dust nasa high resolution gale crater

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,575 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:11

Martian dust appears on the surface of a penny in a photo by the Mars Hand Lens Imager aboard NASA's Curiosity rover on October 2. The image of the 1909 coin is at the highest resolution possible for the high-powered camera -- 14 micrometers per pixel (a micrometer is about .000039 inches). The rover touched down on Mars in August 2012 with a mission to explore the Gale Crater, once thought to have hosted flowing water, and find out if that environment was ever habitable.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t5

Attached Images

• penny.JPG

#2 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:17

That's a cool picture.

#3 Ravensky

Ravensky

Neowinian

• 571 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:25

Why is there a penny on mars? O_O  LMAO Just kidding...*whistles*

#4 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,575 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:20

Apparently someone at NASA stored the coin in the Rover at  launch.

#5 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

• 4,898 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:23

So this is where all of NASA's money went.

#6 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 4,115 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:13

Shame American coins, now, feature the ridiculous statement "in god we trust" on them.

Should have stuck with "E pluribus unum".

#7 Rigby

Rigby

Neowinian Senior

• 7,110 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:18

Shame American coins, now, feature the ridiculous statement "in god we trust" on them.

Should have stuck with "E pluribus unum".

E pluribus unum is still on them, but I wish they would take the religious stuff off. I'm still not clear on this photo, is the penny embedded into the Rover? 

Why did they choose a 1909 penny, wouldn't the year the rover was launched make a whole lot more sense?

#8 Phouchg

Phouchg

has stopped responding

• 5,689 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:34

When Martians find the rover together with this coin, they'll think the name of the rover is actually Liberty and was sent over there in 1909 with a Wright Flyer. What a major history cockup. Oh, and that indeed god is all we can trust (to be a complete bumhole, but that's for another story). That much is true. But why there's Rob Downey Jr. on the coin?

#9 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 21,068 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:06

When Martians find the rover together with this coin, they'll think the name of the rover is actually Liberty and was sent over there in 1909 with a Wright Flyer. What a major history cockup. Oh, and that indeed god is all we can trust (to be a complete bumhole, but that's for another story). That much is true. But why there's Rob Downey Jr. on the coin?

Hope you're joking. Robert Downey Jy?

Thats clearly Daniel-Day Lewis! :p

#10 He's Dead Jim

He's Dead Jim

Neowinian Senior

• 2,284 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:15

But for some, God = Dollah

#11 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,097 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 13:24

E pluribus unum is still on them, but I wish they would take the religious stuff off. I'm still not clear on this photo, is the penny embedded into the Rover?

Why did they choose a 1909 penny, wouldn't the year the rover was launched make a whole lot more sense?

The answers to the phrase and the date are the same;

1909 was the first year the Lincoln penny was produced. Crafted by Victor David Brenner it's considered one of the US's best coin designs.

Honoring Lincoln is, of course, a no-brainer. Sending up the first year of the coins issuance without grinding off the phrase just to please some petulant anti-religion folks was as much to honor Brenner's work as Lincoln.

The shale is that the.photo cuts off the coins rim where it meets Lincoln's shoulder. Between the two would be the letters 'VDB', Brenner's initials.

#12 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,977 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 12 October 2013 - 13:29

So this is where all of NASA's money went.

With the government shutdown that penny is about one third of NASA's current budget.  :laugh:

#13 Rigby

Rigby

Neowinian Senior

• 7,110 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 20:46

The answers to the phrase and the date are the same;

1909 was the first year the Lincoln penny was produced. Crafted by Victor David Brenner it's considered one of the US's best coin designs.

Honoring Lincoln is, of course, a no-brainer. Sending up the first year of the coins issuance without grinding off the phrase just to please some petulant anti-religion folks was as much to honor Brenner's work as Lincoln.

The shale is that the.photo cuts off the coins rim where it meets Lincoln's shoulder. Between the two would be the letters 'VDB', Brenner's initials.

No one said anything about grinding it off, that would be stupid. I meant for future coins obviously. Also honoring Lincoln is fine but I don't see what that has to do with the Mars Rover or how anyone is supposed to get the purpose from just an old penny. If the rover were found far in the future the 1909 date would be quite confusing.

#14 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,258 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 12 October 2013 - 20:56

the year 1909 would of course have no meaning to any aliens so...

also it's embedded on the rover and I believe the first picture it took after touchdown was of the penny. I think it's used to calibration to, though they should have better tools for that anyway. 

#15 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 19,097 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 21:37

It's only part of Curiosity's calibtation target, which is very extensive. The penny is circular so it would make various optical aberrations very apparent. It also has fine details, and the team thought it would be cooler than the simple metal disc some puckerbutts would have used.