Girls, 12 and 14, arrested in death of bullied Florida girl who killed hers

'Bullied' on-line is wholly different from real life bullys.

Nothing hard about clicking off the computer.

They are real life bullies, and they get to bully you more often because they can do it online as well as in person.

If you really think that there is a difference, please don't have kids.

:rolleyes: are you really that ignorant or just acting like it?

A town near where I live was recently one of the first in the nation enacting laws to hold parents responsible for kids who bully other kids. Sounds like this town could use such a law as well.

Middleton or Verona?

Not really if the bullies are the same people. I'd even say it's more aggravating and depressing if a real life bully bullies you online too after school.

• Like 3

This is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read on the internet.

• Like 3

You all are definitely quite young and really know little about being "bullied". It's all about trust to correct people, but noooooo.... internet is the problem. Expected response from expected people.

This is one of the most ignorant things I have ever read on the internet.

These attitudes are what's weakening the youth of the world.

Your comment aside, all the boo hooing and sticking up for the poor on-line bullied 'victims' is causing a lot more harm than good, and weakening the overall kids and their means to stick up for themselves...

Treat them as victims, and they stay victims.

She is in TKD, with Judo mixed in with the style.  At her current rank, they have her mostly concentrating on weapons (bo staff and nunchuks), throws, and gun/knife disarms.

I agree on the Judo part, it is very effective.  I hear ya about there always being a tougher one out there, but luckily bullies typically do not go after risky targets.  They want to easy ones to minimize chance of harm or shame to themselves.

She is only 10 (will have her black belt by the end of next year).  She already told me that once she gets her black belt, she wants to start another style, either Kenpo or Judo.

if there is a place that teaches it near you, I would highly suggest Krav Maga. I remember reading it in "offical Playstation Magazine" for Australia. Really good stuff and if I have kids, I would send them to this guys class.

if there is a place that teaches it near you, I would highly suggest Krav Maga. I remember reading it in "offical Playstation Magazine" for Australia. Really good stuff and if I have kids, I would send them to this guys class.

My wife would never allow krav maga lol.

Your comment aside, all the boo hooing and sticking up for the poor on-line bullied 'victims' is causing a lot more harm than good, and weakening the overall kids and their means to stick up for themselves...

No amount of sticking up for them resulted in suicide.

I'd hate to hear what you have to say about rape.

Doesn't change the fact that the kid was raised to be weak, as the other kids were raised to be bullies.

Or the bullies were not properly parented and taught how to treat others.  Kids are mean even when I was in high school before computers got really popular and before social media.  Now kids have new means/ways to torment others.  Bullying has always been an issue but now it has gotten out of control with everyone being  connected, lazy parenting, and parents to busy with their own lives, or other aspects, to properly parent their kids.  One of the dads quoted in the OP said that he doesnt believe his kid could be a bully and the bullies still had access to the social media sites.  Parents should investigate accusations against their kids and not juts brush them off.

And raising kids to be week?  Lets see how you handle things when you have about 15 people insulting you and treating you like crap all the time.  You may be older so suicide may not be a thought for you, but young kids are impressionable, immature, and  take things way differently  than adults.

• Like 4

Or the bullies were not properly parented and taught how to treat others.  Kids are mean even when I was in high school before computers got really popular and before social media.  Now kids have new means/ways to torment others.  Bullying has always been an issue but now it has gotten out of control with everyone being  connected, lazy parenting, and parents to busy with their own lives, or other aspects, to properly parent their kids.  One of the dads quoted in the OP said that he doesnt believe his kid could be a bully and the bullies still had access to the social media sites.  Parents should investigate accusations against their kids and not juts brush them off.

And raising kids to be week?  Lets see how you handle things when you have about 15 people insulting you and treating you like crap all the time.  You may be older so suicide may not be a thought for you, but young kids are impressionable, immature, and  take things way differently  than adults.

^

applause.gif

Perfectly said. Giving this .gif because clicking "Like" just wasn't adequate.

• Like 2

^

Perfectly said. Giving this .gif because clicking "Like" just wasn't adequate.

Thanks   :)

I was a bully as a kid especially to a certain individual.  Things got a little bad and I was suspended from school and got in BIG trouble at home.  Major talking to by my parents, grounding, extra chores....  And know what?  I actually became friends with the kid I was bullying.

oh no, people are talking bad about me online... my life is over. boo hooooooooooo

I am sorry, but how the hell are kids being raised that they can't seem to stand up for themselves and move to suicide as an answer? I hear all these news stories about kids being bullied online and facebook, and think... why the **** can't they just turn the internet off and go out and live life and make friends of their own?

Seriously, the bigger issue than some snot nosed bullies is the fact that the parents can't raise a well adjusted kid that can think for themselves and stop being bullied. I wager other issues were happening in the kid's life... probably at home and with the parents themselves.

Parents place their kids in f#cking bubble wrap these days.  They instantly jump and attack anything negative about their kids - you see it all the time; nobody loses in competition anymore because it might hurt little Timmy's feelings.  Schools are changing the grading systems because little Sally is an idiot and the parents can't accept it.  The list goes on and on.

Yet, once these kids get out into the real world, they suddenly can't accept the reality that they truly are idiots or are overweight.  They've been smothered in so much parental protection, they cannot socially respond because they've never been taught how to or even experienced having to face such issues. 

Parents place their kids in f#cking bubble wrap these days.  They instantly jump and attack anything negative about their kids - you see it all the time; nobody loses in competition anymore because it might hurt little Timmy's feelings.  Schools are changing the grading systems because little Sally is an idiot and the parents can't accept it.  The list goes on and on.

Yet, once these kids get out into the real world, they suddenly can't accept the reality that they truly are idiots or are overweight.  They've been smothered in so much parental protection, they cannot socially respond because they've never been taught how to or even experienced having to face such issues. 

So what explains the suicides before they get out into the real world?

I was bullied when I was in school.  This was before computers really, but I had people chasing me all the way home. Needless to say, I fought a lot.  Sometimes I was a victor, sometimes not.  It never stopped the bullying problem though.  I was miserable and life sucked.

Was it because my parents were soft on me?  Heh, my father used to backhand me and if I fell down he would kick me.    Bullies loved to tell everyone that the bruises and black eyes I had were from them when it was actually my father.

Summary:

You have no idea what you are talking about.  Nobody ever losing has nothing to do with bully issues or reactions to it.  That is an issue, yes, but not the one here.

• Like 2

So, again, blame the victims. Right.

So what explains the suicides before they get out into the real world?

I was bullied when I was in school.  This was before computers really, but I had people chasing me all the way home. Needless to say, I fought a lot.  Sometimes I was a victor, sometimes not.  It never stopped the bullying problem though.  I was miserable and life sucked.

Was it because my parents were soft on me?  Heh, my father used to backhand me and if I fell down he would kick me.    Bullies loved to tell everyone that the bruises and black eyes I had were from them when it was actually my father.

Summary:

You have no idea what you are talking about.  Nobody ever losing has nothing to do with bully issues or reactions to it.  That is an issue, yes, but not the one here.

And yet, your exposure to such things taught you to fight back; to stand up for yourself.  No one ever wins every physical battle.  But you won every psychological one.  As opposed to kids these days.  Had teens these days been warped back in time and placed in your shoes, they would have been beat up the first time, gone home and killed themselves because they've never experienced being teased at all.

You basically proved my entire point.  Kids back then were taught (or discovered through experience over time) that the world is not fair.  That everyone isn't treated equal.  That there is as much evil as good.  That you either take a beating or learn to fight back (be it by fists or your mind). That you learn through experience what triggers people, how to avoid it, and how to deal with it.

By the way, I was also beaten by my dad, as well as my older brothers and their friends.  I too won some, lost some, but ALWAYS knew how to handle things, prevent reoccurrence, and proceed onward.  

The utter lack of any sort of real understanding of how kids go about their daily existence in a world in which all they have known is an online presence in this thread is utterly staggering.

These kids have grown up online. This is the truth of the situation.

Their social lives are tightly integrated with their online presence.

I do not believe this is a good thing mind you, however it is the truth of the situation.

So understanding this, to dismiss online bullying as not a big deal is truly dumbfounding to me.

Imagine if when you opened up your email it was nothing but spam. That is it. No actual emails. Just spam after spam.

Sure, you would just ignore it after awhile, but the fact still exists, your Inbox has been taken over my worhtless junk email.

Now try to imagine if instead of your Inbox, it was your profile on social networks. In the place of SPAM would be countless messages telling you that you are worthless, no good, and your existence is irrelevant.

Again, sure, you can ingore it, but again, it does not dismiss the fact these messages exist.

Add to this fact that young kids are still growing up. They are still figuring out their place in this world, and then perhaps you can sympathize for a second that perhaps, just perhaps, you could then agree that Yes, this would be a pretty awful existence.

Now take this existence offline. Those same people telling you how worthless you are on your computer are now right in front of you, telling you the same things to your face.

So your existence, day and night, is people picking on you.

That would wear on the strongest of adult minds. Never-mind a kid's mind, who is still trying to figure out this thing called life.

There is also the pack mentality. Once one person sees another getting away with something, they are more inclined to join that person. So what starts as one person quickly becomes two, which quickly becomes 4, and before you know it, you can easily have fifteen people ganging up on one lone person.

Seriously, it did not take much effort at all for me to put myself in that one persons shoes.

Those of you who are talking so big and bad about how it is not a big deal and so what and that person who is being affected in a negative way by the bullying is just weak and as such it is their fault clearly lack the ability to empathize with another persons situation.

It is exactly this type of thinking that is the real issue. You are quick to point to bad parenting, yet chances are very, very strong those bad parents look at things the same exact way you do. With no empathy towards others. No wonder things like this happen, as people only look out for themselves.

This is a true shame in all regards, and is much more widespread than we can even begin to imagine. Until everyone does not have the same attitudes that are on display in this thread by certain people, it will continue to be an issue.

You paraphrased everything I and others said in other posts and the boo hooers love you... insane.

No joke bullying is real, but the kids now-a-days are *******. Really, it stems from the parents and the world around them... and judging by the poor you people around here, I weep for the future.

On separate points...

People on here are also saying well, kids now-a-days are just on-line all the time and their lives revolve around that... well ****, how did that happen??? Parents turned their jobs over to phones, PCs, tablets, and the like, and have their kids doing whatever they want whenever they want.

Hence, my point stands... the bullied kids are wussy and boo hooo I have to be online and whatnot snot nosed kids that are ill-equipped for the real world...

Survival of the fittest is touted, yet when it happens... people whine and want it the other way. boo hoo

Grow up and teach the kids how to live right.

You paraphrased everything I and others said in other posts and the boo hooers love you... insane.

No joke bullying is real, but the kids now-a-days are *******. Really, it stems from the parents and the world around them... and judging by the poor you people around here, I weep for the future.

On separate points...

People on here are also saying well, kids now-a-days are just on-line all the time and their lives revolve around that... well ****, how did that happen??? Parents turned their jobs over to phones, PCs, tablets, and the like, and have their kids doing whatever they want whenever they want.

Hence, my point stands... the bullied kids are wussy and boo hooo I have to be online and whatnot snot nosed kids that are ill-equipped for the real world...

Survival of the fittest is touted, yet when it happens... people whine and want it the other way. boo hoo

Grow up and teach the kids how to live right.

You sound just like my step father, who physically and mentally abused those around him under the guise of "toughening" them up.