Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anyone here Linux Certified?

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Just wanted to know from a job seeking perspective which linux certification holds the most weight or what do you recommend? Also what do you recommend for study materials?

Posted

It all depends on what you want to get into.

http://www.lpi.org/linux-certifications

Posted

Redhat Certs are pretty much what I would be aiming at for the corporate world.  

1 person likes this

Posted

Redhat Certs are pretty much what I would be aiming at for the corporate world.  

This.

Redhat certs are both established and hard enough to pass to actually mean something (ie. no written tests, all hands on exercises).

They have (or had some time ago) online tests to help you determine your level of expertise and get advice about what certificate level you should aim for and what study material/courses you can use.

1 person likes this

Posted

I am very good with Linux, but what would you recommend as far as certifications go for a proper job?

Posted

Are the Linux certification tests open source (can I get a copy of the question pools)?

Posted

Are the Linux certification tests open source (can I get a copy of the question pools)?

I'd doubt it.

Posted

I know that the Redhat exams are under NDA so that you can't get copies of exact questions.  The official RHCSA/RHCSE books will prepare you though.

Posted

In the UK the most beneficial certs are Red Hat although, as always, real world experience trumps certs any day. I have seen many people who certs (not just Linux ones) fail horribly in technical interviews when put in front of a keyboard and told to do X or fix Y. Certs are great if you have the cash but if not I would put all of your efforts into learning Red Hat (CentOS is a perfect replacement as it is binary compatible) and Debian as they are the two, in my experience, mostly used Linux distros in the enterprise.