Photo

Intel CPU with 8 processors inside

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 max22

max22

Neowinian

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:07

Is there any Intel CPU out there with 8 processors yet ?

#2 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:09

Do you mean cores?

#3 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:10

Technically i7's I believe have 8 cores through the use of hyper threading - Something I don't believe companies like AMD do.

#4 OP max22

max22

Neowinian

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:10

Do you mean cores?

Guess so yes.

#5 OP max22

max22

Neowinian

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:11

Just saw subscribed.gifWatch Dogs PC specs and want to upgrade maybe.

#6 NoClipMode

NoClipMode

Neowinian

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:12

Haswell-E will have 8 cores next year. But you can get 12 core Intel Xeon CPU's right now.

#7 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 22
  • Phone: HTC One (Work) Lumia 1020 (Home)

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:13

Yea the X99 will have 8, but for now anyway it's primarily AMD only unless you want to go into the four digit range.

#8 OP max22

max22

Neowinian

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:16

Haswell-E will have 8 cores next year. But you can get 12 core Intel Xeon CPU's right now.

The 12 core Intel Xeon CPUs are thousands of dollars though right? What are they mainly for anyway ? How much can they handle ?

Would it even work in my motherboard as well ?

Asus  P8P67 LE

#9 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:16

Technically i7's I believe have 8 cores through the use of hyper threading - Something I don't believe companies like AMD do.

AMD's implementation of threads is more accurate to cores than hyperthreading. 8 integer units with 4 FPUs, while intel goes 4 integer units, 4 fpus with 2 threads for each one of them. (quad core parts... because there is the 6 core part too)

#10 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:28

AMD's implementation of threads is more accurate to cores than hyperthreading. 8 integer units with 4 FPUs, while intel goes 4 integer units, 4 fpus with 2 threads for each one of them. (quad core parts... because there is the 6 core part too)

that's a much better way of writing what I was trying to say :p

I had this very conversation with a friend recently who thought it was better to go AMD as they could get an 8 core CPU whereas Intel only offered 4 and had to try and explain hyper threading without fully knowing the technical ins and outs of how and why etc.

#11 OP max22

max22

Neowinian

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:29

I had this very conversation with a friend recently who thought it was better to go AMD as they could get an 8 core CPU whereas Intel only offered 4 and had to try and explain hyper threading without fully knowing the technical ins and outs of how and why etc.

Really? How odd.

#12 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:34

I develop for my research on an FX8350, the performance that I have for my current tasks is better than using hyperthreading. Hyperthreading works when the load is very light, when it isn't, both threads battle for resources on both the integer or the FPU unit. So as you can see, no real winner here.

#13 philcruicks

philcruicks

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:59

The 12 core Intel Xeon CPUs are thousands of dollars though right? What are they mainly for anyway ? How much can they handle ?

Would it even work in my motherboard as well ?

Asus  P8P67 LE

They are a lot more expensive and they are Server grade CPU's not what you want to be using for gaming and they won't work with your motherboard anyway.

#14 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 09 October 2013 - 19:31

Technically i7's I believe have 8 cores through the use of hyper threading

Hyperthreading doesn't add cores, it's an optimisation to allow more efficient thread switching. An application running more threads than the number of cores will run slightly faster on a HT processor; as the threads compete for CPU time they'll be scheduled more efficiently with hyper-threading than without. If it's running the same number of threads it will make no difference.

#15 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 October 2013 - 19:36

Unless you're upgrading a server which needs extreme parallel computing, it would be a huge waste of money. No consumer level game or application is going to take advantage of all those cores with an appropriate amount of threads.