win8.1 win8

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#46 Jeston

Jeston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 16 October 2013 - 20:35

Uh, I upgraded my fairly old Windows 8 (installed when 8 went RTM) installation to 8.1 using my Technet ISO when it came out and it didn't create a Windows.old folder. None of my stuff was touched and I didn't need to reinstall anything. Just pretty much installed like an update... Not that I'm saying it is just an update, but it certainly installs like one. I don't know what anyone did differently to cause it to create Windows.old, but it definitely didn't do that for me.

P.S. I'm usually one who clean installs with new OSes, but I have had literally zero issues with this as an upgrade.

My advice: install as an upgrade and see how it goes. If something gets broken along the way, do a clean instead. No reason not to try. I know your important things are backed up already anyway ;)

#47 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:03

Lots of confusion. So is there a final answer yet whether it's a Service-Pack-like install process or a major-version-upgrade-like process?

Also, anyone know if there'll be an official source to get the Win8.1 ISO for future fresh installs?

#48 BoDEAN

BoDEAN

REDHead

• Phone: Iphone

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:11

I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 RTM.  I also installed the GA Rollup (3 KB patches).  Works great

#49 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:34

I hacked-installed 8.1 update and do NOT recommend it. I of course also did the 'upgrade' from windows 7 install.. Everything got botched from 8 - 8.1, BSOD's left and right. specifically kernel_data_inpage_error, but also critical_process_died, and sometimes hex codes. All over the map with 20 min uptime before crashing. The problem was bad drivers and the fix was updated drivers... Due to it being sloppy and my drive 90% full I did a complete reinstall, and heres how.

1) backup everything important. export bookmarks, emails, configuration/setting files, take screenshots of confusing network shares, etc. You'll be starting fresh.

2 - optional) Refresh your PC without affecting your files. This will basically work like reinstalling windows over itself, except more intelligent as it will hash the install files to your HDD files and overwrite those which don't match - like 4 min on my SSD. The key is it generates a list of what was installed before wiping it. Once complete, log back in and copy the HTML list it generated of your now uninstalled programs to a USB/network share/DVD or whatever. this seemed quicker than any other method I could find to know what I should reinstall. It left a bunch of crap all over the C drive, so I carried on.

3) remove everything and reinstall windows. Pretty self-explainatory. It will ensure windows 8.1 is how it should be. it cleaned up my C: folder and booted into a 'from factory' boot when you first get windows 8. If this step or optional 2 says your missing files you need to pop in the full install, but upgraders should find the install.wim on the install/update media you hopefully made (USB/CD/ISO) and copy it to c:\refreshimage and then use command prompt to set the image so windows can refresh and restore from it. Google should help.

4) reinstall Windows 8 updated drivers for your devices. You can leave the MS ones there, but you only get basic functionality. ensure device manager has no question marks or exclaimation points. I had to go to properties and hardware ID and search the line on google to find the correct drivers for some. I was using windows 7 packages thinking they were 'good enough', was I wrong.

5) I'd suggest making a restore image at this point so you can always start here again.

#50 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 WP8.1U1 Black

Posted 17 October 2013 - 02:46

clean-installs are generally now only used for when there's a ton of crap you don't want on your computer, but upgrades should work fine as it does almost the same thing you would do manually in a clean-install if you plan on re-installing everything you had

#51 tkaw220

tkaw220

Neowinian

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:08

I purchased the digital version from Microsoft early this year. Would I be able to download the full 8.1 installer from the purchase email after 18-Oct? Or I must download the upgrade from Store?

#52 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:31

Upgrade. I'm going to be really damn disappointed if Microsoft can't get an upgrade to work.

#53 Stoffel

Stoffel

Being on the ocean is cooler then being in front of a Computer

• Phone: WP 8.1 Update

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:42

From what I understand the only way to get the upgrade is to download it from the store if you want it free.

They are not releasing a ISO file for you, unless you have a subscription to TechNet or MSDN.

Which sucks big time because I want to upgrade 2 pc's and have a very slow internet connection.

So, can anybody please prove me wrong :)

Does anybody know if when you go through the store it will actually just let you download the file or will you have no clue as of how it got installed on your pc

#54 tkaw220

tkaw220

Neowinian

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:52

From what I understand the only way to get the upgrade is to download it from the store if you want it free.

They are not releasing a ISO file for you, unless you have a subscription to TechNet or MSDN.

Which sucks big time because I want to upgrade 2 pc's and have a very slow internet connection.

So, can anybody please prove me wrong :)

Does anybody know if when you go through the store it will actually just let you download the file or will you have no clue as of how it got installed on your pc

Oh, this upset me. I was prepare to do a clean installation. Hate to install Windows 8 and then upgrade from the Store. Never like the idea of installing old files and then replace them with new patches. Silly.

#55 tdrock

tdrock

Neowinian

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:44

is anyone seeing the update in the store?

I am in Canada and no update.

#56 Gotenks98

Gotenks98

Neowinian

Posted 18 October 2013 - 13:11

Gotenks98 is right. It's really amusing how all of you just assume that it's a service pack and then attack him without having any evidence to back it up.

The Store upgrade is essentially an in-place OS upgrade. It is NOT a service pack. A service pack just installs (a lot of) new packages to WinSxS. The Store upgrade installs a new OS, moves the old OS to Windows.old, and then performs a migration of user profiles, installed programs, and the registry.

How do I know this? Because I tried the in-store upgrade with the Preview. "But that's just the preview!" Why on Earth would Microsoft do one thing for the Preview and then do something radically different for RTM? That defeats the whole purpose of the Preview, which is to test this sort of (unprecedented) deployment method. If they completely throw that under the bus, they'll need another round of beta testing to make sure that it all works. And if this was just a service pack, why not deploy it like a service pack via Windows Update? This update is like a service pack only with respect to timing and pricing. The scope of the update is far larger than that of a SP, and the deployment is very much like that of a traditional in-place upgrade.

But hey, don't take my word for it. Try it out for yourself! Throw 6.2 onto a VM, do the Store upgrade to 6.3, and tell me what happens. Oh, and did you notice that the stuff downloaded by the Store upgrade contains things like a huge WIM file?

Edit: And to answer the original question, I'm clean-installing all my systems because I saw how icky the install process was back when I tried the Store upgrade for Preview in my VM (this is what VMs are for, guys, for testing deployments so that you don't have to ask questions like this in a forum--you don't have to activate or anything if all you're testing is what the installation process looks like). But that's all a matter of personal opinion. If you had no problems with in-placing 7 to 8, then you shouldn't have many qualms about in-placing 8 to 8.1.

Thanks, I really appreciate this post. I do not always have the best way of explaining things online but you said it better than I ever could have. Overall my posting was more so to warn about the dangers of upgrade install vs clean install nothing more. I have seen a lot of bad upgrades in my time which is why I religiously do clean installs now. I would rather have the piece of mind than to have the possibility of saving time (provided the upgrade didn't bork anything). At that point in time I can create an image to restore to at a later point in time and I know its problem free.