Xbox One is built for the future

Do you understand the difference between, real time "replay" and a recording ? and never did I say the PS4 didn't do the same thing or close to it either. of course FRAPS isn't using a special video encoding CPU to encode the video with zero impact. but, sure it's better than it used to be, still sucks a lot of juice from your gaming.  I'm not interested in recording my own games, much less watching anyone elses recorded gameplay anyway. 

Some replays are recordings.  I have seen a few cases where the game with record clips automatically when X number of Characters are on screen, or Y acceleration meets Z acceleration.  

While no, they don't use a dedicated cpu for the encoding/recording process it has/is done.

It does when his sole purpose was to incite flaming and trolling metro. since the GUI itself had absolutely ZERO to do with the topic. or can you give me a valid reason what his opinion of Metro has to do with the console being built for the future... no ? that's because he was trolling. 

Part of building for the future is building an interface that will last that long.  I personally don't like metro and couldn't see using it for that long without getting frustrated or annoyed.  I also know that Windows 8 had issues with the start screen becoming cluttered very easily as more programs got installed.  I don't think that metro scales well at all.

It does when his sole purpose was to incite flaming and trolling metro. since the GUI itself had absolutely ZERO to do with the topic. or can you give me a valid reason what his opinion of Metro has to do with the console being built for the future... no ? that's because he was trolling. 

Uhh.... that's exactly what this topic is about... Did you even look at the OP?

Here, I won't hide it. The UI sucks, just like it does on Windows 8. Granted it is much better on a console than it is in Windows 8, but it's still crap just like it has been since they first introduced it on the 360. While the blade UI was definitely dated, I far preferred it over the Metro look. I owned an original Xbox and a 360, never owned a Playstation, but I will when the PS4 comes out. No X1 for me, but that's mostly because of the pointless redundant features for me when I have a full computer plugged into all of my TVs, and less about the UI since I only see that for a few seconds while I launch my game. Stop crying every time someone says they don't like the UI. Your opinion isn't the final say for the world. Though it is funny watching you get so upset.

Cloud is a marketing term for servers.  Unless you manage to host data inside water droplets thousands of feet above earth..  all mmo's use "Cloud" for storage.  All user info is stored in databases, or games are controlled via remote servers.  The cloud is just an easy term for people to understand without needing to know the details.

Any game with a server portion, or a server that records and uses the data could be considered in the cloud.

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why this is a bad thing?  I mean the original comment is to imply that consoles using the cloud is something bad or that because pcs also use the cloud, it means some minus for consoles.

While I agree on the NSA thing.. the kinect is just that. It is a camera.. that can transfer video over the internet.. and has built in microphones. It's the same concept as: "You can teach a duck to bark.. but it's still a duck" Just because the kinect does motion tracking it still has the features of a webcam and mic setup.

If you buy a web cam and a mic, you will not have the same experience as Kinect or the ps4 Eye. The reason Kinect or the ps4 eye is different is thanks to how they combine various tech into one package. From IR blasters to multi-array mics or the software side that brings all of the hardware into something useful for developers, its different. Why else would Kinect be used on pcs if it was just a web cam and mic?

I just think its silly to try and pan these technologies. These things aren't brand new, original ideas, but they do represent an evolution in how the tech is used.

So MS recording every action all the time isn't something special. Pretty sure sony is doing the same thing with the PS4. Also fraps has gotten a lot better, and as the hardware improves the game preformance loss is getting smaller and smaller.

But now wait a second, this argument wasn't comparing the ps4 and the x1, it was an attempt to compare against a pc. This is yet another example of a feature that has been on the pc for year, finally coming to both consoles in a way that is easier to do for the average user. For some reason, people just want to dump on these features as if they make the pc look bad or something. Consoles are all about convenient access to features and the X1 and PS4 have shown that they will provide easy access to features that have been around in other forms on the pc.

Different strokes for different folks, I like watching video reviews, and guides. I find them easier to follow than text.

I agree, I much prefer video than text for that stuff. Did you see the Machinima announcement yesterday? They are pushing an app to the X1 that will give gamers access to video guides, etc that pertain to the particular game you happen to be running at the time. It snaps to the side and you can view videos there or go full screen, which pauses the game automatically. That's the kind of evolution in features that I like to see in the next gen consoles.

Part of building for the future is building an interface that will last that long.  I personally don't like metro and couldn't see using it for that long without getting frustrated or annoyed.  I also know that Windows 8 had issues with the start screen becoming cluttered very easily as more programs got installed.  I don't think that metro scales well at all.

Well 8.1 offers a bunch of fixes, including those related to scaling and customizing things like tiles sizes. The X1 OS will of course pick up any of the Metro improvements. The UI is customizable and clutter is handled much better now. I'm not sure how much of this is pushed to the X1, but we will see.

You bring up a good point though, you illustrate how hard it is to provide one UI that everyone loves. You prefer the XMB style and how the ps4 UI looks so far. On the other hand, others prefer the X1 style. Personally, I lean towards a UI that has more visual flare/style/cues that is serving content on my TV. That's why I happen to like how the X1 UI over the PS4. Not that a UI would keep me from buying a console, but if I had to pick a favorite, that would be it.

So when you talk about building for the future, its a subjective question. In your eyes, the XMB style is the future, while others see the Metro style as the future. There is not a single answer, just the reality that we have choices in the market precisely because we have a wide range of tastes to cater to.

Uhh.... that's exactly what this topic is about... Did you even look at the OP?

Here, I won't hide it. The UI sucks, just like it does on Windows 8. Granted it is much better on a console than it is in Windows 8, but it's still crap just like it has been since they first introduced it on the 360. While the blade UI was definitely dated, I far preferred it over the Metro look. I owned an original Xbox and a 360, never owned a Playstation, but I will when the PS4 comes out. No X1 for me, but that's mostly because of the pointless redundant features for me when I have a full computer plugged into all of my TVs, and less about the UI since I only see that for a few seconds while I launch my game. Stop crying every time someone says they don't like the UI. Your opinion isn't the final say for the world. Though it is funny watching you get so upset.

I wish everyone would remember that their opinion on how a UI looks is not the final say for the world. If there was a single UI that pleased everyone, we wouldn't have anything to criticize.

So basically, you chose the PS4 because you prefer its game lineup right? I mean the ps4 is offering a lot of the same features that you would find redundant, so it must be the games and/or the hardware advantage. As you said, you aren't avoiding the X1 because of its UI.

I know I'm basing my first console choice on game lineup due to the fact that most of the other features that the two consoles offer do the same thing with some minor differences.

I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why this is a bad thing?  I mean the original comment is to imply that consoles using the cloud is something bad or that because pcs also use the cloud, it means some minus for consoles.

The point was that the "cloud" and the Xbox Ones use for it is something that we have never seen before.  Something never used in PC Games, something unique and special.  When in reality it isn't.  It will be used for data mining, or other online aspects used in many PC games.  I am not saying it is a minus, or that it is a bad decision.   The point was that it has been done for a long time on PC's whereas Hawk was giving the impression it hadn't.

If you buy a web cam and a mic, you will not have the same experience as Kinect or the ps4 Eye. The reason Kinect or the ps4 eye is different is thanks to how they combine various tech into one package. From IR blasters to multi-array mics or the software side that brings all of the hardware into something useful for developers, its different. Why else would Kinect be used on pcs if it was just a web cam and mic?

I agree with you that it does more than a Webcam and Mic.  However it does contain both of those, so to say it can't be used as one is false.  It has video capture and audio capture which is what I think the poster who brought it up was meaning.

I just think its silly to try and pan these technologies. These things aren't brand new, original ideas, but they do represent an evolution in how the tech is used.

It is, however for something to be innovative it has to be done in a way we have never seen it done before.  As the One takes a lot of it's design and implementation from the PC world.. it isn't a stretch to compare the two.

But now wait a second, this argument wasn't comparing the ps4 and the x1, it was an attempt to compare against a pc. This is yet another example of a feature that has been on the pc for year, finally coming to both consoles in a way that is easier to do for the average user. For some reason, people just want to dump on these features as if they make the pc look bad or something. Consoles are all about convenient access to features and the X1 and PS4 have shown that they will provide easy access to features that have been around in other forms on the pc.

Again, the point wasn't to compare PS4 and the One, but to say: It's not new, bundling features that a computer has had for a long time doesn't make something future proof.   The point is that all of these innovations, additions, changes, etc are to make it future proof.   However like hardware and operating systems on computers.. they become obsolete.  So taking things computers already do, and claiming them future proof isn't the case.

I agree, I much prefer video than text for that stuff. Did you see the Machinima announcement yesterday? They are pushing an app to the X1 that will give gamers access to video guides, etc that pertain to the particular game you happen to be running at the time. It snaps to the side and you can view videos there or go full screen, which pauses the game automatically. That's the kind of evolution in features that I like to see in the next gen consoles.

Didn't see that, however that is pretty cool for sure.

Well 8.1 offers a bunch of fixes, including those related to scaling and customizing things like tiles sizes. The X1 OS will of course pick up any of the Metro improvements. The UI is customizable and clutter is handled much better now. I'm not sure how much of this is pushed to the X1, but we will see.

You bring up a good point though, you illustrate how hard it is to provide one UI that everyone loves. You prefer the XMB style and how the ps4 UI looks so far. On the other hand, others prefer the X1 style. Personally, I lean towards a UI that has more visual flare/style/cues that is serving content on my TV. That's why I happen to like how the X1 UI over the PS4. Not that a UI would keep me from buying a console, but if I had to pick a favorite, that would be it.

So when you talk about building for the future, its a subjective question. In your eyes, the XMB style is the future, while others see the Metro style as the future. There is not a single answer, just the reality that we have choices in the market precisely because we have a wide range of tastes to cater to.

Yes, what person A sees as future proof, person B sees as in the past.  Everyone will have a different opinion, which is why bold statements like "Xbox one is built for the future" is purely personal opinion.  I see it as becoming dated very quickly, both in feature sets, and ui.

.Guess ill have to wait till release day. Its going to be this or ps4 or steambox.

Both of which will undoubtedly have media and other services..  i laugh inside a little bit reading your posts as if people are supposed to be buying dedicated devices these days.  The beauty of X1 is "ONE" device to do it all..   i guess the marketing doesn't work with you but at the same time, you think that Sony and steambox won't do the same "one" device aspect?

Xbox One looks Future Proof to me

Good games for launch = check

Amazing games around the corner from launch = check

Dedicated Resources for Games = check

Dedicated Resources for Apps = check

OS for games = check

OS for Apps/Media = check

HDMI In/Out (Never know what the future holds  :D) = check

Wifi Direct = Check

Designed to be on 24/7 and on the Cloud,Web,Dedicated Server (whatever you want to call it) = check

Kinect (call it whatever you want, but NO webcam is doing it like Kinect v2) and good thing we got 10yrs to see it grow = check

300K Azure Servers (and thats just for launch) = Check

And to the people who say dedicated server have been around for years.. guess what, you are correct...  And to those people, Azure is breathing new life into that old dinosaur method...  

Yep.... Looking pretty future proof to me... 

Metro isn't about scaling, its about simplifying.  It's about presenting things in an organized interface/view so that you can see them visually and that they are appealing.

BTW, Windows 8.1 which is GA today lets you use ultra small icons and you can fit a zillion of them in a single screen as to not have to scroll anywhere and the screen becomes much less cluttered when you just pin apps that you use and sort them according to groups.

Metro also looks absolutely amazing on the x1..

Can't wait for release date!

I wish everyone would remember that their opinion on how a UI looks is not the final say for the world. If there was a single UI that pleased everyone, we wouldn't have anything to criticize.

So basically, you chose the PS4 because you prefer its game lineup right? I mean the ps4 is offering a lot of the same features that you would find redundant, so it must be the games and/or the hardware advantage. As you said, you aren't avoiding the X1 because of its UI.

I know I'm basing my first console choice on game lineup due to the fact that most of the other features that the two consoles offer do the same thing with some minor differences.

Yeah, it's definitely partly because I'd like to play some games I've never been able to play before not having a Playstation. I feel like MS has focused more on the other features whereas they are just kind of there on the PS4 like they were on the PS3 and 360. I'm not against having the extra features but I wonder if MS's interests are wandering into trying to build a box that takes over your entire living room which I have no need or interest in. It's great for most people that don't have computers plugged into their TVs, but it's not best for me. I don't really have anything against the One, I'm just changing it up this time, but no, it's not BECAUSE of the UI, hell, I'm not a big fan of the PS4 UI either, but at least it's better than the PS3, that was awful.

The point was that the "cloud" and the Xbox Ones use for it is something that we have never seen before.  Something never used in PC Games, something unique and special.  When in reality it isn't.  It will be used for data mining, or other online aspects used in many PC games.  I am not saying it is a minus, or that it is a bad decision.   The point was that it has been done for a long time on PC's whereas Hawk was giving the impression it hadn't.

I agree that its not new tech, just an evolution of implementation. However, I don't think the platform will be limited to data mining or mmos. The fact that MS is offering free access to the resources for any developer means there is a chance to see more usage beyond the basics you mentioned.

If Hawk was trying to say that this is all brand new stuff, then that was wrong.

I agree with you that it does more than a Webcam and Mic.  However it does contain both of those, so to say it can't be used as one is false.  It has video capture and audio capture which is what I think the poster who brought it up was meaning.

Ah ok, I didn't realize Hawk had claimed it could not be used like those things. That's certainly not true.

We are seeing evolved tech, thanks to years of tech improvements in markets like pcs. My point was simply that the 'new' part comes from a device that can do more than your basic webcam and mic.

It is, however for something to be innovative it has to be done in a way we have never seen it done before.  As the One takes a lot of it's design and implementation from the PC world.. it isn't a stretch to compare the two.

But lets be fair here, both the X1 and PS4 fall into that category. In fact, I can only think of things like Kinect and the PS4 eye as pieces of tech without a direct comparison on the PC. Even those are just new designs incorporating existing tech as we know.

These consoles share a lot with pcs, and I don't think Hawk or anyone else needs to think of that as a negative. Consoles have advantages, just not in the area of tech thanks to the open nature of pcs.

Again, the point wasn't to compare PS4 and the One, but to say: It's not new, bundling features that a computer has had for a long time doesn't make something future proof.   The point is that all of these innovations, additions, changes, etc are to make it future proof.   However like hardware and operating systems on computers.. they become obsolete.  So taking things computers already do, and claiming them future proof isn't the case.

Ultimately, I agree that trying to claim any tech, especially something complex like consoles or pcs is future proof is silly. However, I don't see anything wrong with claiming your design is something that can last for a while into the future. Your software can be updated over time for example.

Sony and MS are aiming for devices that last 7-10 years, so they will rely on software updates and perhaps leveraging cloud tech more and more to keep the platforms feeling fresh down the road. MS may be more outspoken about leveraging cloud tech, but Sony is right there with them. I think MS sees their design as one that can evolve over time and therefore, 'built for the future'

Did MS even say 'future proof' in the video. Built for the future is certainly different.

Yes, what person A sees as future proof, person B sees as in the past.  Everyone will have a different opinion, which is why bold statements like "Xbox one is built for the future" is purely personal opinion.  I see it as becoming dated very quickly, both in feature sets, and ui.

Why do you think the feature set will be dated quickly? If MS sticks to updating it, there is no reason to believe it will get outdated feature wise. Same goes for the ps4.

The other nice thing about issues with the UI is that it can all change. MS and Sony can alter their UI as needed based on feedback, they proved that this gen. Who knows, maybe MS will fix the things you don't like about the UI as it goes along.

The only limitation for Sony and MS is to adding any features that require more hardware resources than the consoles can provide.

Yeah, it's definitely partly because I'd like to play some games I've never been able to play before not having a Playstation. I feel like MS has focused more on the other features whereas they are just kind of there on the PS4 like they were on the PS3 and 360. I'm not against having the extra features but I wonder if MS's interests are wandering into trying to build a box that takes over your entire living room which I have no need or interest in. It's great for most people that don't have computers plugged into their TVs, but it's not best for me. I don't really have anything against the One, I'm just changing it up this time, but no, it's not BECAUSE of the UI, hell, I'm not a big fan of the PS4 UI either, but at least it's better than the PS3, that was awful.

Hey, that's a perfectly fine reason to make your choice.

I happen to like both consoles due to the game lineup we know about right now. I'm not really concerned with how much MS focuses on non-gaming content as long as they are still providing good game content and game features. I've seen enough evidence that they are to want an X1 along with a PS4. Plus, I plan to use the other media features both offer.

If I didn't like the game lineup for the X1, I wouldn't be getting one till that changed.

Calling something with non-upgradable hardware "future proof"... ROFLMAO.

Did they say future proof in the video?

never owned a Playstation, but I will when the PS4 comes out. No X1 for me, but that's mostly because of the pointless redundant features for me

Hate to point it out to you but PS4 has pretty much exact same feature set as XB1, here is a handy list

-TV (HDMI or streaming)

-Game recording

-Social sharing

-Motion controls with Kinect/Move

-Movies/Music service 

Cloud is a marketing term for servers.  

.. the kinect is just that.  It is a camera.. that can transfer video over the internet.. and has built in microphones

While you are technically correct about "Cloud", it is mostly used to describe a larger network of general purpose servers with datacenters spread worldwide instead of just a bunch of servers in single location.

This is in a way new than the traditional MMO implementation. The big deal about XB1 cloud is that all developers have it available "for free" in the dev. tools.

If Kinect was "just a camera with a mic", it wouldn't include multiple cameras such as ToF or IR. Neither would it much more complex AV processors than simple webcams.

Both of which will undoubtedly have media and other services..  i laugh inside a little bit reading your posts as if people are supposed to be buying dedicated devices these days.  The beauty of X1 is "ONE" device to do it all..   i guess the marketing doesn't work with you but at the same time, you think that Sony and steambox won't do the same "one" device aspect?

i dont want a device that does it all, why do i need three devices just to watch tv?? isnt that a waste of power when we should be cutting back? Look the xboxone looks great, there are alot of great hardware in it, but for me i just want to turn on my console see my current installed games, play what i want turn it off. I dont want ads about movies or music put in ads for games sure! BTW i have steam big picture hooked up and when i change to HDMI2 i have three options STORE LIBRARY COMMUNITY, Looks clean simple great imho.

i dont want a device that does it all, why do i need three devices just to watch tv?? isnt that a waste of power when we should be cutting back? Look the xboxone looks great, there are alot of great hardware in it, but for me i just want to turn on my console see my current installed games, play what i want turn it off. I dont want ads about movies or music put in ads for games sure! BTW i have steam big picture hooked up and when i change to HDMI2 i have three options STORE LIBRARY COMMUNITY, Looks clean simple great imho.

Look at the screenshots for the X1, the Home screen is devoid of ALL ads. The only 'ads' is the recommended section, which will change based on what you use the X1 for.

I really don't see the difference between Steam big picture mode and the X1. It may have more sections across the top, but it doesn't seem to get in the way of me playing my games when I want to.

As far as not wanting an all in one solution, the unfortunate truth is that all of these companies are going that way. The PS4 does this, Valve's SteamOS/Steambox will does this, and of course the X1 does this.

The era of gaming-only devices is gone at least for the moment. Heck, even the OUYA is an all-in-one device.

• Like 1

Why do you need to have 3 devices just to watch TV?  All i have is my Receiver, TV and Xbox..  Xbox 360 already does 100% of my media and Xbox one just continues to evolve and improve the process.   I'd always need a TV and always need a Receiver for my setup so whatever is in the middle will always be the 3rd device.

Why wouldn't you want everything integrated?

What's all the hate on ads when no one but Microsoft and their testers know what ads are there if any at all to begin with?  I have no problems with them - its usually reminding me of a sale / game coming up and the others i just skim through so quick i don't notice them because i'm jumping right into what i want to do.

I want my console to do more than games because i'm not spending 600 bucks just to play games...  

There used to be a day when people thought PC's should only be doing WYSIWYG word processing and lotus worksheets

Why do you need to have 3 devices just to watch TV?  All i have is my Receiver, TV and Xbox..  Xbox 360 already does 100% of my media and Xbox one just continues to evolve and improve the process.   I'd always need a TV and always need a Receiver for my setup so whatever is in the middle will always be the 3rd device.

Why wouldn't you want everything integrated?

What's all the hate on ads when no one but Microsoft and their testers know what ads are there if any at all to begin with?  I have no problems with them - its usually reminding me of a sale / game coming up and the others i just skim through so quick i don't notice them because i'm jumping right into what i want to do.

I want my console to do more than games because i'm not spending 600 bucks just to play games...  

There used to be a day when people thought PC's should only be doing WYSIWYG word processing and lotus worksheets

well under MS idea, you would plug in your receiver to pass tv though xbone to your tv. For my setup i just turn on my TV use plex app to steam content or watch ota channels. i guess i could be over bitching about the ads, but not hot on the idea! Sure spending 600$ on a item you want the most out of it, but i dont want to feel like i looking a 90s version of yahoo search page!

well under MS idea, you would plug in your receiver to pass tv though xbone to your tv. For my setup i just turn on my TV use plex app to steam content or watch ota channels. i guess i could be over bitching about the ads, but not hot on the idea! Sure spending 600$ on a item you want the most out of it, but i dont want to feel like i looking a 90s version of yahoo search page!

Hey, that's a completely fair position. I don't want a page filled with ads either, I was just saying that MS doesn't seem to be going in that direction with the X1 from the footage so far.

You mentioned using Plex. Well one of the reasons I'm interested in the X1 is that MS demoed using Win 8 apps on the X1 and made it clear that they planned to allow such apps to be used.

I currently have two htpcs built that are small boxes under my tvs that serve all of my media using the MediaBrowser software (basically works like Plex if your not familiar with it). If MS actually allows apps to be pushed from Win 8, then I will be able to use my MediaBrowser app for Win 8 on the X1. That would mean I can eliminate the need for an htpc under my tv (I would have my consoles there as well regardless) and the MB app can handle all of me media playback needs. Its a win-win for me.

What game is this?

Forza Motorsport 5

Hey, that's a completely fair position. I don't want a page filled with ads either, I was just saying that MS doesn't seem to be going in that direction with the X1 from the footage so far.

You mentioned using Plex. Well one of the reasons I'm interested in the X1 is that MS demoed using Win 8 apps on the X1 and made it clear that they planned to allow such apps to be used.

I currently have two htpcs built that are small boxes under my tvs that serve all of my media using the MediaBrowser software (basically works like Plex if your not familiar with it). If MS actually allows apps to be pushed from Win 8, then I will be able to use my MediaBrowser app for Win 8 on the X1. That would mean I can eliminate the need for an htpc under my tv (I would have my consoles there as well regardless) and the MB app can handle all of me media playback needs. Its a win-win for me.

VLC on XB1 would be cool.