Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 upgrade; can it already be done?

Question

I just bought a new Asus notebook with Windows 8 pre-installed.

Maybe you guys know....

Can I just upgrade this to the new Windows 8.1 with my TechNet image/DVD whilst using the installation-key of the pre-installed Windows 8?

Or do I need to wait another week and have it upgraded via the Windows Store?

13 answers to this question

You can upgrade with a generic key that's floating around the web and then switch it back to your actual key afterwards for activation.

You can upgrade with a generic key that's floating around the web and then switch it back to your actual key afterwards for activation.

This is correct and Windows 8.1 is great, but after going through this process myself, I think with only a week until its pushed through the Windows store - waiting for that would be the better option. 

- Just my opinion though!

just wait a few days and get the update when it is released,

keep in mind that 8.1 isnt a new version of windows. its just an update like a service pack so its nothing crazy like a full version or anything. your existing keys will work with it.

• Like 1

Yes, find a generic key online to get through the install. Then when you get back onto windows open a command prompt. type:

slmgr.vbs -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

to change the key..Then command prompt:

slui 3

to activate

Yes, find a generic key online to get through the install. Then when you get back onto windows open a command prompt. type:

slmgr.vbs -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

to change the key..Then command prompt:

slui 3

to activate

Unfortunately the last step didn't work, since it was not a valid key (for Windows 8.1 I guess...)

I had to restore to factory settings, because a generic key was used... will upgrade next week or some other time via the 'official' way.

Well I was gonna post yesterday but was mobile.

IF you really wanna do it now with your TechNet ISO then you basically will need to format. From then on you can install with your TechNet key then change to your Windows 8 key if you want to be "official" - Otherwise your TechNet key will be activated just fine and work as expected.

Unfortunately the last step didn't work, since it was not a valid key (for Windows 8.1 I guess...)

I had to restore to factory settings, because a generic key was used... will upgrade next week or some other time via the 'official' way.

Strange it worked for me, i installed 8.1 with a leaked key, then i changed it to my actual retail upgrade key, it changed and activated perfectly fine... did activate over the phone though, not over the internet.

I just bought a new Asus notebook with Windows 8 pre-installed.

Maybe you guys know....

Can I just upgrade this to the new Windows 8.1 with my TechNet image/DVD whilst using the installation-key of the pre-installed Windows 8?

Or do I need to wait another week and have it upgraded via the Windows Store?

I upgraded my desktop and tablet using an ISO from MSDN this week and I had to re-enter my product key in order to activate. In the case of my desktop, I had to do the phone method to activate Windows.

Strange it worked for me, i installed 8.1 with a leaked key, then i changed it to my actual retail upgrade key, it changed and activated perfectly fine... did activate over the phone though, not over the internet.

Retail and OEM keys work differently.

Worked fine for my retail copy also (I did it slightly differently, but same idea).

Got me my moving dragon wallpaper :D (It's not actually a dragon anymore :()

Sorry for hijacking thread, but did not want to start a new one, today is the day 8.1 is released, correct? Will it just show up under Windows Update? Or does it need to be a download from somewhere else? TIA, DL

Sorry for hijacking thread, but did not want to start a new one, today is the day 8.1 is released, correct? Will it just show up under Windows Update? Or does it need to be a download from somewhere else? TIA, DL

No, official release date is October 18th (Friday), but it will be released for Windows 8 users on October 17th (Thursday). You will have to update via the Store, not via Windows Update.

No, official release date is October 18th (Friday), but it will be released for Windows 8 users on October 17th (Thursday). You will have to update via the Store, not via Windows Update.

Ahhh okay thanks, I thought it was today for some reason. Good to know it is tomorrow (I have 8 installed already), and I will look for it in the Store itself. Thanks for the quick response. (Y)