PORT WASHINGTON, NY (CBSNewYork)

Posted

I want the 90's back!

Posted

I want the 90's back!

I want common sense back.

8 people like this

Posted

You want the 90's back?  Because it was different and better back then?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I know that my school and a number of others banned certain schoolyard games (British Bulldog, Off-Ground Tag) because kids were getting hurt.  The likelihood is one kid got hurt in one game at one school, and so others reacted.

The world's not got worse, it's got more reported.

2 people like this

Posted

Tag? Really? So little kids can't even run around anymore?

And people wonder why "ADD" and ADHD" are getting worse. They just need to run around a bit.

2 people like this

Posted

Without helmets and pads, children are much more susceptible to getting hurt, experts said.

And with helmets and pads children are much more susceptible to growing up as wimps.

5 people like this

Posted

you can get hurt in any sports...  nothing you can do about it...

you can get better by going to the doctor to get fixed up... as long as you have insurance.

1 person likes this

Posted

Meh, I'd just move my Children to a different School; nothing worth making a fuss about. I think that's taking safety a little too far, but it's their School and they can do what they like. It definitely seems to be more about liabilities than Child safety, though.

Posted

They should at a minimum require helmets for playing tag. It is such a dangerous bloodsport.

1 person likes this

Posted

You want the 90's back?  Because it was different and better back then?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I know that my school and a number of others banned certain schoolyard games (British Bulldog, Off-Ground Tag) because kids were getting hurt.  The likelihood is one kid got hurt in one game at one school, and so others reacted.

The world's not got worse, it's got more reported.

Precisely.  Games like British Bulldog and Brandy (which involved chasing someone down and throwing a ball at them so hard that it left a mark) were regularly banned when I was at school in the '70s and '80s.

2 people like this

Posted

WorstMom_Web_large.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

OMG... me getting hurt all the time was normal as most kids at school doing dares on the playground, playing hardcore dodgeball, jumping from jungle jim to the next, running up a slide with gravel poured on it, etc... 

If these yuppie parents would see the stuff I did as a kid they would have a heart attack! Geez they need to realize thier little babies aren't gonna grow up if you don't let em!

Posted

so what are they gonna do during recess? standing still and smoke?

Posted

Well that sounds like an overreaction.

Posted

Meh, I'd just move my Children to a different School; nothing worth making a fuss about. I think that's taking safety a little too far, but it's their School and they can do what they like. It definitely seems to be more about liabilities than Child safety, though.

Unless you can afford a private school you have no choice in where your kid goes to school, school choice was killed by the Unions and other vested parties in the mediocrity that school has become, I'm glad I was lucky and my kids went to schools where the staff had a dose of common sense, I hold no hope for their children 

Posted

Out school system is full of idiots. 

1 person likes this

Posted

so what are they gonna do during recess? standing still and smoke?

Some parents obviously would rather have thier children smoke and have sex then get a lil bruise on the playground and play video games. SMH -_-

Posted

When I was in grade school we played tackle football at recess, no pads.

2 people like this

Posted

this is dumb. if i ever have kids i want them to be able to go out and do what ever they want . getting scrapes and cuts and hit with a ball in the head is what being a kid is all about, i remember playing a game of  red rover and litterally clothes lining a kid and she got up and went right back to playing. 

1 person likes this

Posted

All I needed was a swing during recess and I was set.

1 person likes this

Posted

Ahh fond memories of giving another kid a mild concussion during a game of Bombardment.  /s

That's just absurd.  May as well ban pencils too just to make sure nobody gets impaled on one.

Posted

The parents who are complaining about the bans would probably be the same parents taking the school to court if their kid was hurt. This is the result of creating a litigious culture. If you think every time something goes wrong in life you can flip that into a potential pay-off you'll have to get used to bans like these being enforced.

2 people like this

Posted

That's just absurd.  May as well ban pencils too just to make sure nobody gets impaled on one.

And utensils in the cafeteria too.

Posted

"Without helmets and pads, children are much more susceptible to getting hurt, experts said."

We needed experts to figure that one out?

Posted

The parents who are complaining about the bans would probably be the same parents taking the school to court if their kid was hurt. This is the result of creating a litigious culture. If you think every time something goes wrong in life you can flip that into a potential pay-off you'll have to get used to bans like these being enforced.

Permission slips instead of a ban.  "By signing this you waive your right to sue." Over-coddling is probably pretty harmful in the long run too.

1 person likes this