• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:16

I've rolled out this month's updates on about 50 machines at work without so much as a single hitch.

#17 ramesees

ramesees

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:18

Interesting, left a 41 update install running before I went to bed last night and haven't checked it yet (at work currently typing this).

Will find out when I get home to see if its knackered or not :(

#18 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:18

yesterday my windows 8 laptop reported that it had to reboot to install updates; there were 41 (!) of them, that being too much considering i have automatic updates turned on. so i rebooted and after more than an hour just to pass a single update (i have to see which one was the culprit) it was all good.

#19 Starbuck84

Starbuck84

Would You Kindly?

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:01

That's the common denominator it seems ... the ATI cards Don't know what the solution to that would be tho

And if you try to boot into Windows 8 using a forced low resolution?

Enable low-resolution video: Starts Windows 8 using your current video driver and using low 640x480 resolution and refresh rate settings. You can use this mode to reset your display settings, or to use a television monitor with your computer if needed.

How-to: http://www.eightforu...indows-8-a.html

Just a thought. :)

#20 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 11 October 2013 - 16:03

My Windows 8 machine got stick at 12% configuring updates, I thought it locked up after 10 mins so I shut it off turned it back on and it went back to 12% then I just left it alone and finally at some point ( Can't remember how long) it rebooted now all is fine.

My Media center with windows 7 also got stick at configuring updates but didn't take that long.

#21 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 October 2013 - 16:12

Mine updated last night, and when it rebooted, it took at least 20 minutes as it was 'cleaning up' and doing all the install stuff before it finally finished booting.

it works fine now tho, not sure why it took so long

#22 DrakeN2k

DrakeN2k

Neowinian

Posted 11 October 2013 - 16:42

For me , it took ages for them to be installed, it got stuck at 12% for around 30 mins.

#23 OP static_geek

static_geek

All this happened, ... more or less.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 17:11

I finally had to uninstall the 13.9 drivers and reinstall the 13.4 drivers.......seems to have taken care of the problem

#24 funkyspacecadet

funkyspacecadet

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Posted 11 October 2013 - 20:42

And if you try to boot into Windows 8 using a forced low resolution?

Yes, I tried that - nothing worked. Sadly!

#25 funkyspacecadet

funkyspacecadet

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Posted 11 October 2013 - 20:45

I finally had to uninstall the 13.9 drivers and reinstall the 13.4 drivers.......seems to have taken care of the problem

Before it went totally bottom up, I tried uninstalling the ATI drivers, then updating, same issues, but then after that, I couldn't use a restore point, glad you got sorted, though!

I've since re-installed, still have a LOT of work ahead, using the default ATI drivers that come with Windows update, have applied ALL updates, and it's fine so far, including the update for ATI drivers from Windows Update.

Once all my software is installed I'll make an image using CloneZilla and then install the latest stable ATI drivers.

What a weird mess this has been.

#26 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 October 2013 - 21:38

I've had that issue with the flashing on and off monitor a few times from Windows 8 updates, I've never been able to figure out what causes it, and oddly enough, I didn't get it yesterday when other people apparently did.  My wife's PC on the other hand will now just show a black screen after POST until the machine is restarted, at which point it will load into Windows just fine.

I did have a problem with the mass of updates however, I had to uninstall Avast as it was blocking a good 12 of the updates from being installed and presenting a blue screen on login after the updates were uninstalled..

Windows 8 updating is not smooth.  This isn't on a machine with old hardware either, all of it is post Win8 launch.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!