Goodbye plasma TV's?

I love my Panasonic plasma. In it's day, it was much better than most of the LCD's around back then. But technology moves on, and if the current LED and OLED units are all around better, then plasma has had it's moment in the sun.

The best TV I have ever owned was a 55" Panasonic NeoPDP a couple of years ago. It was the most amazing TV to watch action movies on and play fast FPS and racing games. WipeOut HD looked incredible on it. The colours. The black levels. The SPEED! I recently played The Last of Us on a friends plasma and realised how much better that game looks on a screen which can do amazing black levels. Playing it again on my (very decent Sony LCD) just doesn't compare :(

I love my Panasonic plasma. In it's day, it was much better than most of the LCD's around back then. But technology moves on, and if the current LED and OLED units are all around better, then plasma has had it's moment in the sun.

The problem is that current LEDs aren't better. They can't match the real contrast(not talking about the crap dynamic contrast as it's useless and leaves no details in bright and shadowed areas). LED with sidelit back lights also has horrible light bleeding on the sides and edges, even the high end models, and they suffer from halos because they're backlit lighting through a filter panel.

Anyone with any sense of quality would get a plasma. I ended up with a series 6 55. Sammy LED purely because of a great price offer. Of course a month later I could have gotten a much better Panasonic plasma for the same... :/

As for OLED. Great potential. Unfortunately image quality isn't there yet. Yes journalists brag them to the seventh cloud because the black levels make them appear absolutely awesome. But that only tells a fraction of the story. It doesn't say anything about how fast it changes from color to color, or how many levels of colors there is between black and white.

And that hasn't brought us to the main and unsolvable problem with OLED yet. Every time an OLED pixel lights up, it dies a little and goes a little bit dimmer.

Panasonic is dropping plasma because they're not selling, they're not selling because people don't care about picture quality and reviewers are horrible and only brags about the latest thinnest Samsung LED with crappy cross talking 3D(FYI, plasma didn't have cross talk when they first got 3d because they are so fast at shifting. While LED still suffers.)

I love my pioneer PDP-435 which is still running strong since 2005 I think it was (maybe 2004). Still the main TV in our house. We have been through 2 Samsung LCD tvs in that time.