My Experience With Linux

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#76 TDT

TDT

Firestarter

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 13 December 2013 - 16:36

A little off-topic, but can someone recommend a TV app for Linux? Something like Sopcast (but not Sopcast, because the channel list is crap and most of the channels don't work...). Thanks :)

#77 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 13 December 2013 - 16:45

http://alternativeto...ftware/sopcast/

AlternativeTo is a great site to find all software, Windows, OSX or Linux.

#78 TDT

TDT

Firestarter

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 13 December 2013 - 16:56

Already searched that site, I only get 2 alternatives on Linux and they're not for watching TV...http://alternativeto...?platform=linux

#79 monkeylove

monkeylove

Neowinian

Posted 14 December 2013 - 13:30

How does Linux handle defragmentation? From what I gathered, the OS puts files in different parts of the disk. MS Win, on the other hand, generally files near each other.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of either process?

#80 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 14 December 2013 - 14:00

How does Linux handle defragmentation? From what I gathered, the OS puts files in different parts of the disk. MS Win, on the other hand, generally files near each other.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of either process?

The newer file systems are typically smarter how it places the file on the disk... most typically you won't ever need to defragment the drive. Usually only becomes an issue when a drive gets to near full capacity and the filesystem has no choice.  It's not immune to fragmentation, but fairly "resistant."  Sometimes you can just copy files off the drive, delete the originals and copy them back, presto defragmented, if there's enough available contiguous space.  (That works in NTFS too.)  There are defrag tools though for when it's really needed... but usually, if your drive is under ~90% or so full, probably never need it.

#81 xrobwx

xrobwx

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 14 December 2013 - 14:10

I usually do not post on forums as I absolutely hate the flaming and trolling. I would like to say that this particular topic has been courteous, professional and informative. It's posts like these that make me want to join a community and contribute as well as use it's vast knowledge base for my needs. I would like to thank everyone at Neowin for the help I have gleaned in the past. I would especially like to thank xorange for his professionalism and courtesy. 

#82 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 December 2013 - 14:19

I've tried my best at Linux many times using many different distro.  I'm a Windows and OS X user at heart and I always feel like something is missing with the OS and the alternative apps, that feeling of being incomplete or unpolished.

My main gripe is the situation with video drivers.  It almost feel like pulling a teeth trying to make my video card work with decent performance.  Anyway, benchmark do show that the better performance comes with Windows for Gfx.

At least I'm not closed minded, I do use 2 different OS and still try Linux in a VM from time to time.

#83 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 December 2013 - 15:20

I usually do not post on forums as I absolutely hate the flaming and trolling. I would like to say that this particular topic has been courteous, professional and informative. It's posts like these that make me want to join a community and contribute as well as use it's vast knowledge base for my needs. I would like to thank everyone at Neowin for the help I have gleaned in the past. I would especially like to thank xorange for his professionalism and courtesy. 

xorange has helped me many times. He doesn't just say do this, do that, he explains why you are doing it. Giving examples. I salute to him.

I've tried my best at Linux many times using many different distro.  I'm a Windows and OS X user at heart and I always feel like something is missing with the OS and the alternative apps, that feeling of being incomplete or unpolished.

My main gripe is the situation with video drivers.  It almost feel like pulling a teeth trying to make my video card work with decent performance.  Anyway, benchmark do show that the better performance comes with Windows for Gfx.

At least I'm not closed minded, I do use 2 different OS and still try Linux in a VM from time to time.

Well, video drivers don't do a whole lot when you are in a VM. But after working on this for a year, I found it very easy to configure ATI, Radeon (open source) or FLGRX (sp?) (proprietary). But, each to their own. :)

#84 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 December 2013 - 15:45

Linux in the house is most successful when people don't realize it is Linux.. Such as Android and most embedded systems

#85 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 December 2013 - 16:36

xorange has helped me many times. He doesn't just say do this, do that, he explains why you are doing it. Giving examples. I salute to him.

Well, video drivers don't do a whole lot when you are in a VM. But after working on this for a year, I found it very easy to configure ATI, Radeon (open source) or FLGRX (sp?) (proprietary). But, each to their own. :)

My test/problem with video driver where not when using inside a VM....  The last distro I tried (MINT) could not even detect or install the ATI driver successfully, I was pushed back to the command line, X would not start.  That's the kind of problem you don't have with Windows, nor do I have to fight to have my multi-monitor setup working.  All I'm saying is that it shows that Linux is still the underdog and is less easy to make it work compared to Win or OS X.  But when it does work, it's quite stable and much less prone to everything nasty you can find on the Web (virus and all).  I do have Linux servers at work and I enjoy working with them, but it's not for the same purpose than a desktop PC.

#86 OP Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 December 2013 - 16:41

Desktop hardware and software are different from servers. Using Debian for awhile now, you have to install the drivers as well as turning it on manually. There's not something like in Ubuntu where you can check for additional drivers.

#87 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 December 2013 - 00:26

Linux in the house is most successful when people don't realize it is Linux.. Such as Android and most embedded systems

My router runs Linux. So does my DVR.

#88 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 16 December 2013 - 00:28

My router runs Linux. So does my DVR.

pretty sure those run windows like the ISS...