137 posts in this topic

Posted

Warning: Video contains disturbing imagery

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnjYrXd9ycA[/media]

A Chicago woman has sued the village of Skokie and one of its police officers, alleging she was seriously injured after being shoved headfirst into a jail cell bench after a drunken driving arrest last winter.

Cassandra Feuerstein, 47, said in a federal lawsuit that the incident required facial reconstructive surgery and the insertion of a titanium plate to "replace the bones that had been shattered."

Source: The Young Turks

Police brutality in the United States has become all too common, with most of the officers responsible never facing any criminal charges or disciplinary action. If this is what they're willing to do whilst they know they're being filmed then you have to wonder what goes on the rest of the time. Something needs to be done.  :no:

Posted

I don't think it was intentional. Looked like an accident to me. 

2 people like this

Posted

Police brutality in the United States has become all too common, with most of the officers responsible never facing any criminal charges or disciplinary action. If this is what they're willing to do whilst they know they're being filmed then you have to wonder what goes on the rest of the time. Something needs to be done.  :no:

Actually things like this are not as common as you make them out to sound, but that is your agenda, so you have to make it sound like this is some epidemic. The issue with the internet is people only post stories like this and they gain international attention. Never posting the millions of positive encounters people have with law enforcement daily. The typically outcome of a situation like this is, 1: The officer will be fired, 2: The department will be sued and pay out a large sum of money. 3: The officer will be civilly sued and receive a judgement against him. All of that will happen, on top of if he is actually charged with anything criminal. His career is ruined, his life may be ruined also, and he deserves it. There are a ton of other men and women that need jobs and are willing to do put their lives on the line for $13-$18 an hour who would not act like this guy, and the department/city/agency doesn't want the law suit, so it's not like this is out of control and people are just doing whatever they want, as your post and the source act like. I've seen this source before and their stories repeat over and over like a broken record.

12 people like this

Posted

Accident or not he shoved her alot harder than he needed to, unnecessary force

2 people like this

Posted

Police brutality in the United States has become all too common, with most of the officers responsible never facing any criminal charges or disciplinary action. 

Proof...

Posted

Intentional if you ask me. She was obviously subdued, hands propped behind her. She was heading with no resistance in to the cell. The cop then shoved her with force in to the cell. Then she tripped, not surprising since she was drinking, and smashed her face. Probably some hot headed cop or some idiot having a bad day. Doesnt make it right and he should be held accountable.

Police brutality in the United States has become all too common,

I don't think it is any more common now that it was years ago. Just more and more things are getting connected to the internet/leaked out every year. So just more things are exposed and now these issues are being publicized.

Posted

This would of never happend if she hadn't got into a car and drive knowing she was still drunk.

8 people like this

Posted

It is amazing how easy it is to skew the results in your favor with the Internet.

For instance, I googled:

police brutality UK

http://police-brutality-uk.co.uk/

UK must have a real issue with police brutality, eh?

Posted

This would of never happend if she hadn't got nto a car and drive knowing she was still drunk. :/

So the cop forceful shove was justified?

Posted

Accident or not he shoved her alot harder than he needed to, unnecessary force

She'd been drinking. Its difficult to gauge how stable they are upright. 

Posted

Easy conviction here, cop should lose his job.  I normally side with them in these cases but this is obviously over the top.  There was no need for the additional shove forward.  The cop knew she was under the influence so motor skills are obviously going to be effected.

Posted

There was no need for that aggressive push, she was already in the cell.

Sure she could have been a pain if he kept guiding her further in but he's just traded a little extra hassle for a whole heap of trouble.

Posted

This would of never happend if she hadn't got into a car and drive knowing she was still drunk.

So you're justifying what the cop did because she was DUI?

Posted

I don't think it is any more common now that it was years ago. Just more and more things are getting connected to the internet/leaked out every year. So just more things are exposed and now these issues are being publicized.

Indeed. Increased reporting and the ease of access to such information thanks to the internet is why there's a perception of increased police brutality.  If anything, there's probably a lot LESS of it than there was back in say, the 1970's.

1 person likes this

Posted

There is no doubt that the shove

Posted

So you're justifying what the cop did because she was DUI?

I was talking about if she hadn't got into her car knowing she was drunk. She would of never end up arrested and slam into a cell bench. By a officer who is haveing a bad day.

Yes I know the officer is in the wrong here for use of force.

Posted

I was talking about if she hadn't got into her car knowing she was drunk. She would of never end up arrested and slam into a cell bench. By a officer who is haveing a bad day.

That's irrelevant.

Posted

We see these stories day in and day out, yet the same simply isn't true of other western countries. 

I've no doubt I can find a lot more if I had the desire...I do not, however.

As mentioned by FloatingFatMan, it is probably less common now than it was before.  It is just more visible now.

Posted

Maybe if she weren't so bloody drunk, and therefore in a state of self-induced instability, she wouldn't have gone down and made it to the bench. Time for the 12 steps.

Posted

fuck the police, but i feel joy hearing a drunk driver got their face smashed.

1 person likes this

Posted

Maybe if she weren't so bloody drunk, and therefore in a state of self-induced instability, she wouldn't have gone down and made it to the bench. Time for the 12 steps.

Blaming the victim is the lowest of the low.  :no:

Posted

There is no doubt that the shove

Posted

It is amazing how easy it is to skew the results in your favor with the Internet.

For instance, I googled:

police brutality UK

UK must have a real issue with police brutality, eh?

You Googled for police brutality in the UK and you got a site for it.

Your point being?

1 person likes this

Posted

The point is that the pot vs kettle thing.

Posted

I've no doubt I can find a lot more if I had the desire...I do not, however.

As mentioned by FloatingFatMan, it is probably less common now than it was before.  It is just more visible now.

Did you actually look at that site before you posted it? Here are some of the examples of police brutality:

• Armed police stop on double yellow lines to grab a coffee
  • Inspector
1 person likes this