illinois police interrupted speech low pay union protestors

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,713 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 16:46

A single mother who has been working at McDonald's for 10 years was detained by police last week after she interrupted the company president's speech in Chicago to confront him about low worker pay.

Crain's Chicago Business reports that 26-year-old Nancy Salgado was part of a group protesting the event, asking company officials to raise worker wages to $15 an hour and allow employees to form a union without fear of retaliation.

Protestors were detained for an hour, threatened with arrest, and ticketed, according to Chicagoist.

Here's what Salgado said to McDonald's USA President Jeff Stratton: "I'm a single mother of two. It's really hard for me to feed my two kids and struggle day to day. Do you think this is fair that I have to be making $8.25 when I've been working at McDonald's for 10 years?"

Stratton's response: "I've been there [at McDonald's] 40 years."

Salgado told The Real News that she still works at McDonald's (although they cut her hours back) and she loves her job, but she wanted to speak out because she thought her voice needed to be heard.

"It gets harder and harder," she said. "Sometimes I can't provide a gallon of milk in the refrigerator."

source & video

#2 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,597 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 16:49

Hah. Some jobs are meant to have a high turn around for employees. If you're stuck in one of these jobs for 10 years, then it sucks to be you. They've clearly shown they don't value loyalty and that's their prerogative.

Also, maybe being a single mother of two kids isn't a "fault" of hers but she surely didn't happen by them on accident.

#3 rr_dRock

rr_dRock

Resident Magical Lion v1.2

• 884 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy SIV (CM11), iPhone 4S

Posted 10 October 2013 - 16:51

SO GET A BETTER JOB! Minimum wage was never meant to be a living wage, and these people are just entitled ###### bags who think everything should be handed to them, instead of them having to work to accomplish something.

Go get an education, do something that actually makes a difference to the world, instead of flipping burgers.

Everyone else knows that if they don't like what they're getting paid, they need to seek other employment or get more skills. Why is that these burger flipping ###### think they deserve as much as a skilled tradesperson?

There is a reason she never made it to manager (which has an income of significantly more money), and the reason is pretty obvious, even without knowing her. 

#4 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 16,028 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 10 October 2013 - 16:53

i dont think its the company presidents sole problem that you are not paid more, in certain areas mcdonalds pays more than others. as a rule they do in fact pay low but if you dont like it, get a different job.

#5 Skwerl

Skwerl

Neowinian Ancient

• 1,762 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920 (Yellow)

Posted 10 October 2013 - 16:58

Wow, $15 an hour to work as a fast food jockey?  I would have loved that when I worked for Dairy Queen...when I was f---ing 16 years old!  If you're older than 22 and working in fast food as a clerk, it's time to grow the f up and move on.

#6 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,350 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 10 October 2013 - 16:58

In capitalist America, corporations arrest you! 

#7 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,257 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 16:59

Not this again....

Personally, if I had 2 kids and was getting payed crap wages, I would either look for a different job that pays more, or look for a 2nd job.  I wouldn't rely on or wait for others to bail me out.  I mean, if you are suffering so much wouldn't you, as a parent, do whatever you can to make sure things are available for your kids?  Also, if I was working for a place for 10 years and got barely above minimum wage, You would be damn sure I wouldn't be working there any longer especially when hours are cut.  Why wait and hope for something better for that long and when you have kids to support.

#8 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,128 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 16:59

Not everybody can get everything they desire.  Just because she made bad choices or was unlucky, doesn't mean she is entitled to anything.  If she gets her high salary, then everybody else gets screwed over because prices will have to be raised to compensate for it.  I'm sorry, but sometimes some people get shafted for the betterment of the masses.

#9 goodbytes

goodbytes

Just below average Joe

• 6,146 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 17:02

It's mainly teenagers working at McDonalds.

If it wasn't for the hot presenter i wouldn't have watched it all.

#10 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,597 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 17:04

In capitalist America, corporations arrest you!

Well, not arrested but detained for an hour. It is uncomfortable to know that a private organization has that kind of influence with the police force. Maybe they were paying the police to be there and that had to do with it.

#11 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,257 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 17:05

A lot of energy and knowledge to work at McDonalds?  Really?  I go home and I may my own burgers on the grill, I fry my own fries and pour my own soda.  I make my own deserts and and even clean up after myself.  It is not rocket science.

Seriously lady, try getting out there and working the jobs that do pay 15 or more an hour and then compare it to the knowledge you need to do your job.  And your job is not the only full time job out there either that people have to go to every day.  So your reasoning for $15 an hour is just plain silly.

#12 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,597 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 17:08

The video shows that she is uneducated and can barely hold a cohesive conversation without looking up into her head for thoughts.

#13 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• 9,737 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 10 October 2013 - 17:09

Aren't McDonald restaurants a franchise? So isn't it upto the various franchise owners what to pay their workers / charge for food?

Not to mention fast food isn't supposed to be a lifetime job...You have to have made some bad decisions to be working at McDonalds in the same position for 10 years. This gets brought up every single time, there are plenty of people who are working in skilled labor jobs that don't make $15 an hour. Why should people working in unskilled labor get paid that much?

Sure you can say that raising minimum wage for everyone would be the right thing to do, but that won't really work. All that would happen is the cost of everything would rise to match the minimum wage and so individual purchasing power won't really change.

#14 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,109 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 17:13

I was thinking about this issue the other day. I was at Chick Fil A for lunch and the difference is night and day as far as the customer service compared to McDonalds/Wendys/Burger King. The restaurants are just plain cleaner and friendlier. I'm not 100% on this, but I think Chick Fil A also pays employees more. The point though is that until McDonalds changes their image and focus, I don't see any reason these employees should be paid more. Will a higher wage mean higher quality service is the real question.  

#15 FriendlyBully

FriendlyBully

Neowinian

• 203 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 17:14

I don't agree with the arrest. Seriously though, who expects a career for a high school kid job? Why not try to get into management? I guess people don't have the desire to make a better life for themselves.