Intel CPU with 8 processors inside

Yea the X99 will have 8, but for now anyway it's primarily AMD only unless you want to go into the four digit range.

Haswell-E will have 8 cores next year. But you can get 12 core Intel Xeon CPU's right now.

The 12 core Intel Xeon CPUs are thousands of dollars though right? What are they mainly for anyway ? How much can they handle ?

Would it even work in my motherboard as well ?

Asus  P8P67 LE

Technically i7's I believe have 8 cores through the use of hyper threading - Something I don't believe companies like AMD do.

AMD's implementation of threads is more accurate to cores than hyperthreading. 8 integer units with 4 FPUs, while intel goes 4 integer units, 4 fpus with 2 threads for each one of them. (quad core parts... because there is the 6 core part too)

AMD's implementation of threads is more accurate to cores than hyperthreading. 8 integer units with 4 FPUs, while intel goes 4 integer units, 4 fpus with 2 threads for each one of them. (quad core parts... because there is the 6 core part too)

that's a much better way of writing what I was trying to say :p

I had this very conversation with a friend recently who thought it was better to go AMD as they could get an 8 core CPU whereas Intel only offered 4 and had to try and explain hyper threading without fully knowing the technical ins and outs of how and why etc.

I had this very conversation with a friend recently who thought it was better to go AMD as they could get an 8 core CPU whereas Intel only offered 4 and had to try and explain hyper threading without fully knowing the technical ins and outs of how and why etc.

Really? How odd.

I develop for my research on an FX8350, the performance that I have for my current tasks is better than using hyperthreading. Hyperthreading works when the load is very light, when it isn't, both threads battle for resources on both the integer or the FPU unit. So as you can see, no real winner here.

The 12 core Intel Xeon CPUs are thousands of dollars though right? What are they mainly for anyway ? How much can they handle ?

Would it even work in my motherboard as well ?

Asus  P8P67 LE

They are a lot more expensive and they are Server grade CPU's not what you want to be using for gaming and they won't work with your motherboard anyway.

Technically i7's I believe have 8 cores through the use of hyper threading

Hyperthreading doesn't add cores, it's an optimisation to allow more efficient thread switching. An application running more threads than the number of cores will run slightly faster on a HT processor; as the threads compete for CPU time they'll be scheduled more efficiently with hyper-threading than without. If it's running the same number of threads it will make no difference.

Unless you're upgrading a server which needs extreme parallel computing, it would be a huge waste of money. No consumer level game or application is going to take advantage of all those cores with an appropriate amount of threads.

I wonder if it is possible to hook up 8 Pentium 4 processors, you could probably  then use it to heat your house :laugh:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the 8+ core CPUs are all Xeon, aren't they? And you'll be looking at costs of $1000+ easily. I've got about all the different kinds here at work. They aren't worth it for a home system 99% of the time unless you plan on running some serious virtualization. Also, no, most of them won't work with your current motherboard.

Cant wait to get a ESX system set up with Quad 8 core processors and a huge SAN and 128GB of ECC RAM per processor..... 32 Cores with tons of disk space and memory = VDI ready

More cores does mean more theoretical performance but applications have be written to take advantage and right now very little end up using more then 2-4 (with older applications only using 1)

A lot of configurations (especially laptops and tablets) are restricted in terms of how much heat they can output and as such rate chips in terms of TDP (Thermal design power). Due to this in previous years we saw a lot of cases where you could get 4 lower clocked cores or 2 higher clocked cores.

Now Intel Turbo Boost has gotten so good that it really isn't the case any more, you can have 4 cores running at a lower clock  but if only 1 or 2 are in use the other cores are disabled and the clock speed on those individual cores are increased while staying within the TDP.

Still it'll be a bit before desktop chips migrate to higher core count. As some users mentioned Haswell-E will have 8 core options but that's really more an enthusiast/workstation platform then consumer.

We might start to see this change more rapidly in games at least as Xbox One and Playstation 4 are both 8 cores but they are both fairly low IPC cores and in most cases 4 Intel cores outpace them. It'll be interesting to see the next few years anyways.

More cores does mean more theoretical performance but applications have be written to take advantage and right now very little end up using more then 2-4 (with older applications only using 1)

Very true -- but most people would tend to run more than one program at a time, not including background services and such.. those extra cores should improve "relative performance" as the OS allocates the workload across what's available.  Not going to do anything for ye olde single threaded programs, but it won't bog the system down either as the extra cores free it up to do something else, at least with later versions of Windows (and Linux obviously), if I remember right XP was fairly bad at it.

Very true -- but most people would tend to run more than one program at a time, not including background services and such.. those extra cores should improve "relative performance" as the OS allocates the workload across what's available.  Not going to do anything for ye olde single threaded programs, but it won't bog the system down either as the extra cores free it up to do something else, at least with later versions of Windows (and Linux obviously), if I remember right XP was fairly bad at it.

SSD helps a lot too.

Hello,

I hope you ment cores instead of processors. There are motherboards that support more than one processor but I believe consumer based products are not optimized for it.