Roberto Orci Meeting With CBS For New 'Star Trek' TV Show

In a joyous tweet for Star Trek fans by Sky News reporter Joe Michalczuk shared word that Roberto Orci told him he?s met with CBS to talk about bringing Star Trek back to the small screen.

QEQloeE.png

With Orci taking meetings ? or inquiring about the rights - that would suggest that a new Star Trek TV series ? if greenlit ? would be in the same timeline as the film franchise, when the Enterprise begins its 5-year mission. An series in the rebooted Trek universe would allow CBS to pull a Disney and have a television show based in the same cinematic universe as the films, a la Marvel?s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Orci is, however, loyal to his brands, evidenced by his work on the Transformers Prime animated series which is not in the same universe as Michael Bay?s movies ? which he and writing partner Alex Kurtzman left after two installments. Orci and Kurtzman are busy producers/writers, with Sleepy Hollow starting strong on Fox, Ender?s Game preparing for its theatrical release, and development beginning on a new Van Helsing and a Mummy reboot, not to mention work on the Amazing Spider-Man sequels.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/starkstuff/news/?a=88409

Of course every Trekkie would love it to be set in the original timeline, but as someone who enjoyed SG:U I can accept change.

If it is set in alt timeline then once we are past the new layout it will be interesting to see how the butterfly effect will change history.

Either way it will be good to have it back on TV :)

It would be great if the same cast as the movies was used for a high-budget TV series, which isn't implausible given the background that people like Quinto have in TV. The last thing I would want would be for the characters to be recast for a TV series, as I'd rather they pick a different setting entirely (a l? DS9).

as much as i like the reboot Star Trek movies, i dont want to rewatch the original series (rebooted) as a TV show.. don't these people have the do it all to give us something

original than just reboot shows.. i want a Trek show set after TNG/DS9 era... 

This sounds great! Also, I don't see it as a reboot at all to be honest. I just see it as a alternative timeline while keeping the original stuff canon.

Star Trek Into Darkness Producer Bob Orci has told Sky News that a new TV series could be in the works.

The co-writer of the two recent films says he recently met with the US Network CBS with a view of bringing the 47-year-old franchise back to the small screen.

When pressed on the issue by Sky News, Mr Orci simply said  ?Watch this space.?

http://news.sky.com/story/1154380/star-trek-to-boldly-return-to-tv-screens

As long as they don't do "Star Trek Academy" (90210 in the future :p) which was a rumor shortly after Enterprise got cancelled.

Actually that rumor was going around long before Enterprise even premiered.

I'd certainly be glad to have a new Trek series back on TV, but frankly, I wouldn't watch a rebootverse based series. The movies are good enough mind you, but they haven't delved to deep into the surrounding mythology of the universe much (at all) and I don't really like the way things are set up there compared to the prime universe. So unless they are going to do a prime universe series again (which I'd be very down for) or series based on the rebootverse but not on the Enterprise (some other ship, which wouldn't make much sense really) I'm probably only going to casually watch it.

Also I would have to imagine setting a new show on the new (old) Enterprise with JJ's "look and feel" would be kinda expensive to shoot on a TV show budget, at least beyond the first season or so. Unless they budget it through the roof, and the ratings deliever, it can't be much of a success.

It's not going to be a new (old) TOS. I can't see that happening unless they get the actors to commit to it for a few seasons? I reckon Enterprise had a lot of potential but was done and marketed wrong.. something like that would be welcomed.

• Like 1

I hope this brings back the exploration back to Star Trek. I would like a series to be set on another ship, with new characters... but please, make it a ship-based series with exploration in it.

Well that's what I mean, with the actors and FX involved it would be a major cost for Paramount/CBS to bring it to TV as it is. They could get away with much less if it's set on another ship in the new universe, or just on (a ship) something in the prime universe.

Whether they would also want to take a chance on a prime series is another story altogether. I doubt they'd want to confuse fans from the new movies, but there are probably more people waiting for a prime series on TV, so....I don't know lol

I wonder what happened to that Series they were working on with Michael Dorn for a series where Worf was the captain.

Bryan Fuller's been looking to do the same for awhile now, http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/hannibal-showrunner-bryan-fuller-wants-bring-star-trek-193100078.html

I'm looking forward to a new series but fearful it won't last being the way tv exec handles shows.  Would rather see it on Netflx or Amazon

I wonder what happened to that Series they were working on with Michael Dorn for a series where Worf was the captain.

It was a non starter...  I'm not sure I would have liked a Worf show to be honest.

Related:

"'Star Trek' Writer Roberto Orci Shuts Down Twitter Account After Lashing Out at Fans"

"Why 'Star Trek' Fans Are Wrong and Roberto Orci Is Right (Opinion)"

Also, check out the comments at the end of the second article.

Worf as captain would be an interesting take, but my god we've had that character for close to 30 years already. He's probably tired of it himself. Also, practically every future they've shown in TNG's timeline had the Klingons becoming enemies of the Federation again at some point, so time wise I'd wonder how they would handle that, or if they'd even acknowledge any of that stuff. And they would HAVE to have Martok as Chancellor if not, what's the point of a Worf show?