What is the best 64bit Firefox browser?

Cyberfox is another one. I used to use Waterfox but the large gap in updates due to bugs with the Intel compiler changed that. As of late I've been using 64-bit Chromium on Windows and it's actually pretty awesome.

Personally, I'd go in this order; Cyberfox > Pale Moon > Nightly x64 > Waterfox.

I've tried all 64 bit variants of Firefox and in the end, I went back to Firefox official. The speed increase with the 64 bit versions are negligible at best and you are likely to experience compatibility issues from time to time.

• Like 3

I wouldn't use any, they've always been buggier and slower than the 32bit builds (Although I'm sure that's improved)

Unless you're running out of the 32bit address space, you won't see any gains from moving to a 64bit browser.

• Like 3

Does a browser really need to access more than 4GB of RAM?

Unknown, but browsers are doing more than ever. 64bit is not just about registers and ram allocation. Same debate goes for does the iPhone really need to be 64bit?

Cyberfox is another one. I used to use Waterfox but the large gap in updates due to bugs with the Intel compiler changed that. As of late I've been using 64-bit Chromium on Windows and it's actually pretty awesome.

Personally, I'd go in this order; Cyberfox > Pale Moon > Nightly x64 > Waterfox.

How did you get a 64bit version of Chromium...is that available to just download or do you have to compile yourself?

How did you get a 64bit version of Chromium...is that available to just download or do you have to compile yourself?

Its available to download:

http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-continuous/index.html?path=Win_x64/

• Like 3

I hope firefox switches over to 64bit within the next couple of years. XP support ends in march 2014, the vast majority of vista//7/8 users use 64bit windows so it would be nice if they ditched 32bit in 2yrs or so as it would give a ~10% speed improvement.

I used them for a while when I first built my i7 rig, but tbh theres so little in the way of performance upgrade that when you eventually run into issues with plug-ins etc, you,ll probably just go back to plain ol 32-bit.

Awesome, does that auto update?

Nope... Sorry... Once a day or twice, download latest mini_installer.exe from lowest folder and overwrite its installation. It works...

Awesome, does that auto update?

Nope, just like regular Chromium. So it's best to manually update it every day or so. I'm honestly surprised a news story about 64-bit Chromium builds wasn't posted - and they've been out for over two months now!

Nope, just like regular Chromium. So it's best to manually update it every day or so. I'm honestly surprised a news story about 64-bit Chromium builds wasn't posted - and they've been out for over two months now!

Chrome development is very difficult to follow despite how much effort can be done. Firefox is way easier to follow.

Using Cyberfox with many addons and some scripts (therefore hard to judge speed or differentiate between some bug and speed issues) for some time now. There have been some stopgaps, but nothing serious.

If you run 64-bit Chromium on Windows, you might run into this issue. Keep that in mind and post in that bug report about it. ;) You might also run into Flash crashes too.

Yep pretty much the first thing I noticed :p

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder why these browser companies don't have 64 bit Windows binaries of their browsers readily available.  The Linux repos publish the 64 bit versions of the browsers and plugins by default, and Chrome's website even gives you links for the 32 bit or 64 bit versions of Chrome if you're running Linux.  If you're running Windows though they just give you 32 bit without even asking.

post-125978-0-41469900-1383467512.png

Edit: I mean it's not like 32 bit is the dominant architecture nowadays.  Wasn't 64 bit the default starting with Win7?

I wonder why these browser companies don't have 64 bit Windows binaries of their browsers readily available.  The Linux repos publish the 64 bit versions of the browsers and plugins by default, and Chrome's website even gives you links for the 32 bit or 64 bit versions of Chrome if you're running Linux.  If you're running Windows though they just give you 32 bit without even asking.

attachicon.gifchrome.png

Edit: I mean it's not like 32 bit is the dominant architecture nowadays.  Wasn't 64 bit the default starting with Win7?

Not even Windows 8.1 is 64-bit only although in Windows 8.1 at least IE is 64-bit by default in case of 64-bit OS.