jeans, that wouldn't stop a rapist from still trying to rape. A sick person isn't going to feel dismissive over an article of clothing. The simple fact is, the sick person attacking someone else is the one to blame, period.

To expand on this... If women wearing skimpy clothing and hanging around men cause them to be raped, why aren't areas around beaches and swimming pools everywhere hot spots for rape?

What @seta-san is doing is called victim-blaming:

There is a greater tendency to blame victims of rape than victims of robbery in cases where victims and perpetrators know one another.

In 2005, Australian Muslim preacher Feiz Mohammad gave a speech in Australia that was covered in Europe and the U.S.[citation needed] in which he blamed women themselves for being rape victims.[/size]%5B18%5D%5B19%5D

He said: "A victim of rape every minute somewhere in the world. Why? No one to blame but herself. She displayed her beauty to the entire world... Strapless, backless, sleeveless, showing their legs, nothing but satanic skirts, slit skirts, translucent blouses, miniskirts, tight jeans: all this to tease man and appeal to his carnal nature.%5B20%5D%5B21%5D

In a case that became famous in 2011, an 11-year-old rape victim who suffered repeated gang rapes in Cleveland, Texas, was accused by the defense attorney of being a seductress who lured men to their doom.%5B22%5D "Like the spider and the fly. Wasn't she saying, 'Come into my parlor, said the spider to the fly?'?", he asked a witness.%5B22%5D The New York Times ran an article uncritically reporting on the way many in the community blamed the victim, for which the newspaper later apologized.%5B22%5D%5B23%5D

In a case that attracted worldwide coverage, when a woman was raped and killed in India in December 2012, some Indian government officials and political leaders blamed the victim for her outfit and being out late at night.%5B24%5D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victim_blaming

------------

Statistically, most rapes happen because of parties that involve a lot of booze, drugs, and sex. This is where they happen on college campuses and its also where they happen in the military. The military has a huge after-hours drinking culture, its called "work hard, play hard." They're trying to deal with this institutionally by monitoring parties and controlling drinking.

So the ideas that either most rapes are caused by a. mentally ill people who are serial rapists targeting women on the street, or b. people who are just regular, innocuous, unsuspecting men who women have no chance of avoiding, are both wrong.

Most rapes happen by men that get drunk and are looking for girls to dress skimpy and party and get drunk with them. These men are entirely avoidable.

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about the facts of rape and sexual assault, why and when and where they occur, and who perpetrates them.

Approximately 2/3 of rapes were committed by someone known to the victim.1

73% of sexual assaults were perpetrated by a non-stranger.1

38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance.1

28% are an intimate.1

7% are a relative.1

More than 50% of all rape/sexual assault incidents were reported by victims to have occured within 1 mile of their home or at their home.2

• 4 in 10 take place at the victim's home.
  • 2 in 10 take place at the home of a friend, neighbor, or relative.
  • 1 in 12 take place in a parking garage.

43% of rapes occur between 6:00pm and midnight.2

• 24% occur between midnight and 6:00am.
    • The other 33% take place between 6:00am and 6:00pm.
    The Criminal
    • The average age of a rapist is 31 years old.2
    • 52% are white.2
    • 22% of imprisoned rapists report that they are married.2
    • Juveniles accounted for 16% of forcible rape arrestees in 1995 and 17% of those arrested for other sex offenses.2
    • In 1 in 3 sexual assaults, the perpetrator was intoxicated ? 30% with alcohol, 4% with drugs.3
    • In 2001, 11% of rapes involved the use of a weapon ? 3% used a gun, 6% used a knife, and 2 % used another form of weapon.2
    • 84% of victims reported the use of physical force only.2
    Rapists are more likely to be a serial criminal than a serial rapist.

46% of rapists who were released from prison were re-arrested within 3 years of their release for another crime.4

• 18.6% for a violent offense.
    • 14.8% for a property offense.
    • 11.2% for a drug offense.
    • 20.5% for a public-order offense.
http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/sexual-assault-offenders

Rape is committed by sick individuals, not normal guys who are just horny and have had one too many and are tempted into it by their victim.

There seems to be a lot of misconceptions about the facts of rape and sexual assault, why and when and where they occur, and who perpetrates them.

Approximately 2/3 of rapes were committed by someone known to the victim.[/size]1

73% of sexual assaults were perpetrated by a non-stranger.[/size]1

38% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance.[/size]1

28% are an intimate.[/size]1

7% are a relative.[/size]1

No, I don't have misconceptions. The relationship to the victim is exactly part of my point and why I cited that in my post. I was pointing out most rapists aren't shady guys stalking women on the street.

The other part of my point is that alcohol is involved in the vast majority of cases, and also the majority of cases happens at parties involving things like binge drinking. College campuses have a big rape problem. The military has a big rape problem because of its after hours culture. It isn't just random "sick individuals." It isn't your local mailman. It isn't the geek in the library. It isn't your gardener. Its men who are part of a party culture that encourages bad behavior.

Making it sound like its just random guys obscures the problem. That prevents a real solution for people who are interested in finding one.