#1 ncc50446

ncc50446

Engage!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android AOKP 4.0.4

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:21

Hey,

Got a small problem with a computer..

Wife was using the computer when it suddenly froze. She shut it down, and tried to reboot. That's when the trouble began..

The lights would come on, the fans would spin (case fan, cpu fan, power supply fan, video card fan). The fans actually go crazy, spinning at full force.

There is no beep however, and no video.

I had her remove all the ram, and try to start the computer. The computer beeps every few seconds.

She also unplugged everything on the outside.

I also had her remove the BOIS battery for 1 minute, and replace it.

She also checked all the cables and everything. They are all secure.

The keyboard and mouse don't receive power. (No lights)

The computer was dusted out, though it was already pretty clean to begin with.

She isn't comfortable with unplugging everything on the inside. And I can't help her with that, since she is visiting with her dad out of town.

No I assume the motherboard is fine. It beeps when there is no ram, so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

My thought is the power supply is screwing up, but they don't have an extra one to test it with. And before they have to spend some $80 for a power supply (Current one is 750W), I was hoping someone else would have some other suggestions for them to try, to confirm that it is a power supply.

The model is https://en.wikipedia...ell_XPS#XPS_630 if that helps any.

Thanks for any help :)

#2 OP ncc50446

ncc50446

Engage!

Posted 10 October 2013 - 23:55

Does anyone have any ideas that I can pass along, before I go in search of a power supply?

#3 Star-Pirate

Star-Pirate

Privateer

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:30

Hi there are products like http://www.digitus.i...ester-da-70601/ which will allow you to test a power supply or search online for one... But I don't think it is the problem here as your FANS still spin and you are getting BIOS bleeps. Is the PC using a on-board graphics card or a PCIe card? for it is not uncommon for a graphics chip to fail.

#4 Starbuck84

Starbuck84

Would You Kindly?

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:40

I'd go for the minimalistic route. Unplug every external device, except for the keyboard, monitor and power. Detach any DVD / CD drive and HDD. Also remove all RAM modules except for 1. And boot. See if that does anything.

If it still doesn't work, just remove any PCI devices except for the videocard (unless it's an on-board videocard, in which case you just remove all PCI devices). Strip it to a bare minimum and see if it will boot. If it does, from there on just start plugging devices back in. The last thing you want to reconnect is your HDD, you don't want it to boot to Windows at this point.

If it beeps every few seconds, my guess would be a RAM issue. Maybe a faulty RAM module? You told her to move all RAM modules, but didn't state if you let her boot with just one module.

#5 OP ncc50446

ncc50446

Engage!

Posted 11 October 2013 - 20:44

Hi there are products like http://www.digitus.i...ester-da-70601/ which will allow you to test a power supply or search online for one... But I don't think it is the problem here as your FANS still spin and you are getting BIOS bleeps. Is the PC using a on-board graphics card or a PCIe card? for it is not uncommon for a graphics chip to fail.

There is no onboard video....I had been hoping there would be, but there isn't, and no extra video cards laying around at the moment...I'll see if he has something to test the power supply with, a multimeter or something.

I'd go for the minimalistic route. Unplug every external device, except for the keyboard, monitor and power. Detach any DVD / CD drive and HDD. Also remove all RAM modules except for 1. And boot. See if that does anything.

If it still doesn't work, just remove any PCI devices except for the videocard (unless it's an on-board videocard, in which case you just remove all PCI devices). Strip it to a bare minimum and see if it will boot. If it does, from there on just start plugging devices back in. The last thing you want to reconnect is your HDD, you don't want it to boot to Windows at this point.

If it beeps every few seconds, my guess would be a RAM issue. Maybe a faulty RAM module? You told her to move all RAM modules, but didn't state if you let her boot with just one module.

She isn't comfortable unplugging everything, but guess she will have to lol

And no, didn't try just 1 ram module, but I'll have her try that as soon as she can.

#6 Star-Pirate

Star-Pirate

Privateer

Posted 11 October 2013 - 22:30

If it turns out not to be a graphics card problem, or memory.

Check the 12 volt line which is used to power processor usually 4 or 8 pin connector... It will be near to CPU. If it's not connected or providing the right power, will cause the CPU to fail.

Which would defiantly mean a new PSU

#7 Olly-

Olly-

Neowinian

Posted 12 October 2013 - 14:13

Have you tried replacing the motherboard (CMOS) battery?  I've seen an issue similar to this a few years ago, where because the CMOS battery was flat the computer would only spin up the fans.

#8 OP ncc50446

ncc50446

Engage!

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:37

We switched out the CMOS battery, and still didn't work. They decided to just wait until I can come and take a look at it. They aren't the most tech savy, and are afraid of breaking something, so I'll test the other suggestions at a later date. Thank you all for the help :)

#9 Squuiid

Squuiid

Neowinian

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:56

As others have indicated, likely a graphics card issue, especially if it's an nvidia chip as indicated in the wiki.

http://www.theinquir...-misery-deepens

Another thing to check, especially with Dells, is for bad capacitors. Look at every capacitor on the motherboard and check that they haven't burst. I had this happen to over 150 Dell Optiplex GX520 units. Had to threaten Dell that we were moving to HP to get them to 'admit' there was an issue, and they fixed all 150+ units. Poor Dell onsite tech, horrible job!

http://www.thenakedp...rs/close-up.jpg

#10 Squuiid

Squuiid

Neowinian

Posted 16 October 2013 - 00:14

Hey,

Got a small problem with a computer..

Wife was using the computer when it suddenly froze. She shut it down, and tried to reboot. That's when the trouble began..

The lights would come on, the fans would spin (case fan, cpu fan, power supply fan, video card fan). The fans actually go crazy, spinning at full force.

There is no beep however, and no video.

I had her remove all the ram, and try to start the computer. The computer beeps every few seconds.

She also unplugged everything on the outside.

I also had her remove the BOIS battery for 1 minute, and replace it.

She also checked all the cables and everything. They are all secure.

The keyboard and mouse don't receive power. (No lights)

The computer was dusted out, though it was already pretty clean to begin with.

She isn't comfortable with unplugging everything on the inside. And I can't help her with that, since she is visiting with her dad out of town.

No I assume the motherboard is fine. It beeps when there is no ram, so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

My thought is the power supply is screwing up, but they don't have an extra one to test it with. And before they have to spend some $80 for a power supply (Current one is 750W), I was hoping someone else would have some other suggestions for them to try, to confirm that it is a power supply.

The model is https://en.wikipedia...ell_XPS#XPS_630 if that helps any.

Thanks for any help :)

How did the repair go? Any luck?

#11 OP ncc50446

ncc50446

Engage!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 00:19

As others have indicated, likely a graphics card issue, especially if it's an nvidia chip as indicated in the wiki.

Another thing to check, especially with Dells, is for bad capacitors. Look at every capacitor on the motherboard and check that they haven't burst. I had this happen to over 150 Dell Optiplex GX520 units. Had to threaten Dell that we were moving to HP to get them to 'admit' there was an issue, and they fixed all 150+ units. Poor Dell onsite tech, horrible job!

Thanks, I'll have her take a look at the capacitors :) And thanks for the articles, I'll pass it along

How did the repair go? Any luck?

So far it's a no go. She has tried some of the suggestions here, but doesn't want to break things further. So until I can take a look at the computer personally, and do what others have suggested, she is stuck using a pc that isn't quite as good lol Could be a couple months before I get to take a look at it..Unless she can bring it to me sometime lol

Thanks everyone for the help :)

#12 shadowgmo

shadowgmo

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 16 October 2013 - 00:29

I know is a very simple step and dunno if you already tried (I didn't read it in the thread).

Did you tried draining the power?

Remove the power cable (or anything that provides any type of power).

Press and hold the power button for around 15 seconds.

Reconnect the cables and see what happens.

#13 OP ncc50446

ncc50446

Engage!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 00:31

I know is a very simple step and dunno if you already tried (I didn't read it in the thread).

Did you tried draining the power?

Remove the power cable (or anything that provides any type of power).

Press and hold the power button for around 15 seconds.

Reconnect the cables and see what happens.

Yes, she did try that too, just forgot to mention that in the first post. Was actually a problem that I had with one of my computers a month ago lol But had no effect for her..

Thanks though :)

#14 Heisenberg

Heisenberg

Neowinian

Posted 16 October 2013 - 00:52

This is somewhat similar to what happened to one of my desktops before, it has an Intel i3 processor and only uses the integrated graphics module. I would power it on but only fans would work, on-board LAN worked too (i think, because its LEDs are flashing), but no power for the keyboard and mouse. I tried replacing RAMs from other units as well, but that did not solve the problem. A friend told me that it might be CPU that prevents it from booting, primarily because of insufficient cooling, so I went on buying a new CPU fan (Deep Cool Gamma Archer), and then installed it. It worked. 

#15 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:07

It's not to often that the capacitors just make the computer basically go poof, but very possible, especially on a Dell. Don't know what kind of cheap, leaky crap they use, but that's a pretty common problem in them.

The capacitors don't have to be blown all to bits either. Just a tiny, tiny brownish spot on the tops of them and they're toast.