• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,773 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:43

ummm, how would multiple references from the tenant fix this ?

#17 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,928 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:44

Japan

Not quite, that's extreme nationalism, not quite the same, though similar. 

Please elaborate.

#18 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

• 2,906 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:53

They didn't pass that law until 2010?  :s

#19 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,773 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:54

Japanese are xenophobic to the extreme.

but that can be said for a lot of nations in that area. 

#20 nub

nub

Neowinian Senior

• 2,899 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:02

Wow, this forum is racist.

#21 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

• 4,456 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:06

I agree.

But there are many white groups in this area, who will steal, vandalize, use constant foul language, be rude to people, careless with their smoking, druggies, etc.

After a while of being around such people, you tend to think they are 'all' like that -- and I would not want to rent to such people, reguardless of race.

everyone hates chavs.

#22 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• 9,319 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:12

When my parents were selling a house in Sutton, Ontario, Canada - the neighbours begged them to sell the property to anyone but the Chinese.

#23 Deleted Bye

Deleted Bye

Neowinian Senior

• 3,781 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:12

i would suggest they are NOT being denied for being black, but rather the majority of the people that are applying and not being qualified enough just happen to be black....

#24 +zhiVago

zhiVago

Pax Orbis

• 9,319 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:20

To be honest, I find the fact that the act was enacted in 2010 to be more offensive.

They didn't pass that law until 2010?  :s

It's an amalgamation and the most recent revision of the acts enacted in the past, such as: the Equal Pay Act 1970, the Sex Discrimination Act 1975, the Race Relations Act 1976, the Disability Discrimination Act 1995

#25 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,928 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:22

Japanese are xenophobic to the extreme.

but that can be said for a lot of nations in that area. 

And that is coming from personal experience, is it?

#26 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,773 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:30

i would suggest they are NOT being denied for being black, but rather the majority of the people that are applying and not being qualified enough just happen to be black....

Maybe if you read the article ?

#27 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,939 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:36

ummm, how would multiple references from the tenant fix this ?

Prospective tenant, and it lets you check up on whether they're a good tenant or not. Whether they paid their rent on time and didn't cause any property damage or disruptions to the neighbours.

Personally, I couldn't care less if a tenant of mine were white, blank, yellow, red, pink, green or purple with orange polka dots and 2 heads.  As long as they're a good tenant, it's fine.

#28 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,773 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:39

Prospective tenant, and it lets you check up on whether they're a good tenant or not. Whether they paid their rent on time and didn't cause any property damage or disruptions to the neighbours.

Personally, I couldn't care less if a tenant of mine were white, blank, yellow, red, pink, green or purple with orange polka dots and 2 heads.  As long as they're a good tenant, it's fine.

Yeah, but the issue here is the other way around. that blacks aren't being allowed to rent, 

#29 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,939 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:44

Yeah, but the issue here is the other way around. that blacks aren't being allowed to rent, 

Sure, I know what the story is about. My point is, the only valid reason for NOT letting someone rent is either lack of references, or poor references.  Anything else is BS.

#30 OP theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,496 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:51

It's not racism when you're discriminating against different subsets of culture. I wouldn't rent to white trash baby popping druggies as I would try to avoid renting to other groups of people from other races for the same reason. 

But that's not what this topic is about. In this case people are being discriminated against based on the colour of their skin, as evidenced by the fact a black BBC reporter asked to view these properties and was refused while his white colleague was welcomed.

Sure, why not. It's their property, let them do what they want with it.

I found it outrageous that you think it's okay for landlords / letting agents to discriminate against all white people because of chavs. That's exactly what the Equality Act 2010 is designed to prevent.

You clearly didn't read the article:

All 10 were recorded on secret camera saying they would be prepared not to show the flat to African-Caribbean people - and many detailed how they had done it before.

The lettings manager at A to Z Property Services, in Dollis Hill, said: "We cannot be shown discriminating against a community. But obviously we've got our ways around that."

That is clearly against the law, as people are being discriminated against because of their race and not their character.