i5-3570K overclock. Fully stable when gaming, (occasional) hard resets when

As the title states, I have an i5 3570K. Clocked at 4.1ghz / 1.2v, it's stable when I game and run other intensive applications, but it won't stay stable 24/7. Occasionally, (once every 2-5 days or so), it'll just decide to randomly hard-reset.

8 days ago (and other times, in the past) I reset my cpu to default settings (stock clock, voltage, etc) - I haven't had any problem with hard resets.

I've tried just about everything, increasing the voltage, decreasing the overclock, different load line calibration settings, etc..

Anyone have any suggestions?

The mobo is an ASUS P8Z77-LE Plus, you can see a review and all the BIOS options here: http://www.overclockers.com/asus-p8z77v-le-motherboard-review/.

Again, my current settings:

4.1ghz (102.5*40)

1.2v core

50% 'High' load line calibration

I'm pretty sure the crashes have to do with intel c-states, but I'm open to suggestions that solve my issue without disabling c-states.

LLC will decrease the Vcore as the CPU is stressed. Your 1.2v will probably become less than 1v when stressed.  Select a higher LLC so your Vcore won't drop as much.  Keep in mind as Vcore goes up so does the CPU/CORE temps. 

I've been playing around with it a bunch, and it seems like when the cpu voltage gets above 1.21v it actually makes the overclock completely unstable. CPU temperature isn't the issue, max I've seen is about 65c.

At any rate, what basically just happened was that I set it for a 4.1ghz overclock, 1.21v, and 100% "Extreme" LLC, and while running linx (for the short time before I crashed), voltage read 1.22v+.

Currently trying 4.1ghz @ 1.9v, 75% LLC and it seems to be going alright so far. It seems weird that "too much" voltage (1.2 is not really all THAT much) would cause immediate instability.

It seems weird that "too much" voltage (1.2 is not really all THAT much) would cause immediate instability.

nothing weird about it. overdriving fast signals will cause impedance mismatches within the transistors,which causes ringing and reflections, and will introduce noise into the signal that can bring highs low, or lows high.

Found an alternative 'technique' to overclock settings.. instead of setting manual voltage, I've used an offset and "Extreme" LLC:

Currently running 4.2ghz @ -0.020 offset (would have NEVER thought of trying a negative offset!), level 5 LLC. Temps are pretty good (considering my near silent rig), no more than 65c or so.

Seems stable so far, I ran LinX for a couple hours and I've seen no hard resets after around 24 hours now!

4.1ghz @ 1.9v

That is immense overkill.

I am running 4.5 Ghz and CPU-Z is showing 1.224 V (don't recall exact BIOS settings)

4.1ghz @ 1.9v

That is immense overkill.

I am running 4.5 Ghz and CPU-Z is showing 1.224 V (don't recall exact BIOS settings)