A monstrous and potentially catastrophic cyclone is taking aim on India, with sustained winds estimated at about 161 mph as of Friday, Tropical Cyclone Phailin intensified rapidly in the Bay of Bengal on Thursday and is now headed for the northeast coast of India. Estimated top sustained winds increased from 65 mph to 155 mph in just 24 hours, according to Dr. Jeff Masters of Weather Underground This is equivalent to a Category 5 hurricane.  Gusts are as high as 195 mph. It?s close to being the strongest storm ever recorded in the Indian Ocean.

"Everything I know as a meteorologist tells me this is the equivalent of a Category 5 hurricane ? among the strongest on earth in 2013. That would mean Phailin could be the strongest cyclone ever measured in the Indian Ocean.? said Eric Holthaus, meteorologist for Quartz.

Officials ordered at least 40,000 coastal villagers to flee their homes Friday, and authorities plan to take another 100,000 people to safer areas before the cyclone hits. The ?effects to the Indian coast ? in terms of surge will be catastrophic, with the potential to erase most houses, crops and infrastructure,? reported WeatherBell meteorologist Ryan Maue on his Twitter account.

more

post-37120-0-15044900-1381585087.jpg

NEW DELHI, Oct. 12 (UPI) -- Typhoon Phailin made landfall Saturday over the Indian port town of Gopalpur in Odisha state, with top sustained winds of 124 mph winds, officials said.

Heavy rains accompanied the storm as it hit Gopalpur shortly after 9 p.m. local time, the Hindustan Times reported.

Phailin has been rated a Category 4 storm on a scale of 1-5. Authorities are not yet sure of the magnitude of damage that can be expected from the storm.

As many as 500,000 left their homes ahead of Phailin making landfall, the BBC reported.

Three people died after trees uprooted by the winds and heavy rains fell on them.

Eighteen fishermen who went to sea two days ago have been rescued by the Indian Coast Guard. Officials warned all boats not to leave port as the typhoon approached.

I hope everyone obeyed the officials and evacuated, there are always the stubborn ones. I experienced a Category 5 hurricane and its NO JOKE. Trees fall like sticks, roofs peeled off like banana skins, concrete structures flatted, boats on land aircraft at the airport ending up looking like a giant kid came through. And there's the possibility of tornadoes within the storm as well. My heart is with these people especially the kids, I had my experience at the age of 9 and it stuck with me.

I am worried sick for people living near the coastline where it's hitting .. hope everyone remains safe .. going by the reports, the typhoon can really intrude into the insides of India as well .. really troubling!

BEHRAMPUR, India ?  India began sorting through miles of wreckage Sunday after Cyclone Phailin roared ashore, flooding towns and villages and destroying tens of thousands of thatch homes, but officials said the country had been spared the widespread loss of life that many had feared.

About 18 hours after the storm -- the strongest to hit India in more than a decade -- made landfall in eastern Orissa state, officials said they knew of only seven fatalities, most of them people killed by falling branches or collapsing buildings in the rains ahead of the cyclone.

The final death toll will almost certainly climb, and parts of the cyclone-battered coast remain isolated by downed communication links and blocked roads. But initial indications are that the government's evacuation of more than 600,000 people saved many lives.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/10/13/at-least-7-killed-thousands-homes-destroyed-as-cyclone-hits-india/?intcmp=latestnews