How to setup MS Exchange on iPad

Hi my wife has college email account and i have set this up on on my iMac using Outlook 2011 and it works now would like to use it on the iPad. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this I have already did some searches but no real luck so far and the message i do get back is not able to verify. I have also checked settings on the actual Outlook Web App to find any settings like POP, IMAP, and SMTP access but it's blank.

Thanks if you can help me on this.

Settings>Mail> Add Account> Exchange

Type in e-mail address/password and maybe username if needed, if the University has their autodiscover configured properly, it will do the rest. if not, try mail.domainname.com the server name.

And all of this is dependant on if they allow activesync for their domain accounts.

if it works on Outlook it will work on an iPad.

Domain\username

password

As was said though, it might be blocked too but that's rarely implemented, they would just set security on the mobile device before it can connect.

if it works on Outlook it will work on an iPad.

Domain\username

password

As was said though, it might be blocked too but that's rarely implemented, they would just set security on the mobile device before it can connect.

You sure? IMAP/POP3/MAPI may be enabled, but ActiveSync could be disabled...

enable-activesync.jpg

I can't find this setting on the Mac.

Here are my steps in setting up on the iPad 3 with IOS 7 and tell me if I am doing something wrong.

email: firstname.surname@city**********ac.uk

password: password123 (not real password)

description: Exchange - CLICK NEXT

NEXT SCREEN

Email: firstname.surname@city**********ac.uk

Server: https://ad-ex-cas1.city***********.ac.uk/EWS/Exchange.asmx (this is from outlook 2011 account settings on the Mac under Microsoft Exchange - Server there is also another setting under directory AD-DC01.************.ac.uk)

Domain: optional

Username: ********** (not email address just in case you are wondering)

Password: password123 (not real password)

Description: Exchange

CLICK NEXT

The next message is Unable to verify account information

I don't know if this will help: When we were using Exchange 2003 at work, I was having problems using <username>@<mydomain>.com to login.  Our IT department has fixed that since, but previously i had to use the login <username>@<mydomain>.local.  The suffix .local was required as part of the username for some reason.

If you have access to "Outlook Web Access", then there are some 3rd party apps that you can use that go through that "protocol" as oppose to the Exchange ActiveSync/IMAP/POP3 protocols.  I use Mail+ on my iPhone for all my work's exchange emails, tasks, calendar, contacts, etc, because I like to be able to turn all of the notifications for that stuff off easily and keep it completely separate from my personal email.

I can't find this setting on the Mac.

Here are my steps in setting up on the iPad 3 with IOS 7 and tell me if I am doing something wrong.

email: firstname.surname@city**********ac.uk

password: password123 (not real password)

description: Exchange - CLICK NEXT

NEXT SCREEN

Email: firstname.surname@city**********ac.uk

Server: https://ad-ex-cas1.city***********.ac.uk/EWS/Exchange.asmx (this is from outlook 2011 account settings on the Mac under Microsoft Exchange - Server there is also another setting under directory AD-DC01.************.ac.uk)

Domain: optional

Username: ********** (not email address just in case you are wondering)

Password: password123 (not real password)

Description: Exchange

CLICK NEXT

The next message is Unable to verify account information

I'd check with you work's IT department.  It sounds like they have mobile device activesync disabled.  Setting up a pc to use an exchange account is not the same as setting up an ipad to use exchange activesync.

At my work this is how we setup our moviles devices (we have our companies email hosted by office 365)

email: username@company.com

password: active directory password

server: m.outlook.com (during setup it auto looks up the correct outlook server that my email account is on.  Mine happens to be on bluprod0611)

domain: blank

our desktop outlook 2010:

email: username@company.com

password: active directory password

server: auto lookup 

username: username@company.com

on anything post 2010 Server/exch not only does active sync need to be enabled, it also requires OMA enabled on the AD account ;)

autodiscover needs to be configured correctly, failing that you can enter your webmail credentials so

https://webmail.<domain>.com/owa

domain\username

password

Not elegant but usually works when autodiscover is not enabled or configured properly.

Outlook uses IMAP whereas OWA uses HTTPS ;) hence needing autodiscover.domainname.com internet facing.

Ask her to ask the uni It department for the ipad connection guide for their email platform, if its enabled they will have a crib sheet.

You sure? IMAP/POP3/MAPI may be enabled, but ActiveSync could be disabled...

enable-activesync.jpg

Yeah that's what I was saying when I said "it might be blocked" - disabled... yeah.. same thing :p. I was just saying it wouldn't make much sense to disable it, just set security requirements (passwords strength and encryption and such) before the device can connect.

As shown later on after your post, Outlook is using Exchange so it just seems autodiscover is either not setup right or domain or server not listed correctly.

exchange works great on the ipad and iphone.  too bad you don't know your server settings.  You can manually enter your settings after the autodiscover fails.

exchange works great on the ipad and iphone.  too bad you don't know your server settings.  You can manually enter your settings after the autodiscover fails.

Manually entering the settings works only if you know what they are.