Photo

Galactic Civilizations III Announced!

galactic civilizations iii stardock pc

35 replies to this topic

#31 OP Island Dog

Island Dog

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 September 2014 - 19:44

You mean the different types of weaponry and shields you can research?

Also, there's a Lets Play on YouTube from the Lead Designer which is a nice overview of the beta.

#32 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:29

That's alright I guess, thanks for the response.

I have so many newish turn based games I haven't even touched...so I guess I'm done buyin em.

#33 OP Island Dog

Island Dog

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 October 2014 - 20:03

Beta 2 is now available!  It brings diplomacy, trade, the Krynn, and more. :)

• Diplomacy – Make friends, broker deals, and threaten uppity neighbors in your bid for galactic dominance
  • Trade – Boost your economy through trade, or take a more proactive approach by raiding enemy trade routes
  • The United Planets – Enact game-altering edicts, embargo your rivals, or face the wrath of a galaxy united by defying the council’s resolutions
  • The Krynn – Take control of the Krynn faction: a conglomeration of alien species whose government is in the pocket of organized crime
  • Expanded Interface – Effortlessly command a galaxy full of colonies and fleets with rally points, mass upgrades, and more

Full changelog is here.

#34 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 October 2014 - 20:20

I figured that's what "partner" meant under your pic but the St. Cloud, FL location threw me.  I thought all the Stardock guys were in Michigan.  Anyway thanks for the updates!

"Island Dog" is in fact the "nom de Neowin" of Stardock CEO Brad "Rad" Wardell - as such, he's been rather commonplace here on Neowin.

The "Rad" goes back to the original Galactic Civilizations - which was my first exposure to Stardock's gaming side.  (My original exposure to Stardock itself was Object Desktop.)

#35 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 17 October 2014 - 20:20

I would have hoped it would be a larger graphical improvement over GalCiv2. It's not a bad-looking game by any means, but it's not very impressive for its time either. The characters in diplomacy look nice but the main strategy screen is somewhat unexciting. SoaSE and Beyond Earth are quite a bit more fun to look at.

#36 Beyond Godlike

Beyond Godlike

Neowinian

Posted 17 October 2014 - 20:44

Given that Stardock has bombed every game release other than Sins of a Solar empire, i'm staying clear.  Theyve burned me multiple times with Demigod and Elemental.  The game will run, but multiplayer will be totally broken like the other games they messed up.  When their staff posts on their forums 'just buy it and put it down for 6 months while we fix it'...they lose all credibility.