15 posts in this topic

Minibar in Austin, Texas, has found itself in the middle of a domestic violence controversy after an employee posted a sign outside the bar that read, "I like my beer like I like my violence: domestic."

After Austin resident Seetha Kulandaisamy shared a picture of the sign on Facebook and Instagram, the post grabbed national attention.

"I walked by the sign on Friday night, and my first response was just anger," Kulandaisamy said. "I currently am a volunteer at the women's shelter in Austin, so my sensitivity is extra high, but I think my reaction would have been the same regardless. Not only was it offensive, but it was also just bad humor."

Minibar removed the sign the following morning and fired the employee responsible for posting the sign.

"Minibar doesn't condone that sign," owner Alex Elmiger said. "I give my utmost apology and assure it won't happen again. As soon as it was brought to my attention, I wanted to do something to rectify the situation."

Minibar plans to donate $1 of every domestic beer sold in the month of October to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, in recognition of domestic violence awareness month.

source

post-37120-0-08142600-1381321250.jpg

How odd. I just saw this picture while browsing aimlessly:

x5CHZIG.jpg

I didn't realise the guy got fired for it, though.

I am more offended by the domestic beer implication.  Unless it is micro/craft brew...domestic is crap.

2 people like this

yeh, just saw this on reddit.

I think he just intended a little humor.

Doesn't offend me.

It's ironic he wrote that on a Heineken board.

1 person likes this

Humor doesn't play well anymore because people are more aware over issues than they once were. I hate that the guy got fired over it, though.

1 person likes this

Yeah, you can't expect the public to have a sense of humor. I have a rather dark sense of humor myself, but I know who I can and cannot share that with at least.

Arguing with stubborn people is not worth the effort over a joke.

people need to chill the ###### out.. Why is it, when someone gets offended, all hell has to break loose? 

1 person likes this

Oh those boys in Austin are oh so classy. Nice one, guys.

The offense is more prominent when its posted on a facility such as this and creates adverse public feedback to it.Whilst it may not offend some it does others who have suffered such violence so yes its a "joke" in extremely bad taste and I don't think any of the beer manufacturers would condone such wording.

The offense is more prominent when its posted on a facility such as this and creates adverse public feedback to it.Whilst it may not offend some it does others who have suffered such violence so yes its a "joke" in extremely bad taste and I don't think any of the beer manufacturers would condone such wording.

If it hadn't been posted on the Internet I doubt if few would have payed it much mind. It is probably some local funny that no one else finds funny.

Humor doesn't play well anymore because people are more aware over issues than they once were. I hate that the guy got fired over it, though.

We all should take responsibility for what we say.

There is a time and place, and clearly this was neither.

First heard it a couple of decades ago.  The line, that is, not this particular story.  Not surprised at the reaction though.

Somebody made a foolish decision and the owner did a mea culpa and offered some money to a worthy cause. Live and learn.