illinois police interrupted speech low pay union protestors

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#16 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

• 4,591 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 17:19

I was thinking about this issue the other day. I was at Chick Fil A for lunch and the difference is night and day as far as the customer service compared to McDonalds/Wendys/Burger King. The restaurants are just plain cleaner and friendlier. I'm not 100% on this, but I think Chick Fil A also pays employees more. The point though is that until McDonalds changes their image and focus, I don't see any reason these employees should be paid more. Will a higher wage mean higher quality service is the real question.

The management ideology of both chains are different and have different values. Obviously Chick-fil-A management care about their image and so they have clean stores and superbly courteous employees (at least at the ones around here) where as McDonald's does not. I would venture to guess that Chick-fil-A does pay more and also asks for more in return where McDonald's just doesn't care; cheap food, cheap service, low expectations from customers.

#17 Xerino

Xerino

The Mouth

• 2,592 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 17:19

Fast food has never been regarded as a.career, and if her income is as meager as she says, it's time for her to go visit the local welfare office and apply for a food stamp program, this gal seems a little to proud for that though lol

#18 wv@gt

wv@gt

Neowinian Senior

• 4,055 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 17:22

The management ideology of both chains are different and have different values. Obviously Chick-fil-A management care about their image and so they have clean stores and superbly courteous employees (at least at the ones around here) where as McDonald's does not. I would venture to guess that Chick-fil-A does pay more and also asks for more in return where McDonald's just doesn't care; cheap food, cheap service, low expectations from customers.

Exactly, and this is why I don't expect McDonalds to change their wages. If you want to work fast food and want high wages, work for a company that has better values and a better image. Its like comparing Walmart to Publix as far as groceries 

#19 SierraSonic

SierraSonic

SierraSonic

• 964 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 17:28

Everyone calling these jobs high school jobs fail to realize that these are the jobs that are growing, every other type of job market is shrinking, or not growing fast enough to meet up with demand. You get the job where you are hired, I know I worked fast food while I was looking for another job... for 2 and a half years!

These jobs aren't as easy as you remember, especially as more and more work is being given to less and less staff to make up profits. Menus are getting complicated, stores are merging so menus double or triple in size, etc.

I know of plenty of low wage workers who have to do some of managerial tasks without extra pay. For example at some of the stores I worked, the morning shift would have 7 or 8 staff with managers present and bring in only 1.5x-2x the revenue of the night shifts which only have 1 or 2 staff and no managers. The night shift aren't paid any more for the morning shift, even though they do twice the amount of work per person. The other shifts get to leave for as soon as it's time to clock out while the ending shift has to stay to make sure the store is ready for the next day, but gets yelled at for staying later than scheduled or for not having the store in tiptop shape the next day, even if workload was left from previous shifts.

These jobs used to be, order taker, order filler, cashier, cook, etc. Now you are an all in one employee doing everything to save some employee costs.

Anyone who isn't complaining doesn't realize that these jobs are harder than they used to be and that some people are forced to work at these places until another job comes along, which can be 2+ years!

#20 SupportGeek

SupportGeek

Neowinian

• 483 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 17:29

I don't understand why people like this think they should be able to raise a family on McDonalds pay.

Fast-Food business model has always been to hire and train the highschool age or retirement age worker who either need a first part time job, or are just working for a little extra cash on the side.

Want more money? Get a better paying job, make better decisions, dont have 2 kids while being employed as a McDonalds drone. Thats a lot of balls to ask for 2x the pay increase, for doing the same unskilled job, its not McDonalds responsibility to make sure she has enough money to put milk in her fridge or raise her 2 kids, its hers and hers alone.

#21 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,178 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 17:40

I suspect a few folk in this thread of double standards, and talking with no experience of actually being out working or having gone through further education, and then being tossed into a very very saturated jobs market.

And just because she`s ill-witted or slow, does not equate to her having to live below "living wage", purely as it`s "the way things are", or "to fit the system".

She has the same right`s as anyone else in this world and im rather shocked at the lack of support for someone who`s been a loyal employee and is just trying to get by.

Actually amazed at some peoples stereotypical few of a low-pay employee. Just wait to you`ve sat your degree, then end up stuck in a low pay job for 2-5yrs, either because you have to freelance or your area of expertise is no longer in demand and your re-training, etc, etc.

#22 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,133 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 17:40

I don't understand why people like this think they should be able to raise a family on McDonalds pay.

Fast-Food business model has always been to hire and train the highschool age or retirement age worker who either need a first part time job, or are just working for a little extra cash on the side.

Want more money? Get a better paying job, make better decisions, dont have 2 kids while being employed as a McDonalds drone. Thats a lot of balls to ask for 2x the pay increase, for doing the same unskilled job, its not McDonalds responsibility to make sure she has enough money to put milk in her fridge or raise her 2 kids, its hers and hers alone.

Deadbeat fathers more often than not lead to this problem.

#23 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

• 1,392 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 17:43

these people are just entitled **** bags who think everything should be handed to them, instead of them having to work to accomplish something.

The problem with this fallacious argument is that she is working. She just isn't making any headway which can be frustrating but truthfully it's no one's responsibility but hers.

#24 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

• 4,591 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 17:53

I suspect a few folk in this thread of double standards, and talking with no experience of actually being out working or having gone through further education, and then being tossed into a very very saturated jobs market.

And just because she`s ill-witted or slow, does not equate to her having to live below "living wage", purely as it`s "the way things are", or "to fit the system".

She has the same right`s as anyone else in this world and im rather shocked at the lack of support for someone who`s been a loyal employee and is just trying to get by.

Actually amazed at some peoples stereotypical few of a low-pay employee. Just wait to you`ve sat your degree, then end up stuck in a low pay job for 2-5yrs, either because you have to freelance or your area of expertise is no longer in demand and your re-training, etc, etc.

Is it the low-pay I'm judging her by or the ignorant way she speaks? She has the same rights indeed: the right to pursue happiness. How she goes about that is completely up to her, but frankly, she's failing at it.

#25 SierraSonic

SierraSonic

SierraSonic

• 964 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 18:05

Is it the low-pay I'm judging her by or the ignorant way she speaks? She has the same rights indeed: the right to pursue happiness. How she goes about that is completely up to her, but frankly, she's failing at it.

Not everyone has the luck to find a better job instantly, I was forced to work fast food twice each with 2+ years of it.

I would be the first to speak lowly of you if you insulted any employee in my restaurants, at least if they were a hard worker. There are the stereotypical young ones that do nothing to contribute to the workload and make the job seem easier than it is (they don't last long).

#26 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,133 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 18:10

Not everyone has the luck to find a better job instantly, I was forced to work fast food twice each with 2+ years of it.

I would be the first to speak lowly of you if you insulted any employee in my restaurants, at least if they were a hard worker. There are the stereotypical young ones that do nothing to contribute to the workload and make the job seem easier than it is (they don't last long).

It amazes me how many people judge ignorance, and character from a job.

I think some have forgotten that a job does not define the person.

#27 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

• 4,591 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 18:10

Not everyone has the luck to find a better job, sure, but if they aren't how is it McDonald's responsibility to make up for a crappy economy?

#28 SierraSonic

SierraSonic

SierraSonic

• 964 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 18:15

Not everyone has the luck to find a better job, sure, but if they aren't how is it McDonald's responsibility to make up for a crappy economy?

They should have wages that INCREASE for people who work there over time, 10 years, and still makes minimum wage, but I bet you she has more responsibilities. I bet you the white collar divisions of McDonald have wage increases and benefits over time.

A job is a job, no one is less important than anyone else in the company. They all work for the same goal.

I usually thought that the people who bring the money in should be compensated monetarily more than those who simply manage it, which should mainly receive greater benefits. They are the face of the company after all.

White collar should be less wages more benefits.

Blue collar should be more wages less benefits.

It currently is white collar has more wages and more benefits.

Blue collar gets screwed.

#29 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

• 4,591 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 18:29

They should have wages that INCREASE for people who work there over time, 10 years, and still makes minimum wage, but I bet you she has more responsibilities. I bet you the white collar divisions of McDonald have wage increases and benefits over time.

A job is a job, no one is less important than anyone else in the company. They all work for the same goal.

I usually thought that the people who bring the money in should be compensated monetarily more than those who simply manage it, which should mainly receive greater benefits. They are the face of the company after all.

White collar should be less wages more benefits.
Blue collar should be more wages less benefits.

It currently is white collar has more wages and more benefits.
Blue collar gets screwed.

And specifically:

Do you honestly think the people in each franchise flipping burgers are bringing in any money or customers? Or that they are a face McDonald's cares about?

In the real world, McDonald's gets to make it's own decisions on the value of employees and the values of the company as a whole. I already went into it:

Some jobs are meant to have a high turn around for employees. If you're stuck in one of these jobs for 10 years, then it sucks to be you. They've clearly shown they don't value loyalty and that's their prerogative.

"Employees are disposable" and "the customers will come anyway" is what McDonald's message is.

I'm not saying I agree with it 100% but it's not McDonald's obligation to do any more than it is.

#30 SierraSonic

SierraSonic

SierraSonic

• 964 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 18:34

In the real world, McDonald's gets to make it's own decisions on the value of employees and the values of the company as a whole. I already went into it:

"Employees are disposable" and "the customers will come anyway" is what McDonald's message is.
I'm not saying I agree with it 100% but it's not McDonald's obligation to do any more than it is.

You are spreading the truth, but not your opinion. I am just giving on my opinion to the problem. I just disagree with the truth, and want to make some change.

I think the first step is to not accept this kind of behavior, even passively, by saying it is McDonald's decision, we KNOW that, we want it to change, we are taking steps, even if it's simply by complaining.