massachusetts classmate zero tolerance sobriety lawsuit

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,032 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:21

When Massachusetts high school senior Erin Cox went to pick up an intoxicated classmate from a party, she thought she was doing the right thing. However, administrators at North Andover High School are punishing her for the deed, citing the school’s zero tolerance policy on drugs on alcohol. :wacko:

Cox, an honor student and volleyball star, received a cell phone message from an intoxicated friend asking for a ride home from a party earlier this month, according to the Boston Herald. However, Cox arrived at the party at the same time as the police, who were arresting a slew of students for underage drinking.

While Cox was cleared by police who recognized her sobriety, her school has given her a harsh punishment. The 17-year-old was stripped of her title as captain of the volleyball team, and she was suspended from five games.

“But I wasn’t drinking,” Cox told the Boston Herald. “And I felt like going to get her was the right thing to do. Saving her from getting in the car when she was intoxicated and hurt herself or getting in the car with someone else who was drinking. I’d give her a ride home.”

The Cox family filed a lawsuit against the school on Friday in an attempt to get officials to reverse the punishment. However, the district court judge ruled the court did not have jurisdiction over the issue, local station WBZ-TV reports.

“If a kid asks for help from a friend, you don’t want that kid to say ‘I’m sorry I can’t help you. I might end up in trouble at school,’” Cox family attorney Wendy Murphy told the outlet.

The Cox family is now hoping that pressure from supporters will persuade school officials to reverse their decision.

more

#2 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,907 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:25

I hate moronic officials like this, despite pointing out she has nothing to with alcohol or drugs they'll just stock their fingers in their ears and say "lalalalala zero tolerance lalalalala"

Being cleared by the police isn't even seen as enough. 

#3 webeagle12

webeagle12

Neowinian Senior

• 7,229 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:26

Only in 'mericahhhhh

#4 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,032 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:32

We really need a good house cleaning of these idiots who are running our schools.

#5 thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

• 2,289 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:36

Some schools are ridiculous.

#6 Mandosis

Mandosis

Je'daii Ranger

• 398 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:41

A kid that went to the high school i did had gotten back from feeding homeless people and the police were there searching every car that came into the parking. He had a shotgun shell in his car from hunting but no guns or any other full shells and was suspended indefinitely so they could figure out what else to do until his family filed a law suite against the school and the school backed down. He was a straight A student as well.

#7 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• 3,650 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:42

Zero tolerance is zero intelligence. Our public schools have become pathetic beyond the point of satire.

#8 zhangm

zhangm

Just bitter.

• 9,810 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:49

Rules so people don't have to think.

#9 stevew25

stevew25

Neowinian

• 9 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:04

Sometimes doing the right thing does come with consequences.  In this case, the consequences are minor compared to possibly saving lives.  If I was that teen I would feel good in knowing I did the correct thing. 

#10 Ice_Blue

Ice_Blue

Neowinian

• 1,284 posts
  • Phone: Nokia N8 Belle

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:10

God created idiots.

That was for practice.

Then he created school boards.

- Mark Twain

#11 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,311 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:19

We really need a good house cleaning of these idiots who are running our schools.

School administration is where the ######ed up people with authority issues go that can't get jobs elsewhere.

#12 Nogib

Nogib

Neowinian

• 566 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:27

While it sucks that the school was stupid she should get over it.  In the real world no one is going to give to ###### whether you were captain of a high school volleyball team or not.

#13 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,311 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:40

While it sucks that the school was stupid she should get over it.  In the real world no one is going to give to ****s whether you were captain of a high school volleyball team or not.

Ever heard of sports scholarships? That kind of stuff does matter.

#14 Gerowen

Gerowen

Neowinian Senior

• 3,376 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:55

Oh well, it's not like being captain of the volleyball team counts in real life.  Just goes to show how petty some public school officials are getting.  Personally, I'm getting tired of hearing about kids being punished for everything from wearing NRA t-shirts to giving drunk friends a ride home, but I'm not sure how you would tackle an issue like "pettiness", unless maybe you made a commercial telling school officials to stop being little bitches.

Hope this girl gets everything corrected in her favor, it's really kind of nonsense that they're punishing her for trying to do the right thing.

#15 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• 1,893 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:03

Not choosing the side of the school, but couldn't it be that schools act this silly because in the past they got sued by parents for silly things like this.

Kids drink booze during lunch and get caught by the cops, parents sue the school for not looking after the kids better, now you end up with stupid rules like this.

Wouldn't surprise me, they are sue happy in the USA, it's a different culture all together.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!