YouTube getting rid of quality options?

Some time ago, YouTube opted for 240p as default and started switching to HD halfway through the video.

This was 'fixed' by adjusting to 1080 and then rewinding the video again.

Now, I am getting videos without even those controls.

What are these people thinking?

Clicking the gear only has the resize options and sometimes option to turn off captions.

IE10 / W8

No problems here... I see all the options available.

Remember, not all videos have same options...   depends the video programming. Some have all formats, others don't.

For example, some videos have captioning available as long as you enable it..  other videos do not have it which the CC logo is invisible.

Attached Screenshot.

What video... send the link to us and we will see if the options available on our end... if so, then your PC is screwed up, otherwise you may be viewing low res video which means no other formats available for that video.

What video... send the link to us and we will see if the options available on our end... if so, then your PC is screwed up, otherwise you may be viewing low res video which means no other formats available for that video.

About every second video doesn't have it?

YouTube still adjusts resolution eventually - so non-56k resolutions exists.

I just fear youtube is pulling a Netflix - quality options hidden somewhere and no explicit forcing HD.

Now, I am getting videos without even those controls.

What are these people thinking?

Same behavior here.

I don't know what to make of this since I have the quality options in some videos but very rare which is impossible for 10 videos in a row not to have quality options.

I just fear youtube is pulling a Netflix - quality options hidden somewhere and no explicit forcing HD.

It auto-adjusts for resolution and bandwidth, no reason to show the 1080p video if your player can only show a 640x480 image, etc.

If you go fullscreen it tries to do 720/1080 (assuming your connection allows for it)

Give us the link to the video that you have a problem with and we will test it out.

It could be your flash player? Is it outdated? or beta? 

I remember once I installed Flash beta and it seriously messed up all youtube videos...

re-install right flash player, clear cookies, temp etc and see.