Photo

How to find MS Win 8 Product Key in UEFI?

win8

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jimboh1

jimboh1

Happy to be Here

Posted 14 October 2013 - 21:17

Hi-

I have a PC running 8 64- bit (pre-loaded) on a UEFI MB; a few days ago I had to hard restart it after I let it sleep for a few hours and it wouldn't wake up.

At first there was no signs of life (other than power); wouldn't turn on the monitor.

I removed my aftermarket video card and tried again with the built- in graphics.

Win 8 tried "Automatic Repair" and said it couldn't, and that the logfile @ "c:\windows\system32\logfiles\srt\srttrail.txt" would be of help.

Through a command prompt I went there and got some info:

BOOT Manager failed to find OS Loader

Repair Action= File Repair

Error code= 0x4001

Repair Action= Boot Conf data store repair

Error code= 0x2

I've tried everything that I can think of to fix this with no success; can anyone tell me how to find my Product Key for Win 8, that I believe is baked into UEFI/ BIOS so that I can D/L or access the correct Win 8 .iso to try repairing this boot issue like that? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

TIA,

Jim

#2 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 14 October 2013 - 21:31

Did the system come with a recovery partition or a DVD [or the option to buy]?

As for the registration serial its entered automatically from the bios provided the Windows version hasnt been upgraded.

#3 OP jimboh1

jimboh1

Happy to be Here

Posted 14 October 2013 - 21:37

I booted to a Ubuntu live disk and believe that there is a recovery partition, but may be for Windows RE only- should I try going into that partition, and see what I can find in there as far as a Product Key goes? Is there a file on C:\ that lists the Product Key I wonder?

J

#4 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

Posted 14 October 2013 - 21:39

Have you followed the manufacturers details for recovering the system,be aware you may lose all personal data if you do a recovery?

The install key on windows 8 is different to that held in the bios and is normally encrypted.

#5 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:04

If you are using an iso to clean install it automatically picks it up during setup. No need to know it before hand. Now if you are going to install windows 8.1 you will need to use a generic product key to pass the installer and then you can activate if you know the key before hand. Lets say you are going to install windows 8.1 to a blank drive? Just install a program called rweverything . It allows you to see the settings in the bios/uefi for the product key.

#6 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:51

If you are using an iso to clean install it automatically picks it up during setup. No need to know it before hand. Now if you are going to install windows 8.1 you will need to use a generic product key to pass the installer and then you can activate if you know the key before hand. Lets say you are going to install windows 8.1 to a blank drive? Just install a program called rweverything . It allows you to see the settings in the bios/uefi for the product key.

Have a link for that?

#7 alpha2beta

alpha2beta

Neowinian

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:52

Use RW-Everything

http://forums.mydigi...ing-Latest-News

#8 +goretsky

goretsky

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:32

Hello,

Some articles about the process:

Windows 8 verification causing problems for PC makers?

Windows 8 OEM Activation 3.0 (OA 3.0)

Windows 8 to Feature New OEM Activation Method

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!