Fed up of waiting for GDR2 time to do it manually

nokia nokia 520

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Arkos Reed

Arkos Reed

The Slayer of Gods

Posted 10 October 2013 - 20:22

I don't have GDR2...but I do have Data Sense.

Because your carrier elected to use it in their Rom version. It was optional before GDR2.

#17 ShadowMajestic

ShadowMajestic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 October 2013 - 20:26

Also the benefits of a lot longer battery duration. a 5 times as fast booting of the system (took aaaaaages before). Overal responsiveness of the entire system(fps drops are almost nonexistant). Not to mention some Amber goodies for the Lumia owners.

#18 PUC_Snakeman

PUC_Snakeman

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 10 October 2013 - 20:29

GDR2 is now available for the AT&T Lumia 920, through the normal channel, Settings -> Phone Update.
My phone is updating right now (it's been on a gears animated icon for several minutes)

#19 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 64

Posted 10 October 2013 - 21:10

My work here is done /thread.

#20 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:32

Retail phones should all have gotten it by the end of September already.

#21 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:05

GDR2 is now available for the AT&T Lumia 920, through the normal channel, Settings -> Phone Update.
My phone is updating right now (it's been on a gears animated icon for several minutes)

My phone updated fine but wife's phone (both 920s) started showing weird problems after the update. The phone completely lost all sound, couldn't play any music or ringtones. Phone calls could be answered but no sound from the other end.
I ended up hard resetting it after several reboots didn't fix the problem.
Now the phone is in endless loop of spinning gears. A quick search shows many such reports on nokia forums. None of the solutions on the forums are working for me.
I guess the phone is going for warranty repairs tomorrow.
Be warned, back up before you update.

#22 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:13

Disappointed that AT&T still won't give us Data Sense, but not the end of the world.  Really enjoying the updates so far besides that :D

#23 +beanboy89

beanboy89

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:16

Disappointed that AT&T still won't give us Data Sense, but not the end of the world.  Really enjoying the updates so far besides that :D

Still wanting DataSense. Wish we'd get it on AT&T.

#24 OP Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• Tech Issues Solved: 64

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:30

My phone updated fine but wife's phone (both 920s) started showing weird problems after the update. The phone completely lost all sound, couldn't play any music or ringtones. Phone calls could be answered but no sound from the other end.
I ended up hard resetting it after several reboots didn't fix the problem.
Now the phone is in endless loop of spinning gears. A quick search shows many such reports on nokia forums. None of the solutions on the forums are working for me.
I guess the phone is going for warranty repairs tomorrow.
Be warned, back up before you update.

Wow that's weird if they are the same phone, Were they retail or carrier? :s

I did point out to read the site carefully and said mine is retail. Hope you are able to get it sorted!

#25 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:10

Is it clean install or upgrade?

If that is upgrade, it means annoyance.

- setup all email/facebook/nokia etc accounts

- apps need to be installed one by one from windowsphone.com

- start screen layout messed up

- app settings gone

- game progress gone

- contact links messed up

I do not understand why these things can not be backed up in cloud and restored when someone logged in with their Microsoft account...

Some of your list is true but if you restore from backup all your apps will be automatically installed and all your accounts will be automatically configured.  I've never had any problem with linked contacts either.  I agree that it's a shame that app settings and start screen layout aren't backed up but you can be up and running after a clean install pretty quickly in my experience.

#26 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:32

Wow that's weird if they are the same phone, Were they retail or carrier? :s

I did point out to read the site carefully and said mine is retail. Hope you are able to get it sorted!

Cyan 920 and red 920, AT&T variants. The red 920 is now out of reboot loop but still no sound and battery no longer holds charge. It is always charging, shows 100% remaining but the phone dies within minutes if I unplug it.

#27 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 11 October 2013 - 14:46

Some of your list is true but if you restore from backup all your apps will be automatically installed and all your accounts will be automatically configured.  I've never had any problem with linked contacts either.  I agree that it's a shame that app settings and start screen layout aren't backed up but you can be up and running after a clean install pretty quickly in my experience.

How do you restore from backup after a clean flash?

#28 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 11 October 2013 - 14:53

You can't.

There is no real backup and restore function for WP so far as I am aware.

You'd be the first person I'm aware of to run into this issues after a firmware update >.>

Perhaps try doing a factory reset with the new firmware you just flashed onto it. It's been known to fix some flash corruptions in the past.

Also, check to see if your phone is still branded (i.e. AT&T), if not, you'll have to manually flash back to the right channel firmware >.>

#29 Crimson Rain

Crimson Rain

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 1020 Yellow

Posted 11 October 2013 - 14:59

It's a clean install.

What happened to me:

- Upgraded GDR2 > Firmware

- Setup Windows Phone (as if it's new)

- Choice to sync apps and settings (or start with a clean slate)

- I synced apps and settings and was prompted for my Facebook password and Email accounts

- It took about 20mins to sync all my apps

Back where I started before, but I have to verify WhatsApp, enter user/pass for Twitter etc..

Edit: Contacts were synced too :)

Weird.

I was tired of not getting GDR2+Amber (unlocked CV). So I flashed it clean and didn't get any "sync" option :(

#30 Arkos Reed

Arkos Reed

The Slayer of Gods

Posted 11 October 2013 - 15:02

Weird.

I was tired of not getting GDR2+Amber (unlocked CV). So I flashed it clean and didn't get any "sync" option :(

As long as you have a Microsoft account set up on the phone before the upgrade, and have enabled the sync/backup in it, you have not much else to do.

Don't expect apple-like backups though, it only backups account settings, sms, application lists. You won't have application settings backups for example.