School bans balls, tag during recess

all it takes is some bad students who ruin it for everyone. Should just kick the trouble makers out.

Then they go on to be the next round of hardcore criminals. :rolleyes:

When I was in grade school we played tackle football at recess, no pads.

same here. unfortunately, I injured and crippled my best friend for the rest of his life. He brushes it off everytime I bring it up, but I know he'll never forgive me.

Permission slips instead of a ban.  "By signing this you waive your right to sue." Over-coddling is probably pretty harmful in the long run too.

Rather than banning such games outright parents should simply be asked to sign a permission slip acknowledging the risk.

The idea of permission slips might be over-simplifying it. I would imagine this isn't just for kids who want to play ball games, thus are at risk of getting hurt by them, but also other students on school property who might get bit by a ball. The school seems to be doing what it sees as necessary to avoid being sued. I doubt many kids are at a high risk of serious injury from a ball but if a kid gets hit there would be no shortage of lawyers willing to take the case and try to sue the school.

That is how the game goes now: you have to anticipate what you might be sued for and protect against it even if it seems highly unlikely. I've noticed a lot of playground equipment is starting to disappear from parks around my area. I would assume it has to do with councils fearing a child getting hurt and the parents suing them.

You want the 90's back?  Because it was different and better back then?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I know that my school and a number of others banned certain schoolyard games (British Bulldog, Off-Ground Tag) because kids were getting hurt.  The likelihood is one kid got hurt in one game at one school, and so others reacted.

The world's not got worse, it's got more reported.

the 90s were better and different. pre-911, pre-draconian, pre-spying, before the war on terror, before parents thought that all kids would die in the real world.

in the early 90s i sprained my ankle on the jungle gym at my elementary school. guess what, the school didnt ban jungle gyms.

The parents who are complaining about the bans would probably be the same parents taking the school to court if their kid was hurt. This is the result of creating a litigious culture. If you think every time something goes wrong in life you can flip that into a potential pay-off you'll have to get used to bans like these being enforced.

Sadly this sums it up right here. Everyone wants to sue for every thing, so now they are going to treat people like idiots that can't be trusted to do anything on their own. Way to go, America!

the 90s were better and different. pre-911, pre-draconian, pre-spying, before the war on terror, before parents thought that all kids would die in the real world.

in the early 90s i sprained my ankle on the jungle gym at my elementary school. guess what, the school didnt ban jungle gyms.

I remember getting one of those now banned soccer balls in the side of the face one time. It was a little damp and an old ball too, so it was like getting slapped hard as ######, the side of my face was bright red the rest of the day. I thought it was funny and maybe a bit of a war scar as a kid.

Now we're really gonna see obesity set in in kids when they can't even go outside and play.

Unless you can afford a private school you have no choice in where your kid goes to school, school choice was killed by the Unions and other vested parties in the mediocrity that school has become, I'm glad I was lucky and my kids went to schools where the staff had a dose of common sense, I hold no hope for their children 

We have open enrollment here...you just have to provide transportation if you aren't in the area, and you can't do it if there is no room at the new school.

Sorry when I saw the title I was thinking of other set of balls, i.e. a Onion article. Didn't expect the absence of common sense is this strong.

Out school system is full of idiots.

And most of them already have advanced degrees.

Seriously, they complain kids are hyperactive, getting fat & out of shape then complain about everything that could do to prevent it.

They also continue being told how special they are even in the absensce of skill sets our schools classified as basic. Not only that, but in many schools even if they do break a sweat in gym class they can't be required to take a friggin' shower because it might violate their "privacy."

We're raising a bunch of lazy, self absorbed wimps.

Rather than banning such games outright parents should simply be asked to sign a permission slip acknowledging the risk.

Probably not a good idea in our sue happy culture. Idiots would sue regardless and I doubt the schools can afford to have to worry about that on a regular basis. Probably better just to ban it all.

^ I wouldn't mind dodge ball being banned -- that gets sadistic.

I hear ya. I remember this one bully in school that liked to throw the ball as hard as he could at the weaker kids. I know it had to hurt when it hit them.