What's the going rate for keeping a website up to date?

I look after a domain registered in my mother-in-laws name, and I've deployed Joomla to the site. She sends me weekly changes (job postings, changes to existing articles etc...) and I make the changes within a few days. The site is for a business, so she wants me to be able to invoice her for the work, but I don't know what the going rate is.

What would people feel is a sensible amount to charge for such changes? They only take in the region of 15-20mins of my time a week, so it's not like I'm spending all weekend updating the site. Would you charge per change, or an annual fee?

You would need to do it by the hour. A lot of freelance don't go under $25 an hour. Just charge her $25 per change and you should be okay.

I would charge a flat rate of $125 a month to be honest.  Remember, it isn't just about the time, it is a about the knowledge.. However, since she is family, and it doesn't sound like you are doing much of anything outside the realms that is not built into joomla, I would offer to train her on how to do it. 

She had asked for other people on the committee to offer up figures, and the current consensus is ?300 per annum which I feel is fair for the amount of work I put in. She doesn't want to be taught how to update the site (I did ask), so I'll just take the money. It's ?300 I didn't have before so will buy me a nice tout each year like a tablet or slr lens.

She had asked for other people on the committee to offer up figures, and the current consensus is ?300 per annum which I feel is fair for the amount of work I put in. She doesn't want to be taught how to update the site (I did ask), so I'll just take the money. It's ?300 I didn't have before so will buy me a nice tout each year like a tablet or slr lens.

Ok, just be careful with the annual thing.. This is why I don't do business with family.. Let's say she wants you to redesign a logo or customize a theme..  if you try to for it, she may say that it is included in the annual fee. Since this is for a business, make sure there is a contract that states how much that works includes. 

Ok, just be careful with the annual thing.. This is why I don't do business with family.. Let's say she wants you to redesign a logo or customize a theme..  if you try to for it, she may say that it is included in the annual fee. Since this is for a business, make sure there is a contract that states how much that works includes. 

The monthy fee of 300 should only be apply to changes and update to the website itself. Tell her that anything besides that will be cost to project.

The monthy fee of 300 should only be apply to changes and update to the website itself. Tell her that anything besides that will be cost to project.

It'll be ?300 a year, not a month.

I wouldn't go for an annual fee.

It's to easy for them to start abusing it.

I would, like some other suggest, find a reasonable amount per change.

Seems more fair to everyone invloved

It'll be ?300 a year, not a month.

Do it by month. Give her a monthly rate and go from there.

I highly recommend doing it either monthly or per change; annually leaves open too much room for abuse. Personally, I would charge ?20 per hour with a minimum of one hour per change (this is a low family rate). If she is requesting a change every week for ?300 per year than she is only really giving you ?5 per change; that's ridiculously (laughably) low.