• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 richstad

richstad

Mr

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:35

Hi all

Could you please help me?

I have W8 on my laptop, I will get W8.1 from the store. Will this download from the store be a full version (aaaargh), or an update based on what you have on your machine?

Cheers

rich

#2 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:39

It's an update, although like most service packs type updates, the size is pretty much static.

It should leave all of your files and folders intact, as with your settings and programs :)

#3 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:52

It's an update, although like most service packs type updates, the size is pretty much static.

It should leave all of your files and folders intact, as with your settings and programs :)

Wrong. This installs a whole new OS. Which is why you should not do this as an upgrade. You need to do a clean install. Basically any drivers that are currently install get set to the Microsoft defaults. Clean install is preferred because you don't want the problems of the previous OS creeping into the new install. Yeah its a pain but if you make an image afterwards you only have to do it once.

#4 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:59

Wrong. This installs a whole new OS. Which is why you should not do this as an upgrade. You need to do a clean install. Basically any drivers that are currently install get set to the Microsoft defaults. Clean install is preferred because you don't want the problems of the previous OS creeping into the new install. Yeah its a pain but if you make an image afterwards you only have to do it once.

Where did you get this info?

#5 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.10.14203.306

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:59

Thankfully what will happen, is by installing the "app" from the store you are turning on the update functionality for Windows 8.1 and it will install like any Service pack for windows prior. Just an additional update. It wont wipe anything, you wont lose, anything.

#6 ]SK[

]SK[

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:04

I prefer the idea of a clean slate so I wiped and install 8.1 from fresh.

#7 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:05

Um. What!? 

#8 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:12

Where did you get this info?

I have done it with the preview version just to test it, and this is the default behavior of all windows upgrades since Vista.

#9 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:18

Thankfully what will happen, is by installing the "app" from the store you are turning on the update functionality for Windows 8.1 and it will install like any Service pack for windows prior. Just an additional update. It wont wipe anything, you wont lose, anything.

Stop saying its a service pack. Its not. Like I said before it installs a whole new OS.

#10 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:26

Well, that's just wrong.

My graphics drivers and audio drivers both stayed as is. I did an update from 8 to 8.1 from a technet image I have.

Furthermore, it only requires a clean install if you are using the preview version. The install from the Store will be an in place upgrade much like a service pack. Microsoft are specifically avoiding calling it that and are instead calling it "an upgrade". It is however, for all intents and purposes, a service pack.

Lastly, there has never been a deployment like this in the past, so pointing out it's been like this since Vista is just blatantly wrong.

Now can you please go back to the hole from whence you emerged so we can go back to not spreading FUD..

#11 Vinylchan

Vinylchan

Han shot first!

• Phone: Android 2.3.2

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:29

I have done it with the preview version just to test it, and this is the default behavior of all windows upgrades since Vista.

*Laughs uncontrollably*

#12 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:34

*Laughs uncontrollably*

I just love that rather than saying he had seen something different, he came out swinging.. and was wrong..

#13 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:36

Well, that's just wrong.

My graphics drivers and audio drivers both stayed as is. I did an update from 8 to 8.1 from a technet image I have.

Furthermore, it only requires a clean install if you are using the preview version. The install from the Store will be an in place upgrade much like a service pack. Microsoft are specifically avoiding calling it that and are instead calling it "an upgrade". It is however, for all intents and purposes, a service pack.

Lastly, there has never been a deployment like this in the past, so pointing out it's been like this since Vista is just blatantly wrong.

Now can you please go back to the hole from whence you emerged so we can go back to not spreading FUD..

So you are saying that if you start the install of say windows 7 from inside of vista as an upgrade that it does not do this? You need to do more installs. I never said you download Windows 7 from a store. Its just like running the installer from inside the OS thats what I am saying. As for as the drivers part you either had the default microsoft drivers installed already or you have a super old video card. I just know for windows 8.1 the driver model for video has changed. I know when I tested the preview to see if it ran like an upgrade all my drivers got reset to the defaults.

#14 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:38

Ok then smart asses, who here has done the preview from the store as an upgrade? Did it not fold your old windows install into a folder called Windows.old? I know you remember seeing this. This proves my point about it installing a whole new OS.

#15 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Phone: Android

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:38

So you are saying that if you start the install of say windows 7 from inside of vista as an upgrade that it does not do this? You need to do more installs. I never said you download Windows 7 from a store. Its just like running the installer from inside the OS thats what I am saying. As for as the drivers part you either had the default microsoft drivers installed already or you have a super old video card. I just know for windows 8.1 the driver model for video has changed. I know when I tested the preview to see if it ran like an upgrade all my drivers got reset to the defaults.

Just please SHHHHHHH

You're just wrong, admit it and move on, MS already said it would be an upgrade from the store and no settings would be touched